General Fiction posted April 11, 2020 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Gryffindor vs. Slytherin

A chapter in the book Love and Phoenix Tears

Quidditch

by Allieas

Miss Evans and Mister Potter,

We have decided that you both will move back to your dormitories in Gryffindor Tower. Please plan to move your belongings by the time school is out for the Christmas holiday.

Professor McGonagall

Lily felt a blush creeping up her neck - halfway through the note, she had been grasped by the intense and irrational fear that Professor McGonagall somehow knew she had allowed James to sleep in her bed, and now they were being moved as a consequence. Of course, she knew that probably wasn’t true - it was far more reasonable that they simply needed the space for training which would be beginning after the holiday break. Also, they had only been put there in the first place so that they might start to get along, but the timing was impeccable. Lily left the letter where James would see it upon returning from his Quidditch game, if he even came back. She hadn't seen him a all yesterday or this morning, though she figured he was probably preparing himself and the Gryffindor team for their big game.

Lily slipped on her shoes and secured her wand in her pocket, ready to go for her daily visit and one-sided chat with Mary, who she was sure would be happy to know her friend would be re-joining her at Gryffindor Tower soon. Lily hoped that Mary would be awake by then.  A specialist from St. Mungoe's had arrived at the Hospital Wing yesterday, and that healer had seemed optimistic about Mary's chances at recovery, so Lily was allowing herself to think more positively. 

-:-

James scanned the pitch for the tiny, gold snitch which would end this game, sighing as a Gryffindor chaser whizzed past him. The game had been drawing on for over two hours, and they were at an huge disadvantage with Mary out. He was a fair seeker, but Mary was really a star - it was as though she had a sixth sense when it came to sniffing the the thing out. James’ poor eyesight didn’t do him any favors when it came to finding the tiny ball, though - even with his glasses.  He had been a Chaser for his entire Hogwarts Quidditch career because that was here he shone. He leant forward on his broom, enjoying the cold winter air as it smacked against his cheeks, refreshing his senses, then turned his attention to Regulus Black - Slytherin’s seeker. They had to win this game and crush Slytherin, especially in light of recent events… 

Regulus had spotted the snitch. He leaned forward on his broom, gaining momentum. Matthew Kirke, a brawny 6th year and Gryffndor beater, tore after the bludger that George Wilkes had just intercepted as it made for Argo Mulciber, a chaser in James’ own year, as well as someone James personally despised on account of his friendship with Snivellus. 

Regulus’ broom spun into a tail-dive, and James shot off toward the fleeing snitch, eyes locked on its fluttering golden wings. His broom was one of the fastest, and he was gaining on the snitch by the time Regulus had managed to recover, mere meters from the ground. The Slytherin knocked against James as he caught up, but it wasn’t enough to set him of course. James pushed himself almost flat against the broom, and slammed back against Regulus, staying close enough that it was almost as though the two boys were riding the same broom. 

Black!” he growled, almost shouting above the whipping of the wind, “If Mary dies, I swear on Godric’s sword I will come after you! And I won’t be nearly so gentle as your brother was!” Not waiting for an answer, he dove after the snitch, which had taken a spiraling plunge not unlike the one that Regulus had just experienced moments before. 





This is a very short interlude, for a couple of reasons. One, I'm having a little writer's block, and two, I'm considering a huge time jump right after this, so I don't want to start it in the middle of the chapter. Any and all feedback/criticism is welcome! Thanks for reading!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Allieas All rights reserved.
Allieas has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.