Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted July 11, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The diversity of a Nation.

Cold, Hard, Facts

by poetwatch

We are making history as we breathe behind a mask. We get to live another day. Ain't that wonderful? We can hide in a crowd and if we see someone we don't like, we can stick our tongue out or blow them a raspberry (silently). We can do anything behind a mask. But the cold, hard facts are that our actions define who we are.

There is no deceit in a statue. It's just cold hard stone. Yet, people are rising up and destroying the structures of the past. Their claim is that they're not destroying the past just the injustice, "the hate crimes" committed by these civil war statues.

If we the people have not learned from the wrongs committed by those in the past, how are we to grow? Before the people do any more harm they should ask themselves these questions. What did this statue do to me? Did it violate my civil rights? Did it insult me? Did it take away my freedom of speech? Did it take my right to march and declare that it should not be? Did it take my freedom, my liberty away?

If that statue committed any one of these things, then, remove it! But, then again, you may be violating its civil rights to exist.

THEY WERE ALL VETERANS! Who are these people that they should step on the graves of those that fought for what they believed in? There was no right or wrong in the Civil War only a difference of opinion--it was brother against brother, friend against friend. Now people are stirring the melting pot and getting it to a boil. These acts of destruction affect every person in America. The world is watching and many are laughing at the atrocities done because of a statue!

The Civil War made America what it is today, a nation of different ethnic groups where our sons and daughters keep us free. Many leave their blood on foreign soil, fighting for what they believe in... US!

We are different, like all people, we all have an opinion. The people from the past did not mask theirs and neither do we. But, they were a young Nation, and through conflict became a Great Nation. This Nation, under God, is ours and served to us on a silver platter. The past is in the past, we may not like it, but it happened. Do not take your anger out on the statues or blame the past for the injustice you feel. There is no deceit in a statue, only in the hearts of people.




Will History understand us as we hide behind our masks? Or will there be history in this land of the free?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. poetwatch All rights reserved.
poetwatch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.