General Fiction posted July 3, 2020 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Hatshepsut needs help - and rescuing.

A chapter in the book The Pharaoh Queen

'Death' and Escape.

by thorney



Background
Hatshepsut and her lover Senmut had kept their relationship secret for years. Because of growing opposition to the Female-Pharaoh, it had been necessary to falsify Senmut's death. Now, Hatshepsut heal
Senmut had secretly returned to his brother Amenemhet's home in Thebes a month earlier. On his first night back in the city, he was anxious to discover the depth of Hatshepsut's failing health. Therefore, he visited her apartment in the palace--using passageways only he and she knew. He soon learned she was in dire need of his assistance. Since then, every two to three days after the palace settled down for the night - he returned to check on her condition.

His kiss woke her from her drug-induced sleep. "Darling, it's me, Senmut," he whispered to her. Hatshepsut stirred and tried to open her eyes and look at him. "Senmut! Senmut, is that you?" she cried.

"Yes my love, it's me, I've come to see how you are."

Trying to sit up, she required his help. Hatshepsut shook her head in an attempt to clear her thoughts. "You shouldn't come so often; the risks are too great," she said while lifting her lips to his.

His kiss was long and lingering - after which he sat on her bed.

"I need to let you know of, and discuss the plans we are making to take you away from all of this," he said, staring at her.

She listened, while he explained the plot devised by him, Amenemhet, Neferure and her husband, Meketra. He told the Female-Pharaoh, they intended to enact the plans within three days.

Hatshepsut did not appear entirely happy at the thought of giving up her crown and 'running away.' However, the present political situation was fully explained to her by Senmut. He also reminded her of the promises she had made to him. Both the one to visit him in Punt, and the one she had made so many years ago as a young girl on a mountainside--the Pharaoh eventually consented.

Because of her semi-drugged condition and constant pain, she was not always entirely in touch with what was happening. However, she knew of the general intentions of Senmut and his co-conspirators to whisk her away. Hatshepsut was also aware deeds similar to, and every bit as terrible as those perpetrated years earlier involving Neferure's escape, were being contemplated.

It made her realise the gods were exacting the final act of their prophecy concerning:
'Thrice the feather will judge her part; thrice weighed, to reveal her heart.'

However, it seemed she was powerless to prevent the actions which would fulfil the prophecy.

During the last year, the Female-Pharaoh had spent most of her time in her apartment in the palace. Because of the pain she continuously suffered, treatments were prescribed and administered by physicians throughout the day. Most of her medication was intended to dull her torment. However, these treatments also tended to make her tired and drowsy. Almost all her administrative duties were now performed by her council, with her approval only sought to make delicate matters legal.

It was because of her continuous absence from the council's deliberations, discontent with her leadership was growing. Menkheperre's loyalists and sympathisers accounted for nearly half the council's numbers--and were steadily increasing. Some suggested the male Pharaoh Thutmosis, should return to Thebes quickly and take over full control.

Senmut, who had covertly returned to her side after falsely been declared dead for nearly a year, patiently explained the position to Hatshepsut. She thought it bordered on treason!

"The situation is so tense, my love," he stressed. "There are even some who suggest Menkheperre should arrive in Thebes with his army; there is talk about a civil war."

Hatshepsut screeched, "I have been charged by my father with the care of the Golden Throne of Khem. I am to ensure good government until I deem a strong, fit male Pharaoh is capable of rising to this high office."

Senmut tried to calm her down. "Many think -- and I'm of that opinion - you have discharged your oath and obligation to the full. Don't you think it is time for you to rest?"

She stared at him with a look of disgust. "Do you think I am no longer capable of discharging my duties?"

"Not at all, my love. I just envy your passion for Egypt, and wish in our latter years, we can spend a little more time together. You have done your duty to Khem, you have fulfilled your commitment to your father, and have achieved your obligation to Menkheperre. Although despicable, he is none-the-less a competent Pharaoh--Egypt will be safe in his hands."
Eventually -- and with reluctance -- Hatshepsut accepted the plans he lay before her.

On the evening, Senmut chose to put into operation their daring yet straightforward plan, Hatshepsut pretended to take her medication while acting muddled. She dismissed her handmaidens early--hopefully, they would later testify she appeared confused and unsettled.

Later, after the palace quietened for the night, Senmut and Amenemhet arrived through the secret passageways. They ushered the Pharaoh out to the waiting arms of her daughter and Meketra. While Neferure guided her mother away to a safe location, Senmut and his brother set about the evil actions which were required to complete the deception.

Earlier in the evening, they had located a woman close to the age of Hatshepsut, who lived alone; they silently killed her. Having committed the heinous crime, they hide the body until after the Pharaoh was rescued from the palace. The body was then recovered and clothed in some of the Pharaoh's night apparel. After leaving more of Hatshepsut's garments at the river bank where - ironically - as a young girl, she underwent her regular joining with the river-god Hapi; they proceed with the woman's corpse to a section upriver, frequented by crocodiles. After attracting the reptile's attention, they fed the woman's body to the beasts. Once again, they left some of Hatshepsut's garments at the scene; hopefully, some remnants would survive the crocodiles attack.

After completing their evil plan, they rendezvoused with the other conspirators at the place they'd agreed upon. The party then set out on the next stage of their flight -- a two-day journey - during which they only travelled by night - to Leucus Limen. A vessel waited there to take Hatshepsut and her party on to Punt.

"Did all go well?" his daughter inquired in a whisper as they proceeded East.

"I don't think I can ever call some of the events I have undertaken today, as 'going
well,'" he whispered back ruefully. "However, we accomplished what we set out to do without mishap."

They kept their voices low; Hatshepsut was totally exhausted and was now under the influence of her medication. She slept in the wagon they had provided for her passage to the Red Sea port.

"Are you sure she can handle this trip--I mean the long voyage to Punt?" a worried Neferure asked her father, "She looks awfully frail!"

"I know," he replied in a somewhat anxious tone. "I pray to all the gods my reasoning is in her best interest. However, I can think of no other solution."
Both remained in silent thought for the rest of the night.

Two days later, the vessel containing Hatshepsut, Senmut and Amenemhet sailed South to Punt. There had been tearful farewells between, mother, father, and daughter at the harbour; none knew when, or if they would ever meet again. The former Pharaoh and Senmut were heavily disguised, and only Amenemhet conversed with the crew or captain.

There had been no time for the news of Pharaoh's disappearance to reach Leucus Limen before the vessel sailed. Therefore, no reason for the crew to have any suspicions about their passengers. Both wind and sea were in their favour, and since no overnight stops were taken, the vessel made excellent time; the trip to Punt took just over seven days.

***

Neferure and her husband Meketra, made a wide detour around Thebes on their way back home. Even so, whenever they did come across an outpost or other travellers, they found Egypt was in utter turmoil over her mother's disappearance and apparent death. Some blamed Sobek, the crocodile deity for her death; many of his kind were slaughtered in revenge.

"Well. It looks as though our deception is working," Neferure stressed to her husband. "Let us pray it continues to do so," Meketra replied.

Even when they eventually arrived home at Dakhla, they found the populace in mourning and incensed at the death of Ma'at-ka-re. Days later, news came to the Dakhla Oasis that Menkheperre -- Thutmosis the Third -- had returned to Thebes and taken over complete control of his country. The update cast a calming influence over the people at the Oasis.

Neferure explained it as the return of Maat -- the rightfulness of things -- after the tragic loss of Ma'at-ka-re. Peace and tranquillity would return to Khem now the land was ruled by a Pharaoh again. She only hoped her mother and father were just as settled as Egypt was becoming.

***

In Punt, Senmut and his brother had quietly smuggled Hatshepsut from the vessel to his secluded accommodation. However, the voyage south, and now the man-handling needed to convey her to her new home, caused Hatshepsut distress and discomfort. It required a substantial sleeping potion to enable her to rest.

The following day, arrangements were made for Amenemhet's return home -- his vessel would leave in two days. A little earlier than Senmut had expected, he received the inevitable summons to the Royal Palace from the King. He was aware his servants would have informed the palace of his return, but they would also have told of the presence of his two guests. Leaving Hatshepsut in the care of his brother, Senmut presented himself to the King.

When Senmut entered what Perehu took as his Throne Room, he placed himself ten-feet from the monarch and dropped to his knees with his forehead touching the floor. The King waited a short while before barking out an order, at which, the room quickly emptied. Rising from his throne and approaching Senmut, Perehu reached out his arms and assisted his guest to rise.

"You are my brother, and all that I have I give to you. My land is your land; my warriors are your warriors-- your enemies are my enemies. Let us now talk together as brothers, and reveal to each our heart's secrets."

Senmut revealed to the King, why it had been necessary for him to flee to this land a year ago, and why his death had been falsified; now, he gave up his most sacred of secrets.

"In the Palace you built for me, sleeps the Pharaoh Ma'at-ka-re, ill and in need of help from your men of magic and medicine. She flees from her enemies, as I do. We throw ourselves at Your Majesty's mercy, and beg forgiveness for not asking permission before we fled to Ta netjer."

Perehu grasped Senmut's hand, placing it on his own chest before declaring. "Heed the words I have spoken. My war-spear will not rest in my palace if it is required to defend you. No part of my land is forbidden to you. No secret you reveal will ever be spoken--for you are my brother!"

Senmut hugged the King close to him while uttering the word, "Brother." They held this position for a short while until Perehu broke contact. He parted saying, "And now, you must have more servants to serve you and Ma'at-ka-re--and warriors to guard your Palace; two more servants -- girls I think, and five armed guards."

Senmut thanked the King profusely, adding that for security's reasons the Pharaoh should be referred to as, 'Hatnofer'--which had been his mother's name. On his return to Hatshepsut and Amenemhet, the news of his meeting with Perehu delighted both. His brother expressed his relief a security net was being proposed for the building. Remarking, his trip home would now be a happier one. He also pledged to inform Neferure, of the King's pledge and security arrangements for her parents.

***

Over the following nine months, two things became clear to Senmut. The first was, try as they might, none of Perehu's medical men could alleviate Hatshepsut's symptoms for any substantial length of time. Secondly, her general health was deaerating quickly. Senmut was seriously contemplating taking her back to Egypt. However, this decision was made easy for him when she developed an abscess on her tooth. It expanded quickly, increasing both her pain and her inability to consume anything other than water, milk or some disgusting fish gruel supplied by the locals.

"My love, it is time we returned to Khem," he whispered to her sleeping body; not wishing to disturb her rest. After informing the King of his decision, he arranged for passage back North. It would be a three-day wait until their vessel was ready to sail. During that time, her abscess burst, turning her situation from desperate to critical.
Trying -- without success -- to alleviate her complaint and pain, Perehu's physician, removed the offending tooth--it made no difference to her condition.

Hatshepsut was in a state of semi-consciousness when bearers carried her to the waiting vessel, which then set sail immediately. However, five days into the journey, it became apparent to Senmut, she was dying. He lay alongside her always, hardly rising for food or water. She spasmodically awoke, usually demanding water. During her last lucid moment two days from Egypt, she whispered to him, 'Alas, with closing eyes Ma'at-ka-re, will not see Khem!"

He did not understand the true meaning of her words; however, they were the last she spoke. Hatshepsut died shortly afterwards. Heartbroken, he lay next to her body until they arrived at Leucus Limen, in his hand he held the last relic of his love; the tooth the Punt physician had removed from her.




This was written in British English.
Although fictional, this story is based on the lives of real historical people.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. thorney All rights reserved.
thorney has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.