Letters and Diary Fiction posted April 29, 2020 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Day 32

A chapter in the book The Corona saga

Scavenger Hunt

by Iza Deleanu




Background
I decided to document how this virus is affecting my sanity. So feel free to join me in this experience, I hope the reading will become funnier, then what I posted so far. Thank you for reading.
April 17, 2020
Day 32

When people were forced to change their routines because of the pandemic, they started again to notice things around them. When Coronella was in the lab for her beauty sleep, people were staying in their houses and playing video games. That was the norm.

The seasons were coming and going without notice. For example, many times, in the middle of the winter, I saw people dressed as for summer. Let me assure you, that they were not homeless, but my neighbors ...maybe too much Maria Juanita or video gaming to death. My conclusion is: video games can keep you stuck in time, immune to reality.

Since Coronella graced us with her visit, the same people started to get out from the caves. Now you can see a new wave of appreciation towards nature and the next of kin. Have you noticed that people now days are walking in pairs or even the entire family, of course if you have the whole clan with you, it's advisable to spread out, so you don't infringe the 2 meter rule instituted by the local government.

Occasionally, you may see single digits like me, accompanied by their shadow. My husband is like Batman, he likes to walk after 10 pm. I like to walk during the day. I feel like a bee searching for flowers and sun. I don't care about my cellphone; all I want is to pile up all the fresh air that I can get and to enjoy  as many as possible  rays of sun.

So during one of these walks, I noticed the garbage bags in one of the streets from my neighborhood. I guess tomorrow is garbage day. I live in a condo, so I have the liberty to have that special day every time I want. Since I have the kitties, it's every day. Apparently if you live in a house, the garbage is picked once a week... just imagine the smell. Maybe this is one of the reasons that I don't own a house.

It's 8 pm and on both sides of the street you can see nicely piled up garbage bags - trash and recycle. By now, you know I am a curious cat, so I decided to do a scavenger hunt.

My first stop it's a nicely  pile of black bags; I count 20. This can't be house waste. I am checking the yard, yup super clean. Now I know what those bags contain: dead leaves and whatever they cut from the garden.

My curiosity doesn't stop here. Let's take a look at the recycle section. At my condo, most of the time you can see lots of pieces of furniture. For example, today, somebody left in front of the recycle bin, a pink lamp, quite chic, but this is not the place to keep it. In the housing section people are eating lots of ice-cream, chocolate, coffee pods, tea... My conclusion: because Coronella, people from the houses are overindulging in the culinary section.

My people, from the condo, are spending more on Amazon stuff, electronics, furniture, appliances and video games. Why am I saying this? Hm, I am working from home so I am seeing Amazon packages left in front of the apartment doors. Purolator, USP, DHL and Canada Post are parading twice a day in front of my building. To tell you the truth, I have not seen any Amazon boxes in the recycles from the houses. I saw a couple of houses with nothing to offer! There is no garbage whatsover. I hope they are not ... you know Coronella... I decided to put them in the section, essential workers. Maybe they will take the garbage out early in the morning before the city workers picks it up.

Now that I'm done with the garbage inventory, I decided to do a check for pets... and not in my building where they are illegal. Wow, almost every house has a cat sunbathing in the window. Some even have a few cats and a dog sharing the same window. For me, it's Paradise, so many cats, mmm, a real feast for my eyes.

Humanity it's still saved, if we still care for pets, there is still hope. I heard from my friend who has an animal shelter, that since Coronella hit us, there are no pets in the shelter. There is actually a waiting list for adoption. People are literarlly waiting for new-born kitties to reach the adoption age. This is crazy!

You see Madame Coronella, no matter what tricks you play on us, we will fight back, we and our fur babies. They are the ones that keep our sanity in check.




I am using Coronella instead of Corona, I think sounds funnier:) Maria Huanita is Marijuana.
For my readers and reviewers, please forgive me for my bad English, since is my third language, I am using this cheap excuse to ask for your help in correcting the grammar and the other mistakes.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.