Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 8, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Musings

Heroes in the Family

by w.j.debi












I don't normally share my musings, but this morning the quotation I deciphered after I finished working a cryptogram puzzle got me thinking.





(A cryptogram is a puzzle that requires you to decode a saying where the original letters have been substituted by different ones--basically, solve for the secret code.) The quote was from Stephen King:

"Don't let the sun go down without saying thank you to someone, and without admitting to yourself that absolutely no one gets this far alone."

I have to admit that during this coronavirus lock-down, my siblings are truly unsung heroes. I need to reach out and let them know how much I appreciate them.

One brother works in maintenance for a group of doctors who own five clinics. He's the guy they call to fix the drains, hang a picture, paint the walls, clear the sidewalks, remove the snow, mow the lawns, figure out why the electricity went out, etc. A handy guy to have around. Right now, he is suited up just like the doctors and nurses with gown, mask, gloves, etc. He told me, because of the garb, he's even been called doctor a few times by patients. He's in the thick of it.

My other brother works in electronics for a company building ventilators. The office workers may work from home, but my brother has plenty to do and it has to be done on site at his company. He has always been proud of the product he produces and the lives it has made better; right now, it's more important than it's ever been.

My sister works for the U.S. Postal Service. They may not be getting much press, but the post office is considered an essential service and still requires workers to go in, and they are even hiring at present. I know I am grateful my mail has continued to arrive uninterrupted.

Me? Well, I am unemployed at the moment. My brother who works in maintenance sent me this text to consider as I search for work:

"Some of us are stuck between being thankful we still have jobs to go to, and terrified we still have jobs to go to."

There is a bright side to everything. At least I have some extra time to write.
~~~~~~



Recognized


I apologize for the large space between the first sentence and the rest of the post. I'm not sure what is going on with my computer, but I cannot get anything to post in between no matter how I position it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.