Mystery and Crime Flash Fiction posted May 26, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sometimes there's a better offer.

Twenty Percent

by Mia Twysted


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
Norris leaned forward as he and Aaron pulled into the abandoned gas station. A quick look out the windshield revealed a weathered and rusted building with two old-time pumps out in front. The setting sun glowed behind the discarded dwelling, leaving Norris with a feeling in his gut that somehow this was all a bad idea.

"Why does she want to meet here?" Norris leaned back, looking at Aaron.

"Most likely because it's in the middle of nowhere." Aaron put the car in park.

"I have a bad feeling about this!"

"You have a bad feeling about everything."

"Are you sure we should be doing this?" Norris asked.

"If we ever want a chance to run the show, Gary has got to go." Aaron paused. "He hasn't left us much of a choice. Besides, I'm tired of living under his rule and by his terms. I want freedom, don't you?"

"Yes," Norris sighed, "it's gotten even worse since dad died."

"And we shouldn't take it anymore," Aaron said firmly.

The two men jumped at a sudden knock on the driver's side window. Looking at each other, they took a heavy breath and exited the car. Putting his trembling hands in his pockets, Norris rounded the hood to stand with his brother.

The woman backed away a few steps as the men settled themselves against the side of the car. She was tall with long brown hair and dark glasses. Her gloved hand rubbed against her black turtle neck as she lifted her shoulders, straightening her ankle-length overcoat.

"You her?" Aaron sniffed, "You Twenty?"

"That's me!" she paused before pulling her shades down to the middle of her nose and looking at the pair over the top, "well?"

"Right," Aaron cleared his throat.

Jumping to action, the short, balding man reached into the car, pulling out a plain colored backpack.

"Here it is," he handed the bag to Twenty.

"It's all there," Norris said as she counted the money inside.

"It does appear so," she pushed up her glasses, "and the picture."

Norris reached into his back pocket and handed a photograph of their older brother to her.

"This is him?" she said.

"Yes," Aaron said.

"Is it going to be fast?" Norris asked.

"It will be over before they know it," she said calmly.

The trio stood in awkward silence for a moment.

"Interesting name, Twenty," Norris's voice shook slightly, "how did you come about it?"

"They say I have twenty-twenty vision," she put the bag over her left shoulder. "I have the fortunate foresight to see a good deal when it comes my way."

Aaron looked to his younger brother, who stood slumped over against the car. His forehead wrinkled as he listened to the mysterious woman in front of them. Norris turned to his kinsman, shrugged his shoulders, then back to the lady in black.

"Well," Norris cleared his throat, "I'm glad this was such a good deal for you."

"No, no," Twenty chuckled, "I have the good foreknowledge to learn who the client is and what they can afford."

"You want more money?" Norris ran his hand through his thinning hair.

"We can't get a hold of any more cash," Aaron's voice squeaked.

"Oh, I know," she smirked, "as I said, I did my research," Twenty paused, pulling out a gun. "Your elder sibling has a far greater stock in the family business. Being full-blooded and all."

"He inherited his mother's share while we," Aaron looked to his brother with regretful eyes, "only inherited shares from our father."

"I told you I had a bad feeling about this," Norris gulped.

"You should have listened to your brother," Twenty looked at Aaron while motioning her gun toward Norris. "I approached your brother Gary and informed him of your plan, and he offered me twenty percent more if I would fulfill the contract the other way. Sorry boys, I guess it's not your lucky day."

Pulling the trigger twice she pocketed the gun, hefted the backpack, and disappeared into the sunset.



Twenty Short Story Contest contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mia Twysted All rights reserved.
Mia Twysted has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.