General Fiction posted May 24, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Interrupted sleep

Coran - part II

by giraffmang


Previously- Coran is alone in a world populated by what he calls 'echoes'. Coran suspects these are remnants of real people. They weren't always there but are growing in abundance. He has not seen another human in months and things are taking their toll...

He walks through an almost deserted city to reach home, observed only by the echoes. He keeps his house in darkness to avoid seeing them and settles in for the night only to be awoke by something new... screaming.


part II
 

As the naked bulb above the single bed sparked into life, the shrieking ceased. Coran blinked, holding a hand against his brow to shield from the harshness. Everything was quiet. Something pulsated just beyond the foot of his bed. Coran took a deep breath and drew his hand back beneath the covers. His head spun and he closed his eyes tight.

What shrieked? It hadn’t sounded like an animal… more human, but that was impossible, wasn’t it? He’d not had contact with anyone living for months. Just the echoes and they never made a sound. Coran opened his eyes as the pulse at the foot of the bed coalesced into one of the echoes. It stood there watching him.

“Why won’t you all leave me alone?” Coran muttered throwing back the covers. As usual, no answer was forthcoming. If only he had someone to talk to…

Swinging his feet from the bed, Coran winced as they hit the floor. He stared down, mouth hanging open. “What the…?”

Both feet bled. Coran shuffled down the short hallway, as fast as his injured feet would allow, to the bathroom. He sat on the edge of the bath and swung his feet in, turning on the taps. The initial coldness caused him to recoil and he chided himself before letting the water course over him once again. The gradual heat stung the skin, but he persevered. Tenderly he rubbed the blood away until the water ran clear and with a gentle touch explored the surface area but to no avail. No abrasions, cuts, scratches, or holes. Nothing to explain the bleeding.

A faint glow appeared in the doorway. An echo. Coran glanced its way, despite himself. It looked almost sad, although this only fuelled his anger.

“Why can’t you things just leave me in peace?”

No answer.

Coran stormed from the bathroom, through the apparition and out into the night.



 



Recognized

#116
2020
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. giraffmang All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
giraffmang has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.