General Fiction posted July 2, 2020 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
2,500 words.

A chapter in the book A Shadow On The Street

The False Prophet

by papa55mike




Background
Lewis Bradley has a unique gift to read the minds of the people he passes. This gift has forced him into hiding from the thoughts of others.

Kathy sits down at the table, then sips her coffee. "Well, since I have the guys off to work, what's on your agenda for the day?"

"A couple of things." I smile. "First, we have to buy you a car. Second, we need to buy this place."

Kathy chokes on her coffee for a second. "Did you say we're buying me a car?"

"Well, to be truthful, I already have. A 2017 Jeep Renegade Latitude with four-wheel drive and all the extras. It's a lovely midnight blue, and there's even a place to charge your phone."

"And how did you do this, Lew?"

"There's this cool site called Carvana. You do everything via the internet, and they will deliver it to you. The sweet-sounding sales lady said it would be here around ten-ish."

"How much are the payments, Lew?"

"There are no payments. I've already paid for it, with the tax, tags, and title included. The insurance is through State Farm, and it's all in your name."

"Wow! I guess everything is 24/7 now." Kathy sips her coffee. "Have you made an offer on this place?"

"When I first moved in, they offered it to me for nine-hundred thousand. That was four years ago; I figure we can get them to take seven-hundred and fifty-thousand for it. The real estate market is down right now."

"We'll throw them a bone this morning. The more important question is, did you take your meds."

"Yes, I did. I love the way you put my meds in that seven-day organizer. You take good care of me, Kathy. Are Amy and Earl still asleep?"

"Yeah. With school out for the summer. I thought we'd let them sleep in this morning."

"It must be wonderful to be a child."

~

It's early afternoon, and Terrel is watching something on television involving superheroes, and Amy is asleep for her nap. I'm reading in my Bible while Kathy is on the internet, making an offer for this building. She's been quiet since the car was delivered, then we splurged and went to Sonic for lunch. Their cheeseburgers always make me sleepy.

I'm starting to nod off when Kathy turns around. "The offer on the building is made. I'm sure they will make a counter-offer. I set the price at six-hundred-thousand. Knowing we can go higher."

"Great job, I like the way you low-balled them."

"Lew, I've been thinking. Are you sure you want to buy me this car? I checked on Carvana, and you have seven days to return it for a full refund."

"What would I do with the money except give it to someone else. I'd rather see you have it, and God would, too."

"Well, it's the best thing anybody has ever done for me."

"If Caleb had the money, he would have done the same thing. Besides, a father wants his daughter to have nice things."

"I guess that's one of the many things I missed out on without a father."

"By the way," I need to change the subject before we both start crying. "Have you seen Kebon around?"

"No."

"I'm beginning to feel that something is wrong."

"Is it your gift?"

"Maybe, I led Kebon to the Lord the other day, and I wanted to give him an old Bible to read. But I haven't seen him since."

We both jump when the phone rings. We still use the landline beside the computer. Kathy answers the phone. "Hello...yes, he's right here." Kathy hands the phone to me. "It sounds like the police."

"Lewis Bradley."

"Hi, Lew. Ben Adams here."

"I haven't talked to you in a while, Ben. What can I do for you?"

"You know I always come to you with strange things that happen. I sent you a security video in an e-mail taken a couple of weeks ago. It shows a man shot six times in the chest; then, after a few minutes, he gets up and walks away. Not long after that, a video surfaced on the internet of the same shooting, and it's tied to a new church that claims a risen Saviour as its Pastor. I had Forensics take a look where the shooting happened, and they found nothing. Please, take a look at it for me."

"I sure will, Ben, and call you back." I turn to Kathy and ask, "Can you check my e-mail and see if there's a video there from the police?"

"Yes, sir." Kathy turns around and logs in. "Yeah, it's here."

I get up and walk over to the computer. "You don't have to watch this; it contains a man getting shot six times, then he got up and walked away."

"It can't be worse than the Walking Dead. I don't see what Caleb loves about that show."

"Great point. Play the video."

The video starts with a lonely figure strolling down the sidewalk. Suddenly, fear grips the person - the shots ring out - he slowly collapses to the pavement. After a few minutes, the man rises like Dracula coming out of his coffin and walks away.

Kathy looks up at me and says, "That's the worst acting I've ever seen."

"In what ways?"

"Let me slow the video down, and I'll show you." Kathy clicks on a menu that I didn't know existed. "Now, it will run at half speed." The video starts. "Watch, the shots don't match his movements, there and there. He's too late with both of them. See how he falls; the man is protecting himself on the way to the ground. Anybody shot that many times would fall with a thud."

"Maybe you're working for the wrong person."

"I'm sure Captain Adams and his staff already know this. What was the other thing he asked you?"

"He asked me about a new church that has recently opened claiming to have a risen Saviour for a Pastor. See if you can find it."

"I'll start with Facebook, Lew, that's where most kooks are the boldest."

I walk over to get another cup of coffee, and the center of my head begins to throb a little. 

"That didn't take long," Kathy exclaims. "Risen Saviour Church, it's down Winchester Avenue, right past the strip clubs."

"An interesting place to put a church. Click on the page, let's see what we got." There's the video playing with the graphics, Risen Saviour Church, slowly fading in and out. Then a picture of a proud and handsome man behind a podium, preaching with a glint in his eyes. "Well, he knows how to market himself."

"Do people fall for this crap, Lew?"

"By the hundreds! All you have to do is tell them what they want to hear. That there is no penalty for their sin, and they can live any way they want to. Have you ever heard of Jim Jones and the Jonestown massacre?"

"Maybe?"

"I know, it happened a long time ago in 1977, but Jim Jones was an influential spiritual leader who persuaded his followers to move to Guyana and establish Jonestown. The man was a lunatic; he had his followers murder Senator Leo Ryan and his aides who were there visiting and investigating Jonestown. He then talked the entire town into killing themselves. There were over 900 lives lost. Now, I'm not saying this guy is crazy. But something is going on there."

"I take it you want to find out?"

"Not really, but I know the police have their hands tied on this one. Unless this Pastor breaks the law, he can preach what he wants to."

Kathy looks at the screen. "Well, there's a service tonight a six. Let's take the family."

"I say, we leave the family at home, and you and I go see this so-called Saviour."

"A special, father, daughter thing," Kathy giggles.

"If you say so."

~

The fading light of this cloudy day is the perfect setting for visiting the seedy side of town. The neon light of the strip clubs flickers into existence - the alluring glare of perverted sexuality and greed. 

Suddenly, my head begins to throb, and the index on my left-hand curls in a gruesome way. I feel my toes drawing similarly. What's happening to me? I won't let Kathy see my fear, but I'm feeling the muscles tighten on my left side. A sudden snap inside my head. The symptoms subside a little.

"You're extremely quiet over there, Lew."

"I'm enjoying the ride in your new car." I force a smile. "It's astounding the multibillion-dollar industry that flourishes out of the act of intercourse."

"Have you ever been a strip club, Lew?"

"No, I haven't watched any porn either. In college, I had some Playboy centerfolds shoved in my face by some football players, but that's it."

"I think we're here, Lew." Kathy smiled while she parked the car. "This reminds me of the Omni-New Daisy on Third Street. They took a run-down old theatre and turned into a punk rock venue back in the early nineties and it's still open today. I would sneak in as a teenager to join the mache pit."

"The more I learn about you, Kathy, the more I'm amazed." 

Now comes the fun part. Let's see if I can get out of the car and walk. My toes have uncurled a little - hopefully, it won't affect my walk. When I stand, I force myself to straighten. The first step is a strain, but then the pain eases. Take small steps. Yes, thank you, Lord! Help me unveil this false prophet.

"Why are you walking like an old man, Lew?"

"Oh, my back is a little stiff. That's all."

Kathy hooked her arm in mine. "Come on, Dad. Let's go and expose this idiot."

"It will be my pleasure, ma'am." I'm glad she's beside me to lean on. The symptoms seem to calm with each step.

"At least they could clean the entrance, Lew. It's how you make your first impression."

"Don't you see, Kathy, they are."

"Aaah, filth shows filth." Kathy smiled.

When we walk through the door, a mountain of a man in the biggest blue suit I've ever seen looks us over while walking by. His dark blue eyes glare at us. I feel in his mind that the police want him for questioning. We must have passed inspection. 

The inside of the theatre is more decrepit than the outside. The worship team consists of a loud rock band screaming into the microphone. I have no idea what the words are.

We sit down behind the crowd, and Kathy nudged me. "Look at the front row. I haven't seen that many blondes in a row since high school. Look at how short their skirts are."

"They're here for spiritual support, sweetie."

"No, I've seen that look before, they want to get in his pants after everybody leaves." Two of the extremely young members of the congregation turn to glare at us. "Did you call Ben back this morning?"

"Yes, he has two units close by, ready to move."

"I'm beginning to like him."

The band finally finishes their song, and there's movement at the side of the stage. Excitement builds in the small crowd, and they rise in applause for the young man who confidently strides towards the podium placed in the center of the stage. He's dressed in a stylish suit with every blond hair perfectly placed, and his smile gleams at the young girls in the front row.

Kathy leans towards me and whispers, "Have you noticed how cheap this looks. The stage is awful, one spotlight, and the sound system barely works. If he's going to be a rockstar preacher, he needs to up his game."

"Well, you have to start somewhere."

We see the power of his presence when he extends his arms, and there's total silence. Before he says a word, he smiles at us. "My children, thank you for your praise. It warms my heart." His southern drawl is perfect. "Many of you know my story, gunned down in hatred, then rising with God's hand upon me, and being both physically and spiritually born again with a new message of hope to spread to my followers. I am the reborn Saviour of the world, sent here by my Father to cleanse my followers of their sin."

My skin begins to crawl at the blasphemy he's spouting. Kathy looks at me, and all I can do is shake my head.

After a quick sip of water, the risen Pastor continues his sermon. "We are writing a new history of the church, redefining what sin is. Setting a standard for the church of the future."

I turn to Kathy. "That's all I can take. If that big guy moves a muscle, call 911." 

Now, let's see if I can stand up. Slowly, slowly, yes. 

"Son, I hate to interrupt you. But I'm Pastor Lewis Bradley; I want to plead for your life."

"What do you mean, sir?"

"My friend, I've been a Pastor for over thirty years, and the blasphemy you spout is unbelievable! You claim that you're the son of God!"

The young man's face begins to contort in anger.

"In Bible times, they would have stoned you to death for saying that. Do you know the penalty for false teachers leading God's people astray? Using your filthy desires to pervert the teachings of our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ."

I see the big man move towards me out of the corner of my eye. "My large friend, if you take one more step, I'll have the police here in a minute or less. I'll bet you don't want that." He stops.

I turn back to the preacher. "If you knew your Bible, you would know by reading the book of Jude, that the Lord utterly and swiftly destroys false teachers. God will wipe out you and your entire family with His wrath! I'm imploring you to renounce this nonsense, get on your knees, and beg for forgiveness. If you continue, you will take all of these people straight into the Lake of Fire with you. It's up to you!" I turn to the audience. "You people need to run out of this evil place like it's on fire!" Slowly I make my way to Kathy. "I'm finished."

Her open mouth changes into a sly smile. 

Before we make it to the door, the Pastor erupts, spewing venom with every word. "You and your generation are the ones going to burn. We have the favor of the Father now." The crowd rises with a sense of deep sadness and begins to exit. "No, my followers, they're the enemy!" 

That's the last words we hear.

Kathy and I don't speak until we're in the car. "You look sad, Lew."

"I feel sorry for them. Those people were searching for the truth, and what they found was all lies. Now, their shattered dreams may cause them never to know our true Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. All because of him."





In this chapter and the others to come, I've put Lew's thoughts in italics to show what he thinks while his body changes due to the tumors.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.