Children Fiction posted May 26, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a retelling of a medieval legend

A Pandemic in EndLane

by Mary Furlong


There was a pandemic of fear in the farming village of Endlane. Everyone was catching the fear, for terrible bugs were eating the crops. Soon there would be nothing to harvest and make into bread. There would be nothing at all to eat.

"The people prayed, "Our Lady in Heaven, Pray for us."

A little girl put wildflowers by the side of the road. "To thank Our Lady," she explained.

"But our prayers haven't been answered," people said.

"They will be," said the little girl. "Our Lady will see to it.

Then the people prayed a new prayer: "Our Lady in Heaven, thank you for praying for us."

One day, swarms of beetles flew over the fields, gobbling up the terrible bugs.

"Our Lady's beetles," some people said.

"Our Lady's birds, said others.

"Ladybirds, said the little girl.

"Ladybirds," everyone agreed.

And there was a pandemic of joy in Endlane.



Once upon a time.... writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a childrens' story (150 words- title not included( write your own title)about a pandemic. The story should be amusing, capture the child's interest, while conveying a real sense of what a pandemic is.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mary Furlong All rights reserved.
Mary Furlong has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.