Romance Fiction posted June 14, 2020 Chapters:  ...68 69 -70- 71... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and his buddies find McKenzie.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 30 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Wednesday afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 15 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

After a few minutes, he took out his phone and searched for a number. "Hello Colonel Paige, its Major Nelson." A few niceties were exchanged before he got to the point. "I was wondering if you still have friends at Scott Airforce Base." Silence. "Good. The reason I'm calling is I need a drone to fly over a specific area." Silence. "Yes, Sir, tomorrow at O-five-thirty. I'll text you the coordinates." Again silence. "I need to know how many warm bodies are there."

Logan cleared his throat during the silence. "Sir, you might be better off not knowing what I'm doing, but I can assure you the District Attorney's office has blessed off on it." A long pause. "Thank you, Sir. Once you get the okay, I'll send the coordinates." After a long sigh, he put the phone away. Hopefully he can pull that off. It would be good to know how many people we're dealing with. I don't have a sniper handy.

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 30 PART 1

The following morning, Logan finished stretching before opening the front door. Okay, men act predicable. When they started jogging behind him, he grinned. They always do.

At the gas station/convenience store, Logan bought a bottle of water, slowly drank it, and then sneaked out the back door. He waited a few moments, making sure he wasn't followed.

After meeting up with Jose, he asked, "Did you get any sleep?"

"What do you think?"

"Only a little, if any."

"You're right. How about you?"

"Exactly none. I did coordinate with someone and got us a little help. I'll fill you in when I tell the others. No sense repeating the story."

At the warehouse, Logan handed Simon a piece of paper and a map. "Here are the coordinates of the abandoned farmhouse. You and Trey recheck them to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. Scott Airforce base will send over a drone in about," he checked his watch, "thirty-five minutes."

Trey grinned. "How'd you manage that?"

Logan chuckled. "It's who you know."

Simon shook his head. "Or maybe it's a 'rank has its privileges' thing. How much did you have to tell the colonel?"

"I told him he didn't really want to know but assured him it's legal."

Bill patted his back. "So you stretched the truth."

"Only a little." Logan pointed at the paper and map. "Finish checking that and then gear up." He grabbed his clothes from Jose's bag. "I'm changing. We don't have a lot of time."

Within a few minutes, the coordinates were checked and found to be correct. They checked the weapons, ammunition, and settled inside the van.

Logan took time to look each man in the eyes before he said, "We ready?" He waited for each affirmative answer before he nodded to Bill, and said, "We'll bring back Mac, alive."

They left the warehouse and headed toward I-70."

As Jose parked the van about a half mile from the farmhouse, Logan received a text: 'Three not moving warm bodies in sitting positions upstairs in a left room. One not moving warm body lying in a far right room. Downstairs three moving bodies. Outside four moving bodies. Two in front, two in back.'

Logan replied to the text then said, "It looks like there are three hostages inside besides Mac. All being held upstairs. A total of seven guards; three inside and four on the perimeter. Not bad odds. Let's get this over with."

The three men moved quickly and silently until the farmhouse came into sight. Logan held up his hand to stop the men.

They huddled together as Logan whispered, "I want the outside guards silently subdued. Make sure the silencers are in place in case you need to use guns. If the men inside are notified, they might kill the hostages."

Trey asked, "Any suggestions?"

Logan held up his knife. "But only if necessary. We need them alive. If possible, restrain and gag."

Both men nodded.

Moving a few yards closer, Logan motioned for Simon to go right and Trey to move left. He'd continue straight.

Simon was the first to speak, "One man silenced."

Next Logan spoke, "Second man taken care of. Trey?"

Moments later, Trey said, "Third."

Simon added, "Sorry Logan, one dead. He came up behind Trey with a cocked AK47. It was him or Trey."

"Good choice. Meet me in the front. We'll go in together." As he waited for the other two, Logan said, "Bill, are you catching this?"

"Yes, good job. I saw the man aiming at Trey. I prayed Simon got there in time."

The three stood in front of the house. Simon pointed and whispered, "Should we walk through the front door?"

Logan grinned. "Why not? Only Special Forces style. Who wants to kick the door down?"

Trey chuckled. "I'm the biggest. Let me. I haven't had this much fun in a long time."

Nodding Logan said, "Let's go."

With a loud thud and well-practiced precision the three entered, and came under automatic rifle fire. Minutes later, the rescuers were victorious.

After the downstairs was cleared, Logan said, "Hopefully only one or two are wounded. Simon, do what you can. Jose, we didn't forget you. Has the helicopter checked in?"

"Yes, so far no traffic. I'm guessing you want some ambulances. How many?"

Logan looked at Simon, who held up two fingers and then aimed his rifle toward the stairs. Logan reported, "So far, four need to be arrested, one dead, and two injured. Trey and I are on our way upstairs. Get that taken care of. Wait, we know of four hostages. Add that to the list."

The two men went into the left room. Three terrified young female hostages were found bound in the corner of a dark and dusty room.

Trey knelt beside the three girls. "We're the good guys. You're safe." He took bolt-cutters and freed them. "Medical help's on the way. I'll help you downstairs." He watched Logan clear other rooms, and then said, "Bill, I have three young ladies; two in their late teens, one maybe fifteen, if that old. They're scared but okay and able to walk. No sign of Mac. Logan's still searching." He pointed to a door, "Logan, try there."

Logan opened the door and covered his nose from the stench of vomit, stale whiskey, and bodily fluids. McKenzie lay in a rumpled bloody heap on the floor unconscious. He yelled, "I found her. Not good. Simon!"

"Coming!" answered Simon.

Removing his flack vest, Logan took off his shirt and covered Mac. Nobody needs to see you like this.

Simon knelt beside Logan. "Move aside, let me tend to her." He checked her vitals. "She's alive." He glanced at Logan. "Get your vest back on. We're not home yet."

Logan moved aside, but held her hand.

Jose announced, "Ambulances are ten minutes out."

Bill asked, "Simon, does she have ten minutes?"

"She does. She's unconscious. Her vitals are weak but steady. From the looks of things, I'd say they forced whiskey down her; probably to keep her under control. She's been beaten. She has bruising, cuts, a lot of blood, not sure if she has any broken bones. Her clothes are torn."

After taking a deep breath, Bill asked, "Was she..."

"I can't tell," interrupted Simon. "After an exam, the doctor'll have to answer that."

Trey yelled, "First ambulance is here. Is Mac ready to travel? The rest are stable and can wait."

Two EMT men, lifted her on the gurney, and carried her to the ambulance.

Logan climbed in after her.

"Sir..."

His glare told them he would not take no for an answer.

The young worker pointed. "Move over there, so we can do our job."

Logan nodded, moved, but continued to hold her hand.



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much late




Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of a drone image. This post has a little over 1,100 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.

The Special Forces poem will remain in, unless the editor take it out. Only one person voted against it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.