Horror and Thriller Fiction posted May 22, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Life on Day 20 of lockdown in 250 words.

All Disquiet in Peaceful Privacy

by LisaMay



Today was Day 20 of lockdown and here I was, safe and sound in my house with no one to bother me.

Actually, I just made that up. I can’t remember if it’s Day 20 and I don’t know if I’m safe. I do know there’s no sound; it’s eerily silent… is that un-sound? Peace, perfect peace… and privacy.

Here’s me, still in my pajamas. Sam hasn’t gotten out of bed for a while. Like I said, no one to bother me.

I might have a shower tomorrow. Maybe I won’t. Don’t have to comb my hair any more, either. Who cares? I can lick my dinner plate… leave dishes unwashed. Sam’s stopped eating, but I’m running out of food. I pray a lot, so I’m hoping the Lord will provide. 

I’ll just sit here and watch spooky horror news stories they keep playing on TV. Everyone looks shell-shocked and the bodies are mounting. I have the sound on mute, so I don’t know what they’re saying. I make up the words. I hear voices.

The phone rang just now, jangling my nerves. I shut it off. I can’t be bothered talking. It uses up my energy… I might need some to bury my sins. 

A strange woman in the bathroom mirror stared at me. I don’t trust her. This morning, that look in her eyes when I caught sight of her reminded me of the feral cat I cornered in the wood shed yesterday. 

See? The Lord DID provide.


 



Day 20 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a Flash Fiction (250 words. Title not included in count ) beginning with the sentence 'Today was Day 20 of lockdown and here I was.' Continue on telling a fictional tale of lockdown-beginning/middle/end.)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.