Romance Fiction posted July 5, 2020 Chapters:  ...71 72 -73- 74... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan speaks with McKenzie's doctor.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 31 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Wednesday late afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 15 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

Wow, her mom killed Gus and was not only beaten but sexually molested by him her entire life. That explains a lot. The newspaper said blunt force trauma killed him, but he was stabbed. Logan continued to tightly hold McKenzie. "Mac, can I ask Trey to come in so you can meet him? I won't do it unless you're comfortable."

She nodded, so Logan began to stand, but she grabbed his hand. "Don't leave. I'm not ready."

He kissed her forehead. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Can you hold me?"

"You don't need to ask." Logan half sat and half laid on the bed, holding McKenzie as she fell back to sleep.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 31 PART 2

Later that afternoon, Bill walked into McKenzie's hospital room and grinned. As Logan started to rise, Bill whispered, "Don't get up on my account, but you don't look very comfortable."

"It seems to help her sleep. I'll do whatever's necessary for Mac."

"I understand. Ivan Smart is being arrested as we speak. I got permission from Conley for Trey to interrogate him."

"Trey will get results. I'm not sure his methods are kosher."

Bill chuckled. "He said the same thing, but Conley blessed off on it. He muttered something about it might be the only way to get to the truth. I gave him a few guidelines to make sure the confession will hold up in court. I'm hoping he'll name the man-in-charge."

"You mean Sidney Parks?" asked Logan.

"Exactly." Bill paused. "How's Mac?"

"Under the circumstances, better than most."

"Was she able to remember anything?"

"Not really."

"I heard her screaming. Did she give any information that was helpful?"

"Just a bad dream."

"I thought with all of your training you'd be better at lying."

Logan avoided eye contact. "You're right, but I'm sure if she wanted it known, she would've already told you. If it was anything that would help us now, I'd definitely tell you." He released a deep breath. "I'm not sure she was aware she told me."

"Understood." Bill started to leave, but stopped and asked, "Is it one of those things if I knew, I'd be required to act?"

Logan nodded.

"I'll be back later. Joanie wants to come by. I'm not sure Mac's up for visitors."

"She's not. Maybe tomorrow."

"Text me when you need a break. I'll sit with her. Can I bring you anything? Coffee?"

"I'm fine, but thanks."

Bill started to say something but turned and left.

*****
Early evening Dr. Gray entered the room. Logan stood. "I'm glad you're here. I'd like to ask some questions."

Dr. Gray tapped the chart he held. "I'll answer what I can." He lifted a paper and read.

"What's Mac's diagnosis? How badly was she beaten? Does she have any broken bones?" Logan glanced at her. "I guess that's a stupid question. If she did, she'd have a cast on." He chewed on his lower lip. "Was she sexually molested?"

"To ease your mind, it doesn't appear Ms. Morgan was sexually molested." Dr. Gray nodded when Logan released a deep breath, and then continued, "I can tell you're relieved. Next question, yes you're correct. She has no broken bones. We did a full body x-ray to make sure. There might be a few mini fractures. Later I want to recheck those areas."

"She's in good physical shape. She has a pretty tough work-out routine."

"I can tell." Dr. Gray rechecked the numbers. "Now for the big question; she has alcohol poisoning. Her alcohol blood level was 0.23%. If she was a regular drinker, it'd simply mean serious intoxication, but since this is her first experience with alcohol it puts her in danger. I have her on anti-seizure medication and we're hydrating her. I'm hoping to avoid problems. We pumped her stomach to get out as much as possible. Tomorrow I'll check her liver for damage. I doubt there'll be any, since she's not a drinker, but one can never be too careful."

Logan chewed on his lip as he listened.

Dr. Gray continued, "I know you're keeping a close eye on her. We're monitoring her at the nurses' desk. If you notice anything, please go ahead and let them know. It could indicate cardiac arrest. She probably needed your extra body heat beside her. Her core body temp is 94.2 degrees."

"Another symptom of alcohol poisoning?" asked Logan.

The doctor nodded. "It is." He glanced at her. "Her cuts have been cleaned so no infections should occur, but there's always a danger. This young lady's very lucky you found her."

"I'm making sure she's never at-risk, again."

"From the comments I overheard. There was nothing you could've done to stop it."

"There's always more one can do." Logan shoved his hands inside his jeans pockets. "Do you need me to leave so you can examine her?"

"I do. Why don't you get a cup of coffee?"

"I'll wait outside the door."

****
Logan sat, hunched over, and studied his hands when he heard, "Logan, how's McKenzie?" He glanced up and saw his mom and dad coming toward him. "She'll live, but still in some danger."

His dad replied, "Bill has been keeping us updated."

"Good. Sorry, I haven't called. I've been busy."

"Bill said you haven't left her side." Peter patted his son's back.

"I haven't. The doctor's with her now." Logan studied his mother. "Mom, something's bothering you. What?"

"They're cremating Megan tomorrow."

Logan ran his hands through his hair. "Mom, I can't leave Mac right now."

"I understand."

Trey walked up. "I overheard. Logan, go. Your parents need you. You need to be there. I'll stay with Mac."

"Remember her reaction the last time she woke up?"

"Simon, Jose, and I have this. You can introduce me before you leave. Simon said his wife has a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Maybe Sheila can stay. Between the three of us, we got this. Bill won't be far either. His wife will help too. You need to be with your family."

Logan took Nancy's hand. "What time?"

"It's scheduled first thing in the morning, eight o'clock."

"I'll be there." He faced Trey. "Whatever happens, don't leave her alone. I don't trust the yokels they have guarding her room. I'd feel a lot better with people knowing I'm right beside her. So if I have to leave her, even for a couple hours - let's keep it just between the six of us, okay?" He paused.

"Got it." Trey nodded.

Logan rose as the doctor left McKenzie's room. "Any change?"

Dr. Gray shook his head. "Not really. I don't expect any until tomorrow." He grinned. "Her body temp rose to 95.0. I think your body heat helped. Keep it up."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later
Trey Walker former Army buddy and now retired, lives in Kansas City and helped rescue McKenzie
Dr. Gray McKenzie's doctor



Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. This post has a little under a 1000 words. Logan struggles with McKenzie's injuries as the search continues for Megan's murderer. They get closer to becoming a couple.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.