Romance Fiction posted May 31, 2020 Chapters:  ...66 67 -68- 69... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and his buddy make plans to rescue McKenzie.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 28 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Tuesday afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 14 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

Logan came running up. "What happened? Where's Mac?" When he heard Arlo barking, he knelt down and picked up the small dog and then studied the moisture on his fur. "Why's there blood on him? Why's he outside unattended?"

"I'm guessing the blood's Edger's. He was shot."

"Is Mac with him? I'll join her. She may need support." He turned to leave.

Bill placed his hand on Logan's arm. "Mac's not with him. She's been kidnapped."



TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 29 PART 1

Logan closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. After he released it, he asked, "How'd this happen? There should have been a police detail surrounding the house."

"The evidence says they shot Edger, came in the backdoor, grabbed Mac, set off a diversion, and then carried her out the front door."

"So they walked right out the front door carrying Mac and nobody did anything?"

Bill chewed on his bottom lip. "It seems so. The diversion sent everybody to the back." He showed Logan the photos Joanie had taken. "They're not good but it's all we have."

Logan wiped his mouth. "My gut told me not to leave her alone. I didn't listen. This is on me. How we getting her back?"

"We were able to follow the van onto I-70, but lost them in traffic."

With his hands on his head, Logan turned a complete circle. "I'm on my own. I'll get her back." He jogged to the townhouse door and called, "How much longer before we can come in?"

"We're almost finished. Just a few more minutes," came an answer.

Bill followed. "I can't allow you to do this."

"I'm your best chance at getting Mac safely back and that's if she's still alive. Extractions are my specialty. Let me do my job." He left Bill standing and over his shoulder said, "What you can do is make sure Edger's safe. Mac will need him when she returns."

When the Crime Scene team left the house, Logan scanned the area. "It seems everything took place in the kitchen area." He lifted the skillet. "They even took time to cook a meal?"

Joanie peeked around Bill. "Mac was going to surprise you with a home cooked meal."

Logan nodded. "I'm sure it would've been good." He made a phone call, "Simon, can you meet me at Mac's? Something's come up." Logan paced while he waited for his buddy to arrive.

When Simon knocked on the door, Joanie let him in. He walked into the kitchen and scanned the area. "What happened?"

"While I was at the funeral home, Mac was kidnapped. Will you help me get her back?"

He glanced at Bill. "Sure. Do we have any authority here?"

Logan glared at Bill. "Can you take care of that little issue?"

Bill nodded. "I'll pull a few strings and call in some favors."

"Do we know where she's being kept?" asked Simon.

Bill answered, "Last spotting was on I-70 about mile marker 181. The traffic got heavy and we lost them."

Simon tilted his head. "I'm thinking out loud here, but along I-70 are frontage roads and off them are small country roads. Some of them gravel or dirt and sparsely traveled."

Bill watched Joanie as she cleaned up the kitchen. "It would take forever to check all those areas."

Logan's eyes widened. "We don't have forever. What if we had some help? Mac has a friend. He's with the state patrol. What's his name?" He thought. "Mark. Last name, come-on, what is it?" After a silence, he shouted, "Young! Mark Young. I've met him a few times. He's been trying to get a date with Mac for quite a while. He'd help. They patrol the highway and would know if any unusual activity suddenly showed up on those roads or any abandoned buildings had lights on. Bottom-line; they'd know what looks out of place. That would at least narrow it down."

Bill took out his phone. "I'll make a call and get his contact information."

Jose knocked and then walked in the front door. "I came to check on Mac." His eyes widened. "What's going on?"

Logan shook his hand and filled him in. "Mac was kidnapped this afternoon." He watched Jose's face pale, before he continued, "We could use another body, and you're on the injured reserve list."

"Mac's my friend too. I love her like a sister."

"I know."

Simon patted Jose's shoulder. "We have a job for you. We're just not sure what it is, or what we're doing ourselves. We're in the planning phase. Your brain is more than welcome." He turned to Logan. "You want another body?" After Logan nodded, he continued, "Trey Walker's in K.C."

"Kansas City? That close?" When Simon nodded, Logan asked, "You think he'd want to get involved? Do you have contact info?"

"I know he would and yes I do."

"Call him, but let him know this could be classified as slightly illegal. Also have him bring any fire power he has. We may find ourselves short."

With his phone in hand, Simon nodded. "When have our missions ever been completely legal?"

Bill covered his ears. "I don't want to know about it."

Logan's eyes met his. "Then you'd better leave."

*****
It took a few hours but the team was finally assembled. Logan, Bill, Simon, Trey, and Jose sat around the table, drank coffee, and waited for Mark Young to contact them.

Eventually Logan jumped up and answered a knock on the door. "Mark, hello. Please come in. I want you to meet a few friends."

Mark glanced around at the men sitting at the table. "Where's Mac?"

Logan pointed to an empty chair. "Have a seat. That's why we've contacted you. Mac's been kidnapped."

Stopping in his tracks, his eyes met Logan's and his jaw set. "I thought you were some big hero and going to keep her safe."

Bill stood. "Mark, it's not Logan's fault. He was at the funeral home with his family, where he should have been. We have some crooked officers on our force. It seems no matter how careful I was they managed to get on her security detail. I'm guilty of Mac's kidnapping, not Logan."

Mark offered his hand to Logan. "Sorry." After Logan took the hand, and they shook, Mark scanned the room. "I heard the noisy little dog when I walked in. Where's the big guy?"

After a sigh, Logan said, "He took a bullet. He's spending tonight at the vet's office."

Bill spoke up. "Tomorrow they'll both come home with me until Mac's safely back."

"You sure?" asked Logan. "I'm used to watching them."

"You're going to be too busy rescuing Mac. Joanie needs something to keep her busy. Mac was like a daughter to her -- us." Bill wiped his eye. "You'd better fill Mark in on his job."

After they sat, Logan explained how highway patrol officers know the area better than anybody, and they would know about any unusual traffic on the country roads.

After Mark agreed to ask all of the state troopers, who patrolled that area of I-70 to be on the lookout for suspicious traffic or activity, he left. He was also told the details of Mac's kidnapping were to be kept secret.

Bill went to his office, as the four men waited for location information, the men drank coffee and discussed possible tactics to rescue Mac.

Logan was making a fresh pot of coffee, when Simon walked up to him. "Buddy, you might want to sit this one out. It's way too personal."

"There's no way I'm sitting out. If I'd have followed my gut, this never would've happened. She's in danger because of me. I wasn't there for her."

"It's obvious you have feelings for he. No...you're in love with her. You know as well as I do when we go on missions like this there's no room for emotions. I doubt you'll be able to separate the two this time."

Staring into this buddy's eyes, Logan said, "I don't have a choice. I know Mac. She's waiting for me to find her."

Simon patted his back. "Okay. I have your back."

"I know." Logan hesitated. "And I'm not in...."

"You are in love with her and don't deny it. I know you too well," interrupted Simon.

Trey chuckled. "Man, I've never met her and know you're in love with her. It's that obvious."

Jose hoisted his coffee cup. "I know her very well, and have just recently met Logan. Just so you know Mac's in love with Logan, but is just as stubborn about admitting it as he is."

"Coffee's ready. Who wants more?" Logan brought the pot over as he answered his phone. "Bill, any news?" He listened. "Yes, we'll need transportation and probably a few more weapons. Sure, we'll meet you there. Can you text me the address?"

Simon held his cup up for a refill. "What did Bill want?"

"He's found us wheels and some weapons. He's pretty sure at least one member of the security detail is feeding information back to whoever's in charge. He wants us to come to him. I'm suggesting separately. We might be followed. This is a completely secret mission. Only us, Bill and Mark know about it."

Trey looked over the edge of his coffee cup. "Can Mark be trusted?"

Logan sipped coffee as he thought. "I don't really know him. I've talked to him a few times. He wants a relationship with Mac and sees me as a threat."

"Are you a threat?" asked Trey.

"That's a good question. I don't know. If you knew Mac, you'd know she has her own mind and no problems loudly voicing it." Logan shook his head. "I think he cares enough for Mac that he'd do anything to help."

Jose set his coffee cup down. "I agree with Logan. If Mac wanted to date Mark, she would've made sure it happened. She didn't." He grinned. "She's as stubborn and feisty as they come."

Trey grinned. "I can't wait to meet this one. Logan, I think you've met your match."

Simon raised his cup. "I've met her and agree. He has." He glanced around the room. "What time do we leave and where do we go?"

Logan pointed to a text. "I'll send this to each of you. I think it'll cause less suspicion if Simon and Trey leave first. Maybe in fifteen minutes. Jose and I'll leave what? Twenty minutes after that. I don't want it to look like we're meeting up someplace. I'm sure we're being watched."

Plopping his cup down, Trey said, "I can't drink another drop of this. I need food. Maybe on the way we can get some take out."

Shaking his head, Logan said, "I'm sorry. I've been a bad host. Food is the farthest thing from my mind." He chuckled. "Mac would find that funny."

"I'd say she'd think it's hilarious. I think she's called you Betty Crocker a few times, right?" asked Jose.

"She has."

Trey stretched legs out. "You, Betty Crocker? I've got to hear this story."

Simon stood. "Later. It's time for us to leave. Let's just say Mac does a lot of amazing things but cooking isn't one of them. If Logan wants to eat, he cooks." Trey started to speak, but Simon continued, "I promise food on the way." He faced Logan. "See you in a little while."

Trey and Simon left.

Jose's eyes met Logan's, as he said, "I know you're hurting. It didn't enter my head, but when you went to the funeral home, I should've come and stayed with Mac. I'm sorry."

"I tried to get her to go with me, but she insisted it should be family only. I should've forced her to come."

"I'm sure you've learned by now you can't force Mac to do anything. I just hope her stubbornness doesn't get her killed this time."

Logan closed his eyes. "Me too."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murder.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much late



Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of the two dogs. I had searched for something else and couldn't find what I was looking for, so went with the dogs. I ended up adding next week's post yesterday. I hope its not too long. This post is a little over 1900 words. I really appreciate your help. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.