Horror and Thriller Fiction posted June 30, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
time stood still

The Runner

by Iza Deleanu


Stepping off the train, twenty -five years later, in his hometown, he wondered if time had stood still.

Dust was covering the alley in the old train station playing funny patterns on the unwashed windows. Nothing had changed. The same feeling of despair was ruling this forgotten town. He was wondering about his friends that choose to stay. He wanted to be something else, and not a prisoner of this ghost town.

As usual on the way to the local pub, he traced the memory of the town through the cemetery, the best place to keep an inventory of the residents of the town.

He was not surprised to see the names of his friends stacked on the stone monuments. "Damn, they all died so young!"

He started to count, there were more than 100 fresh graves. Pensive he started to mumble: "Why the heck I had to read that stupid letter from Casper? He was not waiting for me, and he is gone. What happened here? Why are no people on the streets? I have not seen a single dog... Something is fishy! I remember my mom saying that one day this ugly place will just cease to exist; will shrink and be gone particle by particle, but before that will bring back all the runners! Oh, my God! Now I understand. I am a runner, and the town called me back. We live and die together - exactly like on the letter!"

"Welcome to your grave, Runner!" said Death.

 



Time stood still ? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a piece of nostalgia( Fiction 250 words, title not included in word count, create a title) beginning:
Stepping off the train, twenty -five years later, in his hometown, he wondered if time had stood still.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.