General Fiction posted May 6, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Modern Fable

Cat's Meow

by Tootie

Write A Modern Fable Contest Winner 


















Once upon a time, there was a cat who lost her meow and didn't know how to get it back. When very young, she would meow all the time. She was inquisitive and had a lot to say. But, one day, a mangy mutt changed all that.

"Come on out and play with me," he said.

"Oh, I don't know if I should. I'm a cat and you're a dog. Meow, meow," Cat replied.

"Aw, no matter. We'll get along fine. Trust me. Ruff, ruff."

And, believing him, she did, but he was not to be trusted. When he began to bite at her and growl, she became so fearful that her meow ran away . . . or, at least, she thought it must've, because when she opened her mouth again, it wasn't there.

Many years passed, until at last, her meow couldn't stay silent any longer. It had been hiding; yet, was braver and stronger now. So, it returned to Cat--first in a whisper, then becoming louder and louder. That's when Cat knew, for sure, that nothing, or no one, could ever scare her meow away again.

And the moral of the story is: Don't let anything, or anyone, scare your "meow" away---especially when you have a lot to say.


Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed. Be creative and have fun! Maximum word count: 300

Write A Modern Fable
Contest Winner

Recognized


Thank you, helvi2, for the AWESOME artwork that accompanies this fable.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tootie All rights reserved.
Tootie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.