Letters and Diary Fiction posted April 22, 2020 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Day 30

A chapter in the book The Corona saga

Self-isolation

by Iza Deleanu




Background
I decided to document how this virus is affecting my sanity. So feel free to join me in this experience, I hope the reading will become funnier, then what I posted so far. Thank you for reading.
Day 30
April 15, 2020

It's been a month since we got the order to work from home self-isolating from our colleagues and friends. Our isolation camps are small 1 maximum 3 bedroom apartments. Our colony, that is what I am calling my building, is having 500 apartments. The number of announcements with stay inside your apartment and self-reporting or deporting for the sake of ty neighbor, if you think you got Coronella , it's overwhelming!

My friend, who lives in downtown, went overboard. She has in front of the entrance door a towel with Cloroxella to keep Coronella away, and also she covered the vents. She heard or read somewhere that Coronella it's travelling faster via pipes, vents, in one word Gone with the Wind, in Loco town.


The advantage in living in Eastern Europe is that you know your neighbours and even from distance they check on you. I've been living in Canada in the same building, for 11 years and I have no clue who lives next door. People here mind their own business, no cup of sugar for you! They are for the most of the time invisible. Why is that? People here are constantly moving. Every weekend you see people moving in or moving out!

Last year, I finally found out who lives above me on the fourth floor and this courtesy to the fact that we were riding the same bus to work and that we have the same custom: we love to read. Now he and his wife are expecting their first child, which will be born next month. Self-isolation must be a bitch! There are so many unanswered questions about the conditions of the delivery, because of the Coronella. I pray for a safe and healthy delivery and we agreed to contact each other if something happens or if they need anything. Have I mentioned why we have instantly clicked? Well, we are all newcomers. I noticed that it's easy to become friends with this segment of the population. Nobody judges you here.

People in my colony developed a real triathlon scenery inside our hallways walls. You can meet at any hour of the day or night somebody walking on the ghostly corridors. If you go at noon, that is the worst traffic jam. You know for sure, these are the people working from home. Probably we all have the same lunch break time between 12 and 1 p.m.

We have a real segregation based on age. 10 a.m. is the walking hour for the old people aka retirees. Now, between 11.30 and 1 p.m., meet the working class. After 4 p.m., starts the witch hour: the kiddies are running lose in the hole way, or they are running in front of the building, so you need to use other entrances to get inside the building, since the main one is compromised.

Before you go out of your unit, you must have strategies. If you want out of the colony you are choosing the shortest way to any of the entrances. If you want to walk inside the camp, you can start at any level as long as you abandon the walking mission in retreat, when you hear somebody coming.

I don't know about you, but since I am in self-isolation my level of crazy went overboard. I have no patience with my family, but also with my coworkers too. I am getting mad from small things. When I feel like a lose control, I blow the steam off by walking the holy hallway. Then I come back and read a prayer and search for the bright part of the self-isolation... we are in this together now...

Man I feel so selfish, now! I just want a spot of my own! My bedroom, bathroom, living room, is invaded by my kitties. They are the owners of the entire unit. They can go everywhere at any time of the day and night. I have restriction to certain areas during certain times. I am not allowed between 7 am and 4 pm, in the so called office, aka virtual classroom. This is our second bedroom from where my husband transmits his on-line classes. That's his Head Quarter.

My HQ, aka living room/kitchen is under attack all the time. Even if I scream that nobody is allowed there between 6.30 am and 4 pm, nobody gives a damn. My husband has at least 100 trips per day to the almighty fridge. And I am parked with my laptop 30 centimeters from the fridge. Where the heck is the social distancing here?

The kitties are the mighty occupiers. If I stand up to stretch my legs, they both jump on my chair, or walk on top of my laptop, or knock out my mouse and keyboard from my improvised desk, aka eating table. I hope, somebody exterminates this vermin Coronella, so I can literally breathe again and gladly social distance myself from my family and my home. I need some Me time, and I need it badly!

God please forgive me, for wishing not so well to, our invisible neighbor Coronella. Until we meet again, stay healthy my friend, and don't go "nachos" on your loved ones.




I am using Coronella instead of Corona, and Cloroxella instead of Chlorine I think is sound funnier:)
For my readers and reviewers, please forgive me for my bad English, since is my third language, I am using this cheap excuse to ask for your help in correcting the grammar and the other mistakes.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.