General Fiction posted June 30, 2020


Good
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short Story /Time stood still ?

Wings of Time

by zanya


Stepping off the train twenty-five years later, in his home town, he wondered if time had stood still.

Golden corn swayed in the summer breeze as it had done when he was a young man. He listened to the gurgling stream in the distance.

Walking through New Town's tiny square, the old hand pump was painted a bright red. It was  dark green when he was a lad.

Having received the text weeks ago about Miranda's sudden passing, he thought it would be best to meet the young man who was his son. Finally, he would have to face up to fatherhood.

Tripping on broken cobblestones, he slowly wend his way. He could feel the shiny surface of a marble in his hand.
'Josh, it's my turn,' Keith shouted. Turning around there was no one to be seen.

Mopping his sweating brow, he ambled along.

He noticed a young man coming towards him, head bent over his phone.

'HI Dad, how's it goin? I'm Josh junior. Mom's last wish was for me to check you out on Facebook.'

Josh was speechless for a moment, as he gazed at the young stranger.

Josh Jr continued to scroll.

'Hey, you're kinda cool as dads go. Will add you on my Facebook page.'

With that parting shot, Josh Jr disappeared into the distance.

Josh envied the younger generation their cool dude attitude to some of life's bigger questions.

In their universe time had not stood still. It had sprouted wings.


 



Time stood still ? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a piece of nostalgia( Fiction 250 words, title not included in word count, create a title) beginning:
Stepping off the train, twenty -five years later, in his hometown, he wondered if time had stood still.


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.