Romance Fiction posted July 4, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Co-Authored with Bill Bishop (aka Commando)

Papa's Approval

by Tootie


Greetings Friends!

Hello to all our friends on FanStory. This is Cathy (aka Tootie) and Bill (aka Commando). We're grinnin' like two possums eatin' a sweet potato! Why? Cause we know you love Billy's Grandpa and Grandma, so we're here to share with you a Smoky Mountain tale of their love affair beginning when they were young. You'll find out all about Grandpa (Lester)--his histrionic ways, plowin' days, and the makin' of moonshine and muscadine wine. You'll get to know Grandma (Elsie Mae)--her strong faith, great cookin', and why she needs her broom to keep Lester in line. You'll also find out why they like to roll in the hay from time to time! This novel will be filled with lots of jibber-jabber, cliffhangers and heaps of Smoky Mountain Love. That bein' said, let's get along--c'mon! Off we go to Chapter 1. We hope you join us there and in every chapter thereafter.

*Special Note*

Some words in our book are written in a way that is appropriate for Smoky Mountain folks; yet, are not grammatically correct. Characters will reflect earlier scenes in their lives and shall, as well, talk to the reader at times. Wider spaces between words are due to right margin justification.

~ Characters ~
Elsie Mae................................Billy's Grandma
Lester......................................Billy's Grandpa
Mr. McIntyre.......................Elsie Mae's Papa*
Mrs. McIntyre.................Elsie Mae's Momma*
Mr. Burham..............................Lester's Papa*
Mrs. Burham..........................Lester's Mama*
Miss Ellie..........................................Teacher

The * identifies the characters
that are Billy's great grandparents.


*******

 
"Are you sure it's safe to jump?" Elsie Mae asks me again. I have already dove into the Little Pigeon River and, with the water up to my chest, am beckoning her to come join me. She's standin' on the edge of the bridge, and I can tell she's right scared.

"It's a matter of gettin' over your fear, that's all, Beautiful! Just close your eyes and walk a little forward. Don't ya worry none, 'cause I'm gonna catch ya and when I do...."

Splash! Well, I'll be doggone! She up and done it! Not only is she the prettiest young lady in Sevier County, Tennessee, but she also has a lot of spunk.

Although I'm known to chase any gal wearin' a skirt, I knew from the moment I met her five years ago that she was the one for me. She weren't wearin' no skirt, neither! No, she was wearin' bib overalls and chewin' on a straw of alfalfa. Another girl tried to get in her way in the schoolyard, and she pinned her down, tellin' her that ain't nobody was gonna push her around. She also told me right from the get-go there'd be no way she'd be swayed by my charm, like them other girls were. But she was wrong. It wasn't long before I changed her mind.

 
*******

It's the summer of 1918. I'm 18 and Elsie's two years younger. The hunger I have to hold her tight and make love to her today burns within my loins, but I must restrain myself from disruptin' her honor . . . at least until I ask her to marry me, which I plan to do as soon as I get permission from her papa. I told him I'd be comin' round later tonight to say a few words.

"How come ya didn't catch me like you said you would, huh?" she asks teasingly as she swims to me. She then wraps her arms around my neck, looks up at me with those bright green eyes, and smiles. My heart melts like butter in a pan. I bend down and kiss her succulent lips, then lovingly tweak her pretty lit'l wet nose. "Now you are one right brave woman, Elsie Mae! I didn't know you'd have the guts to do it, so I wasn't expectin' it!"

"Why, of course I was gonna. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here right now. C'mon, give me another one of them sweet kisses. You know one ain't enough!"

 
*******

"Here Lester, would ya like a little snuff?" Mr. McIntyre asks as he opens a small tin and extends it to me.

"No thank you, Sir," I respond. "Don't particularly like the stuff. Prefer chewin' on peppermint leaves instead."

"Suit yourself," he replies as he reaches into the tin, pulls out a small wad of it, and places it in his mouth. His right cheek bulges as it finds its home between his gums and chin bone.

"Okay, what'cha got to say to me, Son?" His voice is now slightly slurred. I'm not sure if it's 'cuz of the chewin' tobacco, or if it's because I saw him sneakin' a couple swigs of moonshine before I joined him on his front porch.

He doesn't look straight at me. Instead, he's lookin' out yonder at the peaks of the Smoky Mountains in the distance. Not far from here is Cherokee, North Carolina, where my daddy came from before he married my momma.

Maybe it's easier this way, I think. Then, I won't see the expression on his face when I tell him.

"Mr. McIntyre, I'd like your daughter's hand in marriage. I'm headin' off to the war soon, and I ain't sure if I'll be comin' back again. I may die fightin', but I love her, and I know she loves me. Maybe it's selfish, but I want us to be man and wife before I go. That way I'll know she'll be home here waitin' for me."

I can feel my hands shakin' and my body quakin'. This is important to me, and I'm hopin' her daddy will grant me his blessin's.

"Hmm, you're a fine young man; ain't nothin' wrong with ya. Your parents are good folks too--been 'round these parts for many years. Still, I gotta talk to Elsie Mae and her momma about this. She's only 16, and if you were to get killed, what are her chances of findin' another husband who'll take her? After all, I'm a man, and I know some of the reasons you're askin'. She's gotta know the consequences of her actions. However, I ain't sayin' no; I'm just sayin' I need some time to think about it.

Mr. McIntyre spits the wad of snuff outta his mouth. It clears the front porch and lands 'God knows where.' Some tobacco dribbles down his lips and he wipes it away with his plaid shirtsleeve. I'm just thinkin' now that I'm so glad I dressed up and wore some shoes today, instead of bein' barefoot like I'm used to. There ain't no way I'd be wantin' to step in that stuff when I leave here.

I stand, take my straw hat off, hold it over my heart, and salute him. "Thank you, Sir. I look forward to hearin' your answer. In the meantime, I'm a little behind with my chores, so I best get a goin'."

He rocks back in his chair, smiles slightly, and says, "When you get done with your chores, why don't you come on back here and join us for some supper. Maybe by the time we're through, I'll have an answer for you. Now run along."

 
*******
 
Will Lester get his way and permission to marry Elsie Mae? Who's to say! 
Be sure to join us another day when we post Chapter 2.
Thank you for reading. Best wishes and God Bless.
Respectfully with Admiration,
Cathy (aka Tootie) and Bill (aka Commando)



Recognized


Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this "Special Love Story." Both invite you to join them in each chapter, and they hope to make you laugh, cry, and leave you in a state of uncertainty about what will happen next. As always, your suggestions for improvement will be appreciated. Thanks for reading our work and God Bless.

About the Authors:

Bill Bishop, co-author, was born in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. After formal education, he served 30 years active duty with the U. S. Air Force, then relocated to the Panhandle of Florida. He is quick to say, "I love America, baseball, and apple pie!"

Cathy Waldron, co-author, is a native of New Hampshire. Her debut novel, in Polyester Pajamas, won the NH Writers' Project 2013/2014 Readers' Choice Award for outstanding work of fiction. She's thrilled to now be co-authoring with Bill Bishop.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tootie All rights reserved.
Tootie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.