General Fiction posted June 2, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Drowning in Memory

Lost at Sea

by Violet WolfChild

Storm Approaches Contest Winner 
Rosemary sat unafraid. Arms wrapped around her exposed knees as another horn sounded. They'd been going off all morning, alerting the islanders of the approaching storm. Behind her, people scurried about desperate to find shelter. The island was known for its deadly storms, its waters filled with the skeletons of sunken vessels. Among them lay her own as the people around her braced themselves for what lay ahead. Romy found herself lost in a memory.

Three years earlier, Rosemary stood at the head of her father's ship, watching the clouds in the distance. Her father cursed, then sounded the alarm. The crew groaned; they'd had to turn around five times this week. There was a violent storm brewing in the distance, and it would be foolish to continue.

As the fleet began to turn, Romy continued to watch the darkening sky. Lighting danced through the threatening clouds as thunder roared in the distance. Turning back to the crew, she saw the worry on many of their faces. Like her, they feared they wouldn't make it to shore before it hit them.

It caught them a few miles offshore. The wind howled and tore at their faces like a savage beast. Rain pelted down from the heavens. Towering walls of water surrounded them, causing the ships to lurch in every direction. Thunder boomed overhead like a canon, as treacherous waves flooded lower decks making hulls heavy and sinking inevitable.

As her father ran to assist his sailors, a massive swell swept through the lower deck. It left nothing in its wake. Romy gripped the railing for dear life. Her cries lost to the wind as the Wanderlust slammed into the Destiny. Both ships cracked open from the impact. Her best friend, Elijah, was its captain. She could see him leaning over the railing, reaching frantically for little Jimmy Jensen's arm as he flew like a rag doll over the edge. Aunt Catalina clung to the hull of the Destiny as comrades scrambled for shelter. Then a second surge sent them following the others into the depths of eternity.

Romy stood frozen on the upper deck. Helpless. Her father was gone. The vicious sea took him. And she knew she might join him at any moment. His fleet was sinking--their boat struggling to stay afloat as it drifted closer to the wreckage. The howling wind drowned out the screams of those around her. Waves were raging from the sea, and there was nothing she could do. A mile of turbulent water stood between her and safety. She'd always feared she'd drown. Or she'd be lost at sea. Her father used to tease her about it. Saying she worried too much. She wished that he was here to tell her now. But fighting for survival was better than defeat. So she dove into the water, not sure which way she'd go. Should she try to save them or swim like hell for shore?

She saw the ship she'd been on crash into the others. Then a wave crashed down upon her, sending her below. Her lungs filled with fire as the current grabbed hold. She thought the end was near. But she kept pushing for the sky. When she finally broke the surface and filled her lungs with air. Her foot caught in an anchor pulling her below once more. There was damage all around her. She was slipping through debris as she fought to free herself from the raging sea. She could hear the Sirens calling as she finally broke free. They were begging her to stay, promising that they could help. They whispered they could make it right. She wanted to believe them. Wanted to give in. But she was fighting for her life, racing for the shore.

She was just about to give up, didn't think she could go on. She was ready to say goodbye when she saw the light appear. It was a lantern on the shore. She was filled with relief and dug a little deeper when she saw how close it was. She had something to fight for as she passed the rubble of the life that she'd once known.

Tomorrow she'll dive among the wreckage, once the storm has cleared. It's time she faced the damage and released her fear. Today, she sits listening to the ghosts of her memories, returning to their grave. Each time she returns, she finds a bit more peace.

Three years ago, a stranger pulled her from the sea and wrapped her in a towel. Then he caught her when she crumbled and carried her to town. He stood by for the funerals and offered her his shoulder. Today Jack sits down beside her, looking out across the sea. His arm wraps tight around her, reminding her she's not alone. There's a storm building before them. But they'll face this one together.


Writing Prompt
Write a short story where a storm is approaching. Minimum length 700 words. Maximum Length 4,000 words.

Storm Approaches
Contest Winner


I've had this image of a brewing storm, sinking ships, and the ocean floor covered in debris in my head for the last few months but couldn't put it into words. The original image is of a girl caught in a storm watching ships sink around her. She was struggling to keep them and herself afloat. Amid the storm, she realizes she's lost something important and dives into the sea to find it. Once there, she finds the ocean floor covered in debris like broken memories. I guess it's about facing your past, and realizing how the part you played affects you presently. And sometimes it's best to let sinking ships sink. Let things fall away. Figured I'd give it a shot in the contest hope you enjoy it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Violet WolfChild All rights reserved.
Violet WolfChild has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.