Supernatural Fiction posted July 21, 2020 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chapter of Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Prisoner

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. This is a rewrite, so if you notice any mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Hours later, Abbey awoke from heavy sedation and looked wildly around her, trying to perceive her surroundings. But what she found brought back all the memories of the endless lab tests she’d suffered as a child. Treating her as less than human, Dr. Autenburg’s men had shackled her wrists and ankles like a dangerous animal, bound to the wall by thick chains. Even though someone had clothed her, Abbey’s state of mind was physically exposed and vulnerable.

Her breathing came out erratically as she glanced around the enclosed, dark space she found herself trapped in. Gritting her teeth, she pulled and tugged against the tight restraints until they cut into her skin.

A noise filtered through the walls, coming from the next room, and she froze. It was the disturbing sound of a blunt object hitting flesh. Sudden terror tore through her body at the sound of a high-pitched shriek, the sound of someone in unspeakable agony. As the screams persisted, she recognized the voice.

She scooted against the wall, lifted her head toward the ceiling, and closed her eyes, squeezing them tight. “Oh, God, no,” she gasped. “Father...”

She tucked her knees against her chest and rocked herself back and forth, weeping, not just from fear, but from the horror her father was enduring. Both Dr. Autenburg and Dr. Crane had tried to break her until she no longer cared whether she lived or died. When their tireless efforts to force Abbey to shift into her Lupa failed, they became frustrated. Her ability to withstand pain was proving difficult. It was hard to hurt someone who just didn’t care. But what she did care for were her father and Steven.

When the door opened, the flash of light blinded Abbey. With her eyes squinted, she could barely make out the images that entered the room.

“You have proved ein disappointment,” Dr. Autenburg said in a thick German accent. “Now your father vill pay zee price for your continuous defiance, Fräulein Abigail.”

She scrambled to her feet as they shoved her father to the floor. “Father!” she cried out.

The door slammed shut behind him, plunging the cell into temporary darkness once more.

She dropped to her knees and tried to wrap her arms around him, but the short chains that bound her wrists and ankles wouldn’t reach far enough.

“Oh, my God.” Her voice trembled. “Daddy, are you okay?”

His breaths came in low, pain-filled rasps as he reached out to her. “I’m okay, sweetheart,” Jonah said in a whispered voice.

“I’m so sorry,” she pleaded with her sobs. “It’s my fault. They’re punishing you because of me.”

She could feel his battle as he struggled to move. Then slowly he maneuvered himself closer and grasped hold of her hand. “No, Abbey. Don’t blame yourself for this. You didn’t do anything.”

She never felt so helpless in her life. She didn’t know what to do—she wanted to offer him comfort if nothing else. Lightly squeezing his hand, she whispered, “What did they do?”

“Ah, honey, don’t worry about me. I’ll be okay,” Jonah gritted out. “Nothing’s broken. Besides, you know I will heal in no time.”

She knew her father was an Adalwolf, but she couldn’t stand the thought of him suffering because she refused to turn. Rage built in her veins until her blood simmered and boiled. She could feel the she-wolf from inside itching to be released. She hated Dr. Autenburg and all his bastard colleagues as much as she imagined ever hating anyone, but here and now, her anger was dangerous.

“Those bastards,” she spat, her voice ending in a growl. “I’ll make them pay for what they did to you.”

Jonah squeezed her hand to offer her comfort and tensed in pain. “Please, sweetheart. You must stay calm. Don’t let your anger get out of control.”

She could feel his gaze burning into her even though the darkness prevented her from seeing much more than the outline of her father’s face. Slipping his hand from hers, he reached up and caressed her cheek. She knew what he was telling her. He’d always warned her as she grew up. Don’t let the anger take control, Abbey, even if it came to the worst. Never reveal your Lupa to them.

“You’re a survivor, Abbey. Don’t worry about me. What they’ve done to me is nothing I can’t heal from, honey. Have faith that I can endure, and don’t react to anything they do to me.”

Tears slipped down her cheeks. It was telling that even now, when her father appeared so beaten, that his strength held them both up. If he could suffer so much, then so could she.

“What do we do, now?” she asked, infusing strength into her voice.

“They’ll probably leave us here with no food or water. Try to wear us down. If that doesn’t work, they’ll take another shot at me.”

Despite her restraint not to become angry, she couldn’t control the shiver that racked her body.

“Maybe if I turn... I can, somehow, get away.”

“No, Abbey,” he demanded. “You do nothing, and I mean nothing. You do whatever it is you have to do to keep from turning. Trust me, honey. I’ve tried using my Adalwolf against them. They will only sedate you. I’ll get us out of this Abbey, I swear.”

The door suddenly burst open, bringing with it a blinding flood of light. Jonah lifted himself upright on his knees, and Abbey didn’t know how he’d managed after what had been done to him only moments ago. She knew it had been excruciating, as he got to his feet, his hands fisted at his sides.

A stream of German erupted from the doorway, and two men came into the room and took Jonah by the arms.

Stay calm, she silently said told herself. Don’t lose control. She wouldn’t give in to the anger. Her father wanted her to stay strong, like him. She wouldn’t fail him, especially when he was sacrificing so much for her.

Moments later, her mental focus snapped to full attention as she fell back against the wall to steady herself when a distant explosion rocked the compound. And then the door flew open, but this time she heard a familiar voice call out to her.

“Abbey.”

“Steven?”

“Yes, baby. It’s me,” he said, rushing toward her.

She opened her arms and swallowed back a sob. The shackles attached to her wrists rattled as he gathered her close. “Abbey,” he said reassuringly. “It’s okay now.”

Her knees buckled as realization set in. Steven tightened his arms around her before she fell. She anchored herself to him, holding on for dear life.

He pulled back and ran his hand over her face, wiping the tears away. “Abbey, we need to get out of here now.

Her brow wrinkled in question. “What happened?”

“I’m not sure.” He shook his head. “I barely made it out of my cell. The walls completely collapsed. We’ve got to go before the whole compound crumbles.”

She lifted her bound hands and extended them. “How are we going to get these off?”

When he reached for the chains attached to her ankles and wrists, she shuddered as she looked into his eyes. Steven’s green irises shifted into a shimmering white glow. They reminded her of two brilliant, sparkling diamonds.

She watched as his body transformed into the most beautiful creature. Steven’s skin took on a luminous sheen, expanding until his frame grew twice the size. Powerful muscles bulged atop his bare chest, and claws jutted from his hands and feet.

Without any effort, he snapped the chains like twigs, freeing her ankles and wrists. “Abbey, let’s go,” he said, his voice sounding deeper and distorted.

As he reached for her hand, another blast hit the compound, shaking the walls. Steven quickly grasped hold of Abbey to steady her.

With his hand gripping hers, he tugged her forward. “Come on. Let’s get out of here.”

When they got to the center of the facility, she stopped when she heard screams in the near distance. “Wait. What about my father? We need to find him.”

“We don’t have time, Abbey,” he said, pulling at her arm. “If we wait any longer, we’ll get trapped inside.”

Her expression became desperate. “But we can’t just leave him behind. What about the other prisoners held captive?” she pleaded with him. “We can’t let them all die.”

Steven shook his head. “I promised your father I would get you to safety.”

When she opened her mouth to disagree, windows exploded everywhere, sending slivers slicing her small frame. Then she hit the floor as he threw her down and covered her with his body. A portion of the ceiling came crashing down, nearly hitting them, and electric lights shattered in an explosion of glass and sparks. Only the glow of a few fluorescent tubes lit their surroundings, casting flickering shadows over them.

“Cover your ears!” he yelled.

Abbey barely had time to cover her ears before a tremendous impact shook the compound, as though a bomb had gone off. The palms of her hands did little to stop the concussion from the blast.

Before she could collect herself, Steven was dragging her to a small opening in the wall a short distance away.

Panic flooded her as she grasped at the fate of her father. “No!” she screamed, a growl forming at the back of her throat. And then unbridled fury took control, awakening the she-wolf inside her.

As she embraced the change, bristling dark fur erupted from her skin, and her teeth tugged painfully at the roots. She no longer looked human as she rose to her feet. Her eyes were pools of molten blackness. When her petite frame swelled to massive proportions, shredding her constricting clothes, Steven shouted, “Please, Abbey! No!”

Although it was too late. Her transformation was almost complete. A canine snout protruded from her face, and sharp teeth filled her gaping jaws as she threw her head back and howled, echoing across the facility and beyond.

With a driving force to rescue her father, Abbey dropped onto all fours and bolted toward a long passageway in the building, putting as much distance as possible between them.

Out of the corner of his eye, Steven caught sight of dust and debris raining down from above. Shit! He ducked into a narrow hallway as the ceiling came crashing down into the center of the compound with a thunderous roar. Chunks of concrete slammed into the floor like meteors. Steven threw a hand up against the wall to steady himself. When tremors shook the floor, he began to fear that she would be buried alive.

To be continued...

 



Book of the Month contest entry


A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have superstrength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for his bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with superstrength, they can move from one place to another with supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them, and they are immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA (she-wolf) - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, but the moon has no power over them. The species only affects female offspring. A Lupa is a dangerous creature which shapeshifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.

Abbey (a.k.a. Abigail Winthrop) - She inherited the genetics of a Lupa from her mother and is bonded with Steven Craven.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.