General Fiction posted April 13, 2020 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
2,000 words. Kathy and Amy go to Wal-Mart.

A chapter in the book A Shadow On The Street

The Shallow Minds of Bigotry

by papa55mike

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Lewis Bradley is a man with a unique gift. He can see into the minds of the people he passes. This gift forced him into hiding from the thoughts of others.

The sun is slowly setting behind some clouds, and a few pink rays peek out - an extra evening blessing after getting out of the hospital. I loved the care, but it will be great not to have a visitor every two hours.

Kathy is quietly driving down Poplar Avenue on the way home. Amy is watching Earl play a game on Kathy's phone.

I ask myself a question. Why am I so at peace with this family? The Bell's must be a blessing sent from God. He healed my pain through them and gave a great family the chance to be whole again. I want to do that for all of my homeless friends.

Kathy turns onto Central Avenue, 16th Street is three blocks down. "You sure have been quiet back there, Lew."  

"I'm taking in all of this silence. Hospitals may not be loud, but they're never quiet."

"I remember when Amy was born." Kathy smiles. "The beeping never stops."

"I'm glad they took that cast off my shoulder. I itched in so many places that I couldn't reach. The brace is perfect. I can't wait to take a shower."

"You mean you didn't enjoy those sponge baths from those gorgeous nurses?"

"I was so embarrassed. I'm way past being turned on."

"Yeah, right!" Kathy laughs. "You're still a man." She sees someone standing on the corner when she turns into the parking lot. "I wonder who that is?"

"It's Kebon; he was the one who put a gun to my head at the Christmas dinner. I guess I hit a nerve."

"Do you think he wants to talk to you, Lew?"

"Let's say; he's building up the courage to."

Kathy stops at the overhead door and beeps the horn. Caleb's smiling face appears at the window then the door opens. Kathy pulls in and parks. The family gathers when I get out.

"I'm glad you're home, Lew," Caleb shouts. "Maybe things will get back to normal, and Kathy will stay home."

Kathy pokes him in the side. "Normal, you had to work a little more. That's all."

Terrel walks up. "They never stop, just an old married couple. How are you, Lew?"

"Great! I'm home."

~

Kathy has supper ready when I walk out of the bathroom, all clean and spiffy. We all sit together at the table as the family we are. Well, I'm at one end, they're at the other.

It's hard eating peas with one hand, but the meatloaf is delicious. That's when I realize I forgot my meds. "I just remembered. We need to go to Wal-Mart in the morning to get my meds."

"That's no problem." Kathy smiles. "Amy and I will get them. I have a list for Wal-Mart anyway. Why don't you tell the guys about the sponge bath the buxom blonde nurse gave you? I'm sure they want to hear about that."

I smile at their curious faces. "Absolutely not! Since you became my daughter, Kathy, this is a side of you I've never seen."

"But you still love me."

"Yes, I do."

Caleb turns to a confused Terrel. "I'll let you know in the morning."

"I'd appreciate that, Caleb."

~

Kathy buckles Amy into her car seat.

I look back at my beautiful daughter. Her Minnie Mouse buns are perfect this morning - they match her Minnie tee shirt and tutu combo. "Wal-Mart, mommy?"

"Yes, my darling daughter. To Wal-Mart, we go!"

"Yay!"

Turning into the parking lot, I look for a parking space somewhere close by, but no such luck. After finding a cart, I use disinfectant wipes to clean it off. "No germs for Amy."

We finally load up, and Amy's dark brown eyes sparkle when I step in front of the cart. "Fast, mommy, fast."

I start revving the cart up. "Vroom, vroom, vroom!" We start running towards the entrance while Amy cackles.

I notice an elderly white couple getting out of their car looking at us with total disdain on their faces. I've seen that look many times before. The sight of a white mother and a black child still disturbs a lot of people in the South.

When Amy and I go to the store, we make it an adventure. 

"All right, Amy. First, to the pharmacy, we'll fight the dragons off with our lightsabers on the way. Ready?"

Amy gets her Jedi look. "Yes, mommy." She holds her hands in front of her, then adds the lightsaber sound. "Beuuum!"

We fight our way to the pharmacy, "Boom, Pow, Aaargh," to the smiles of every Wal-Mart worker we pass on the journey.

"Now, to the freezers. We'll have to battle the Yetis for our Friday night pizzas." 

The Yetis attack, "Aaaah!" They almost get us, but we manage to get our pizzas safely. I shake my head, when I notice that older couple glaring at us from the end of the aisle.

"It looks like aliens have invaded the coolers, sweetie. We have to sneak up to get a gallon of milk and two packs of bagels." I hunker down in front of the cart and slowly walk in that direction while Amy sits up tall to keep a lookout for Stormtroopers. 

"Finally, honey, this is our greatest challenge. We need hamburgers from the meat section. That means a deadly conflict with Cow Vader. There he is by the chicken!" 

Amy shoots. "Pow, pow, pow!" 

She wounds him with her laser pistol while I spin around and get the bacon cheddar patties from the freezer. I take off running while Amy covers the rear. "Pow, pow!" We barely escape with the groceries, and our lives then start the final journey to the checkout. 

Standing in line, the look of pure joy on Amy's face is worth me being silly for a few minutes. She holds out her arms and puckers her lips for a big kiss. How can I not oblige her? "Give me some slobbery sugar, girl."

After that loving kiss, I hear a disgusted sigh from behind me. There's no need to turn; I know who is standing there and refuse to give that couple a chance to offend me.  

That's when I hear a female voice from behind me ask, "How can you kiss that little nigger?"

Well, there's go that chance. The cashier stops what she's doing and looks at me while grabbing the intercom.

I slowly shake my head no, then turn with a big smile. "This little nigger happens to be my daughter, who I love dearly."

The man decides to add his two cents now. "You sicken me! How dare you lay with that kind of man. You're a disgrace to the white race."

The cashier calmly calls over the intercom. "Security, code red, register two." 

"Oh, it's worse than that," I calmly reply. "I married him. In case you want to know, we had sex last night. It was amazing!"

Both of them recoil. The man answers, "You're a piece of filth."

That's when a large, black member of security asks, "Is there a problem here?"

I quietly answer, "No, I'm a happy camper." Amy grabs my arm.

The security guard looks at Amy and me then sees what's going on. He turns to the older couple. "Well, I see an empty register. We can check you over there with no waiting." He begins to usher them three aisles over to rigorous complaints.

We finally get to the cashier. She starts scanning our items, then says, "I would have slapped them both."

"I learned a long time ago, that's what they want. Then you become the filth those people see. It's not worth it."

The cashier smiles. "You're a better woman than I am, sweetie."

She hands me the change when the older couple walks by scowling at us.

~

Amy is playing a Baby Shark video on my phone while flawlessly car seat dancing to the song. I notice an old car that seems to be following us. I swear it was behind us on Winchester Avenue before I turned onto Poplar. 

"I'll bet that old car turns onto Central with me. I can't believe they followed us home."

I wait until the last second to turn and didn't use my signal. I was hoping I could lose that car, but no. I can see the old couple fuming in the front seat of their Oldsmobile. The car is about the same shade of gray as their hair.

When I pull in to the parking lot, I stop short of the overhead door and turn to Amy before getting out. "Sweetie, you stay in the car until I come and get you."

"Okay, mommy."

I shut the door, walk around the car, and wait for them to see me. It takes a minute for them to pull in and stop. The couple gets out, but only the man walks towards me. "How dare you disrespect us in that store."

"Why shouldn't I? You gave me no respect at all. I was a worthless piece of filth to you." Somebody is walking this way from the corner. It's Kebon! He walks over to the car and stands by me.

The man asks, "Is this your nigger husband?"

I hear the overhead door open behind me. "No, I happen to be Kathy's nigger husband. What is it to you?"

I can tell Caleb is angry, and somebody might get hurt. These people aren't worth jail time. "Hey, Lew!"

"I'm right here, sweetie." Walking by Caleb, I say, "Let me handle this. I know how to deal with them."

With a big smile, I greet them. "Good morning, brethren." I reach out to shake their hands. "My name is Pastor Lewis Bradley." I'm close enough to feel the bigotry stewing in his mind.

The man smiles. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Pastor. Are you mentoring this small flock?"

"No, they live with me. These are my dear friends who I love deeply."

"How can you live with such evil people?" The man snarls his question.

"Well, it's a matter of perception. I believe what the Apostle Paul said in Galatians 3:28; There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male or female, for we are all one in Christ. When I was in the pulpit, I always added this phrase. There is also no black nor white, nor brown or tan, nor American, Asian, or European. When I look at my friends, I don't see the color of their skin. I see the love of Jesus."

"Do you condone this wickedness?"

"I am sorry to say this, but the only wickedness I see is the hatred in your heart. I bet you're an Elder at your church?"

"That's right! I've been an Elder for forty-nine years."

"With this much hatred in your soul, how can you be? Where is your love for others? The love Jesus freely shared with everyone. I want you to know that I will pray for you to find the true love of Jesus Christ."

The shocked husband starts to say, "Wel..." They slowly get back in their Oldsmobile and drive away.

Caleb walks over to Kebon. "Thank you for standing with my wife." He reaches out his hand in friendship. 

"Nothing but a thing, brother. I've seen that kind, a thousand times." He turns to me. "I love what you did. You made them see their hatred for what it was."

"I pity them, Kebon. They're blind to the love that surrounds them."

Kathy speaks up. "All right. We need to get these groceries inside, and I'm starving." She turns to Kebon. "Would you like to join us for lunch, Kebon?"

"Nah, I have a few things to do. Maybe next time."

Kathy reaches her arms around his neck and kisses his cheek. "Thank you."

I walk over and shake his hand. "See you soon." I see many questions in Kebon's mind.

"Yeah, you will."





Several years ago, I experienced this problem at Wal-Mart with a two-year-old friend named Jaydon. His mother was working Saturdays at the time, so we would take Jaydon to the stores with us. While Wanda got the food, Jaydon and I would play all over the Wal-Mart while picking up the other stuff we needed. Some of the evil looks on people's faces were quite stunning because his skin color is a lot darker than mine. Wanda and I would get some awful looks while standing in line.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.