General Fiction posted July 31, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A sea of tears for those who gave everything!

Fulfilling My Mission

by Dick Waters


I came to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to comfort a close friend. However, she did not know my other reason.

As I watched the guard march across the black mat, I wondered what my life would be like if my best friend had indeed returned. I watched the changing of the guard, which was very applicable to why I chose this honorable place.

It was cold, but I was feeling the moisture on my back. I felt the first tear escape, quickly followed by another. These guards must see women crying everyday, and it wouldn't surprise me if they saw men crying too. However, they probably wondered why I was all alone in tears.

Paul, her husband, shared that he was concerned about the war in Afghanistan and wondered what our country expected to get out of it. However, he joined the Marines. I could have predicted his choice, but Peggy was floored when he announced he had joined. She had later shared with me that she was pregnant. She swore me to secrecy about it, as she knew Paul would most likely change his plans.

I was at Paul's parents' farm when he told them he had enlisted and joined the Marines. He caught his mother when she turned white. Maybe she also knew what would happen to him.

Peggy received the letter two years ago that he was missing in action. Another subsequent letter stated that several remains were found and tested, confirming that his DNA did match. I later attended his ceremony with Peggy and his parents here at Arlington.

I think he knew what was going to happen to him over there. Before he deployed; he told me he was concerned and he asked me to take care of Peggy if anything happened. Now, there were two of them to take care of.

Years ago, Peggy and I had dated. However, when they started dating, I soon realized how much they loved each other, and decided to give them their space. Fortunately, Peggy has been comfortable with my presence at her daughters' birth and even her daughter's birthday parties.

Today, I have the ring in my pocket, and if she will have me, I am prepared to fulfill my mission...now, to all three of them.



A Deep Secret writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The topic for this writing contest is: a deep secret. Share a story based on the topic.


Oh, how I wish this was just a secret kept between two friends...
For Memorial Day 2023.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.