General Fiction posted April 15, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
There are many lessons to learn when we're alone?

Alone

by papa55mike















What happens when we're alone?


Single Mom

Sleep never comes early. It's always the night that brings out the fear and questioning. After I lay Kevin down and crawl into bed, my mind kicks into overdrive. It's never about one thing, always everything - from raising Kevin without a father to losing my job. There's so much insecurity. Maybe that's why Alex left me for that blonde? But that's not right; I wasn't beautiful enough to be his trophy wife with that new job promotion. Even when Alex was home, he wasn't. I was alone then but didn't see it. I want to be like the many women who traveled this path before me, and make a good life for us!


Widower 

The morning is a grim reminder of the past week. Seven days of agony and loss. Without my best friend and partner in crime with me, what part of life is worth living? I already miss the laughter that filled our house - the warmth of her hand caressing my cheek - her smile and those glowing blue eyes when she looked at me lovingly. What happens now? Do I continue to live my life or join her? Are there parts of our lives together worth saving? I hold the key to all of those answers in my heart. I can throw all of that old life away, or become determined to honor her memory by continuing to live on. I choose to live!


Walking Home

It's been four years since I left home at eighteen. I guess you can say I ran away, but I was of age. I was the selfish daughter then. The only thing that mattered to me was me. I felt I knew what life is about, how wrong I was. Experience taught me many painful lessons that I wasn't ready to learn. I'm standing on the corner of our street full of questions. Mom and dad's house is at the end of the road - my feet slowly start in that direction. I wonder if they're still together? They fought over me like cats and dogs. Mama always stood up for her daughter. Dad wanted me to grow up and go to college. I let them both down. Now I'm standing in the driveway; I see mama working in the flower gardens. Dad suddenly comes out of the door and runs in my direction. I was so alone on the road, but now, I'm home!


A Dying Man

The doctor just left my room; he told the nurse that it won't be long now. She just shook her head and left the room. It must be my lot in life to die alone. I have no family nearby; my wife and all of my friends have already passed on. What lies ahead of me? I've lived a good life, loving my family, helping when I could, but was it enough? I may soon have an answer to those questions. The seconds on the clock begin slow, my eyes start to flutter. Suddenly the door opens, and my nurse rushes to my side. I notice the tears rimming her eyes when she takes my hand. "I refuse to let you die alone!" She raises my hand and touches the tears on her cheek.

With my last breath, I say, "Thank you."


We find strength.




Recognized

#115
2020


The picture is one of mine I took a few years ago. What a lonely house that hasn't been lived in for many years.

Thank you for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.