Letters and Diary Fiction posted September 11, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Don't forget the brave hearts.

Have We Forgotten?

by Sally Law


How could we forget that day or the brave ones buried in the dust and flames? So many lives... so much heartache and loss.

Forgive me for not saying thank you yesterday as I normally do. I move slower these days.

You were so selfless--a young man with much to live for. How'd you do it? My mind can't take it in, no matter how many times I relive it.

Today, many have forgotten that day and the many just like you. Your badge said, "To protect and serve." That you did. It was much more than a piece of metal; it was you. You did your job so heroically; and here I am, sitting with a mask on to pay my respects.

You'd be surprised at how things here have changed. The city has been much altered... the police defunded and disrespected. Violence, crime, destruction of property and livelihood sweep our city. No one dares to be out after dark because that's when the violence begins, unchecked. Who would have thought? The bad actions of a few have wiped out the heroic actions of the many.

I have the brave in my memory, and I'll tell it to anyone who will listen.

Choosing to blank out our history seems to be the travesty of our day. I vow here and now not to forget you, your name, or your face as you squeezed my hand that day and told me everything was going to be all right. That's etched into my heart and mind forever.

I called your precinct after being released from the hospital on September 15th, and they said you were still missing.

Your body wasn't recovered until October 2nd, along with your crushed helmet.

Tell me, how could I possibly forget?



Recognized

#114
2020


https://youtu.be

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.