General Non-Fiction posted July 5, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Lord Provides abundantly

Grapes, Wine and Prepping Time

by davisr (Rhonda)


I'm pleased to report my cultivated garden has become a rocking success. In spite of unseasonably cold and rainy weather earlier this summer, my vegetables have survived and flourished.

I've made so many pickles, I could feed a family of 16 for a year. 16 isn't an arbitrary number, by the way, but the size of my father-in-law's household growing up. Fourteen kids...wow, I would have joined a Hippy Commune and let my Brothers and Sisters help while I went off to meditate. But then, I digress...

On to grapes. As though my own abundant garden wasn't enough to keep me busy, my husband found a huge, and I do mean ginormously huge, wild grape patch... nay, God's Wild Vineyard.

Affectionately called Muscadine Grapes, these tart little beauties can be turned into a lovely burgundy colored juice. Giving credit to the labor intensity of the steps involved, one finds it's all worth it in the end. What's a few dozen hours of smashing, cooking and draining to get a beautiful product? Nothing.

Juice in hand, I had several choices to make. What to do, what to do?

Jelly first. I made 23 jars of delectable purple jelly. Did I need that much? Of course not, but it's useful for bribing family members to bring over grandkids.

Next was Muscadine Wine, a local delicacy. A lot of sugar, some juice, a jug of water, and a package of yeast was all I needed. I poured it into a glass jug and secured a balloon on top. I have to wait at least six to eight weeks to enjoy the product, but then I'll have something better to bribe the relatives with than jelly.

Lastly, I made grape juice for Granny. A little sugar and water added to fresh juice and then, bam, you have grape juice to rival Welch's, Concord and Walmart Brand... seriously.

And then, back to making pickles, freezing zucchini, cooking peas and drying dill. Quarantine worries? Not really. This time of the year, we practice Social Distancing as a rule. My husband, my mother-in-law and I are too busy to leave the farm, and no one shows up to visit (unless bribed) because they're afraid I'll put them to work pulling weeds and walking our new Cow-dog puppy, but he's the subject of another story.



Recognized


The photo was taken of one of the several buckets of Muscadine grapes we picked this year.
Muscadine grapes are found growing wild in our area in North Texas. I am pretty sure they are found elsewhere as well.

This story counts as my third post in a gardening series meant to archive my gardening and fulfill requirements to become a Mater Gardener, which, I am pleased to report, I have now fulfilled all volunteer hours required. I still have a few hoops to jump through before getting the coveted designation of Ellis County Master Gardener, whoop, whoop!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.