War and History Fiction posted May 8, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Remembering friends whose names are entombed on a wall.

A Wall to Remember

by poetwatch


There's a worm sailing in your soup. See how it hides under the chicken?

Mom! Dad's at it again.

SaraJo, leave your dad alone. You know how he gets this time of year.

I know, but can he babble somewhere else besides the kitchen. I'm trying to eat. Oh, never mind, I lost my appetite. I'm going to school now dad. Try not to think too much.

What did I do? Start acting like I see things? I'm sorry sweetheart, sometimes I think I need some marbles.

Later, dad, see you in the funny farm. Big kiss now.

Joe, you should try to fix that brain of yours. It wanders everywhere and meets on a stone wall.

Sorry, Sara, since I got home all I see is the darkness trying to get a hold on me. I fight it, but it's too strong. Every time I think I got it beat, it rears up and bites me on my butt. I don't know what I'm going to do.

For starters, Joe, you could go to the VA doctors and ask for help. They are there for you.

Honey, when I got back, they said I was all right. Yet, they gave me some pills to take and you know I was out most of the time. I when back and they sent me to a nut doctor who wanted to send me away. Those quacks can't tell the difference between an ass and a hole in the ground.

Well, you got to tell someone what's going on in your head. I'm tired of waking up to your groaning and moaning.

Sorry, honey, that's just me biting my tongue to keep from screaming. When I wake up, I don't remember anything.

Joe, if you like we can... you know... go see the wall. There you can meet your buddies and cry.

Woman! Men don't cry we just remember and...

There, there, honey. I'm sorry I made you remember.

Remember what, honey? Let's go see the wall!



Dialogue Only Prompt writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using only dialogue. No narration, descriptions, or sentence tags. Maximum word count: 1,000
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. poetwatch All rights reserved.
poetwatch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.