General Fiction posted May 5, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A story of a faded imagination.

Time For a Dog Walk

by Brian Taylor1

Roughly two months ago, or two years ago, I can't remember, I've lost my mind, my imagination kicked into high gear when hearing about the coronavirus. I thought of a man in the Wuhan province, China trying
to impress the daughter of his grandmother's neighbor. She, his grandmother, had complained that a bat had found it's way into the basement of their senior building, causing fright to many. He figured, no better way to be the hero. Catch the bat, kill it, and honor it by mixing it into a stew, then inviting her neighbor and her daughter over for dinner. Lots of laughs later, a cough was released, and a virus followed.

On the other side of town, a man frustrated with his I.T. job caught a late showing of Batman at a local cinema. Booming with confidence, he went to an all-night pet store and purchased a bat which he later set free in his apartment. After some opium and rice wine, he too honored the bat by eating it. Still up from the opium, he blindingly fought crime in his neighborhood, while wearing a cape.
The next day at work, while parched from his head pounding hangover, he leaned down at the water cooler for a cup. On his way up, his breathing labored resulting in a cough. Enter the coronavirus.

I miss thinking like that. I even miss the thought of a maverick group of bio-chemists releasing dozens of bats into a coal mine, deep within the woods of Wuhan, and sealing off the exit. After a week of breathing potential toxic carbons, a gas, similar to chemotherapy, was sprayed into the cave penetrating the bats nasal passage and ultimately suffocating them. Reason for this experiment- An attempt to reverse the progression of radical blood cells within the bat forming an ultra defense mechanism as their immune system fights off metastasizing. Upon death, extract the now super cells and combine them with healthy human blood cells and inject them into the organs of cancer patients. Discover a cure for cancer, patent it, manufacture it, and sell it all over the world to help springboard China to the top of the worlds green mountain. Green for money of coarse. Little did they know that during their celebration, a lot of human to human heavy breathing ensued. Hello COVID-19.

I miss that thought process. One of imagination. I miss the hero grandson, the frustrated I.T. worker turned crime fighter, and the maverick scientist(s). I miss the thought of this apocalyptic environment being the result of a mistake, rather then a sinister plot to...I don't know.

Time to mask up and take our dog for a walk. Maybe she'll see a squirrel in a tree who's watching us. Much more comforting then a camera disguised as a nest. "Six feet apart, Tweet Tweet."













What do you miss? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story, no more than 500 words, about what you miss most because of the pandemic.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brian Taylor1 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brian Taylor1 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.