Letters and Diary Fiction posted April 29, 2020 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 35... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Day 33

A chapter in the book The Corona saga

Tree Hugger

by Iza Deleanu




Background
I decided to document how this virus is affecting my sanity. So feel free to join me in this experience, I hope the reading will become funnier, then what I posted so far. Thank you for reading.
April 18, 2020
Day 33

After Coronella started to travel around the globe, most countries put their citizens in forced locked down in their own homes or in special places, that they called quarantine areas.

I am living in Alberta, and our provincial government relaxed a little bit the rules of confinement and the walking policy. Last week they sent us a pamphlet in which we were adviced, for mental health, to walk at least 20 minutes a day.

Did you know, that a study performed by the University of Calgary, declared Edmonton as being on the 89th place for people that are walking daily. This study is based on data from Apple, I bet if they were consulting also, the smart section we will be on first place. Yeah, I am the proud owner of a Smart Samsung phone, and I am not payed for advertisement, damn it!

If we take a look at Belgium, the government advised the population to eat only twice a week... potatoes and to start walking it out. Like really, potatoes? French fries, mais oui!

Well for once, I am done fasting so I am staying away from the carb section. Bring me some meat and let the Keto fiesta beging!

O. K. let's go back to the walking advisement: since I am a true Canadian, from time to time, I executed myself right away in that direction. I am walking at least 10 minutes during my lunch break, and at least another 20 in the afternoon or evening. O.K., don't judge me, they gave me a minimum, but not maximum so theoretically as long as I keep the distance from other people, I can walk as long as I want!

No worries, we have supervised freedom. I see every 5 min a Police car patrolling the area. At first, I didn't understand why, but then I realized they were keeping an eye at the park across the street, and making sure that people were maintaining  physical distance and also that  they were not using the barbecue area, since there it's a fire ban on that.

I have a confession to make: I am afraid of fire, more than Coronella. Five years ago, we had a bad fire in Fort McMurray that burned the city down and killed lots of hectares of forest and lost many wild animals. Now, that poor city, has the worst flooding ever. People are evacuated again. What can you do? Run from Coronella or the flood?

So, yeah, I am more afraid of fire, than Ms. Coronella, because you can fight her with some ventilators or an exorcist, but with the fire, there is no way you can win.

It's noon; happy I am rushing out the door to cruise my neighborhood with my small steps. I dash out to take a pick at the neighborhood gardens and my lovely kitties. You know, in Canada is tradition, once Victoria Day hits, this is year is 18th of May, everybody rushes to plant anything they can get their hands on in their precious gardens. Victoria Day, in Canada, it's the official day when spring starts.

In Alberta, all the places that are selling plants, trees and flowers, are considered essential for our mental health, so they are open for business.

I think this is a very clever way to fight Coronella, when you are gardening; you have no time for something else.

Sorry, I got distracted again. Let's go back to my impromptu walk. My neighborhood it's awesome and was blessed with lots of back alleys that you can walk in peace with nobody disturbing you. This is how I found my small oasis of pine trees.

Since officially I am not allowed to hug anybody, because of the physical distancing, I started to eye a tree in that small oasis; yup, in Alberta, this is how we call what other are wrongly advertise as Social distancing! Our Prime, got it right!

Today I finally want to hug my tree of choice, a beautiful majestic pine. I occasionally, do hug trees. It's part of my getting close to nature and recharging battery, strategy.

So, today is finally the day. I am staying in front of my friend and the question of the day pops up in my head: "To disinfect or not?" Quickly in my mind a horrible image is coming to life and I wonder, how many dogs used him as a peeing target in the past years? And again I talked myself out of it: "Don't be ridiculous, they can't aim so high!" Should I take a chance? Coronella is lurking in the background and reminds me of my husband. Yup, he will kill me if he founds out, that I sneak out from his stash a bottle of his precious disinfectant. He does keep a tight inventory on this hot merchandise.

You see we didn't stock on Toilet paper, but on disinfectant and hand sanitizer.
Let's go back to my tree adventure. I finally decided: I am going to disinfect my hands and hug my beloved pine tree. I don't want to pass any Coronella to him. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the silence. I left the warm of his embrace to extract my sadness and despair. I stayed like that for a few minutes until my phone alarm reminded me that it's time to go back to work.

Folks, you should try it: tree hugging is so comforting, and don't forget to disinfect after....


 




I am using Coronella instead of Corona, I think sounds funnier:)
For my readers and reviewers, please forgive me for my bad English, since is my third language, I am using this cheap excuse to ask for your help in correcting the grammar and the other mistakes.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.