Romance Fiction posted May 25, 2020 Chapters: 3 4 -4- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Grandpa is stuck with a pitchfork and is bleeding profusely!

A chapter in the book Joined at the Hip

The Pitchfork!

by Commando


Co-authored by Cathy Waldron, Aka "Tootie," and Bill Bishop, Aka "Commando."


Greetings, Friends!
 
Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this book. Both invite you to join them in each chapter and hope to make you laugh and cry; yet, leave you in a state of uncertainty of what will happen next. As always, your suggestions for improvement will be appreciated. Thanks for reading and God Bless.

 
~Previously~

 
"Wake up, Cathy! There's a funnel cloud moving across the meadow toward us. C'mon, we gotta get outta here and to a shelter fast."

 
"Sweet Jesus! It's a tornado, Bill; yet, it appears to be standing still. How close do you figure it is to us, Handsome?"
 
"Too doggone close, Beautiful! 'Cause it's raising hair on the back of my neck. So, let's go, Whippersnapper . . . shake it, shake it, shake it!"

*Special Note*
 
Some words are written in a way that is appropriate for Smoky Mountain folks; yet, they are not always grammatically correct. Characters at times will reflect earlier scenes in their lives. They shall, as well, talk with the reader. Wider spaces between words are due to the use of fully justified formatting.
 
~Chapter 4~
 
"We ran as fast as we could leaving our picnic basket and blanket behind, but the funnel cloud was heading right toward us again. There was no way we were gonna get back to the house to warn everyone. Bill grabbed my hand and pointed in a different direction. "C'mon," he said, "the only way we're gonna dodge this monster is to get under the bridge and say our prayers. As for our folks back home, we'll just have to hope they see it comin', too, and they're already hunkered down in our root cellar."
 
I did my best to keep up with Bill as he pulled me along. The tornado kept a 'comin, and debris was flyin' through the air. The pretty dress I was wearin' was flappin' all about. I shouted, "Watch out! There's a pitchfork flyin' through the air, and look at that tractor tire over there!" There were all sorts of things twirlin' everywhere, and it was gettin' so dark I couldn't see.

"Don't worry; keep holding my hand,'' Bill yelled loud enough so I could hear above the tremendous roar. "The ol' bridge is just over there. I know this all is givin' you quite a scare, but the tornado doesn't care! Soon it'll be outta our way; we'll live another day, then hurry back under the willow tree . . . and kiss, kiss, kiss away."

"That is, if it ain't been blown up roots and all!" I replied.

We made it to the bridge; Bill held me tight and whispered, "Everything's gonna be alright." Together, we prayed, "Please Lord! Take the tornado away, 'cause we got miles to go before reaching You!" Most tornadoes last for only a few minutes; yet, it seemed this one was taking hours.

*******
 
"Hurry, Ol' Woman! There's a tornado headin' our way and it's as big as Texas!" Grandpa hollered as he ran back in from the barn.

Grandma quickly peeked out the window, then replied, "There's someone still out there in the fields. My word! I thought, at first, it was Cathy; yet, it's her mom, Cecile. She always carries lunch to Bob when he is plowin' the fields."

"So, what's she doin' just standin' there . . . and where is Cathy's dad, Bob?"
 
"Someone please help me;" Cecile cried. "Bob's tractor has turned over and pinned his leg underneath."

"I gotta go get Cecile," Grandpa said. "I'll bring her here and the both of you go to the root cellar, pronto! Then, me and the ol' blue mule will go help Bob. Now, don't you worry about me, 'cause once we get there, I'll anchor myself to a tree in case the tornado comes our way before I can get him free. Hopefully, that will keep me safe. Lord, help us today!"
 
*******
 
By the time Grandpa arrived at Cathy's home, it was gettin' dark. At first he couldn't find the tractor and her daddy, but then heard cries comin' from behind the barn.

"Okay, Blue Mule, I'm countin' on you!" Grandpa remarked. "You ain't never let me down before. Although you're now a senior citizen, like myself, we gotta be strong and save Bob in a hurry. Otherwise, we all might not live to see another sunrise."

Luckily, the tractor was only pinnin' Bob's right foot down, although it was clear to see why her mom couldn't set him free. With some pushin' and pullin' from both Grandpa and the Ol' Blue Mule, it wasn't long before the tractor was lifted just enough for Bob to wiggle free.

"Can you walk?" Grandpa asked him.

Bob replied, "It's a hurtin' some, but I think so."

Grandpa reached into the front pocket of his bib overalls, pulled out a pint bottle of moonshine whisky, and said, "Here, drink a couple snorts of this, then forget the walkin' 'cause we gotta run. The tornado is comin' our way fast."

"We ain't gonna make it back to your house in time even with us runnin'," Bob remarked. "So take that mule of yours and let's find shelter while we ride out the storm."

Bob took a swig of moonshine before adding, "I got us some more moonshine hid in the barn; let's head on in there. We can secure your blue mule in one of the stalls, and there's a large hog feeder that we can lie down in. It's the best we can do under the circumstances."

Less than ten minutes later, the tornado slammed into the barn taking half of it, including 30 bales of hay.

*******
 
When Bill and Cathy arrived at the log cabin, there were dark clouds over it.

"What a scary sight!" Cathy exclaimed.

They were both thrilled, though, 'cause the log cabin hadn't sustained any damage.They entered the home to find both Grandma and Cathy's mom in a frenzy.

"Grandpa isn't home yet. I don't know what's keepin' him, unless..." Grandma fretted.

"Why isn't he here?" Bill asked. "What's happened?"

Cecile told them about Bob getting stuck under the tractor and Grandpa going to help.

"Cathy, stay here and I'll go fetch 'em!" 

*******
 
As I approached Cathy's property, I couldn't believe my eyes. The barn was demolished, and Cathy's home was nowhere to be seen. At that moment, I screamed, "Grandpa! Can you hear me?" Getting no answer, I walked around the rubble. Just then, I faintly heard someone down the hill.
 
*******
 
 "Stand still, you ol' blue mule! Can't you see I'm trying to get on your back?"
 
After looking twice at the man, I saw that it was Bob. Of course, I also could tell he was drunker than Cooter Brown.

"Where is Grandpa, Bob?"

"I can't rightly say; yet, the last time I saw him, he was in the hog feeder with me. The tornado musta picked me up, then carried me down here."

Quickly running to the hog feeder, which was hidden under a few barn boards, I found Grandpa lying inside it. There was a pitchfork sticking into his chest and his bib overalls were covered in blood. "Oh no! Not Grandpa!" I screamed. "Why, God? You know he's my hero!"

*******
Sorry, Folks, for the cliffhanger; yet, we told you at the beginning we'd leave you in a state of uncertainty of what would happen next. We hope to see you in Chapter 5. Thanks for reading and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration,
Cathy and Bill



Recognized


A "SALUTE," Cathy for the "Prestigious Artwork and Book Cover Design!" It is an honor to write at your side. Thanks for reading along, Folks, as we write this "Special Love Story." We encourage your thoughts, comments, and suggestions for improvement. Hope to see you in Chapter 5. Best wishes and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy and Bill.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.