Romance Fiction posted May 24, 2020 Chapters:  ...65 66 -67- 68... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie is kidnapped.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 27 part 3

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Tuesday afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 14 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

When both dogs barked, McKenzie looked up and turned off the stove. "What's wrong with you two?" She petted Arlo. "Did you see a butterfly and upset Edger? Okay, I'll let you guys out." She opened the door and waved at the officers patrolling the backyard. "They're useless. They couldn't even protect poor Edger Sunday."

As she scraped the chicken from the bottom of the skillet, she heard the backdoor open. "Edger, you're good but you haven't learned to let yourself back in, have you?" She glanced at the door and went into JKD stance.

As soon as the hooded man reached her, she began fighting him. A second and third man appeared and surrounded her. A fourth man came from nowhere. I can't get to my gun. Where's the police?

After hits to her jaw and kicks to her stomach, McKenzie collapsed to the floor in a bloody and unconscious heap.

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 28 PART 3

As Joanie pulled into a parking space, she heard an explosion, saw black smoke rising from the back yard, and watched the police detail run toward it. She grabbed her phone and called Bill. "Something's wrong at Mac's! Get here now!" She ducked low in the car seat, raised her phone to the window, and took pictures, as she whispered, "Four hooded man are kidnapping her. Should I follow?"

"No! Where's the detail?"

"In the back. Something exploded."

"It was a diversion." Bill paused. "On second thought, follow the best you can. I need to know where they're headed. I'm calling for backup on another line. Stay back, but let me know the direction they're going and what they're driving?"

"They're driving a white van."

"Make and model? Approximate year?"

"I don't know. It has four doors and it's white. It's fairly new." She snapped a photograph. "I'm sending a photo."

"Good thinking. I hope you get a picture of the license plate. What direction did they head?"

"They took Russell Ave to I-55. They just turned onto I-44 ramp."
Bill paused. "I'm getting another call. Just a minute." Silence, then he continued, "Edger's been shot. Where's his vet?"

"Dr. White's office, four blocks west of Mac's apartment. I don't remember the street name. Turn left on the first intersection from her house and go straight. It's on the right."

"An officer's taking him. We'll have helicopters in the air in a few minutes. I'm betting they're trying to get out of the city."

"Traffic is getting really heavy. I'm struggling to keep eyes on."

"Turn around and come home. We've got cars at I-64 and I-70. I sent the photos out, one showed part of the plate. Helicopters are in the air. Good job. I'm on my way to Mac's."

"I'll meet you there."

When Joanie pulled into a parking slot, she saw her husband already standing on the sidewalk. She joined him. "Have you heard anything about Mac or Edger?"

"Edger's in surgery. He should be okay. Nothing about Mac." He glanced toward the apartment. The crime scene team is doing their thing." He pointed to blood drops on the sidewalk. "I'm guessing those are Mac's."

"She looked in bad shape when I saw her." She showed Bill the photos she had taken. "I know they're not great but they're all I could get. Has anybody notified Logan?"

"No. He's where he should be right now. He'll find out soon enough." Bill glanced toward the parking area. "Like right now."

Logan came running up. "What happened? Where's Mac?" When he heard Arlo barking, he knelt down and picked up the small dog and then studied the moisture on his fur. "Why's there blood on him? Why's he outside unattended?"

"I'm guessing the blood's Edger's. He was shot."

"Is Mac with him? I'll join her. She may need support." He turned to leave.

Bill placed his hand on Logan's arm. "Mac's not with him. She's been kidnapped."

Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murger.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much late



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo of blood drops on a sidewalk. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 500. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.