Romance Fiction posted March 19, 2020 Chapters: 1 2 -2- 3 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ghosts walk among us; yet, leave no tracks!

A chapter in the book My Jigsaw Puzzle: The Missing Piece

The Ghosts!

by Commando


Chapter 2

Greetings, Friends!

Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this book. Our wish is to make you laugh and cry, then leave you in a state of uncertainty as to what will happen next. We invite you to follow along and shall appreciate your feedback and recommendations for improvement. As always, thank you for reading and best wishes wherever you are.  Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy and Bill.

 ~Previously~

 
So, guess what? I found out who may have killed Sue's parents--poor Sue! Having lost her parents at such a young age puts my mind in a rage. The story doesn't end there, either. Sue's gone through a tough time, all right. Her uncle, Howard Jones, contends that he's often visited by Sue's mother and father. "Hog squalor," I say! Howard says, "I look across the water some nights and still see 'em rowing in the canoe. Some folks say, "I'm crazy!" I say to them, "You, betcha I am!" I believe that their ghosts walk among us; yet, leave no tracks. So, I'll shout and holler if I wanna--"Whoop-de-doo!"

*Special Note*

Some words are written in a way that are appropriate for Smoky Mountain folks; yet, they are not always grammatically correct. Characters, at times, will reflect earlier scenes in their lives. They shall, as well, actually talk with the reader. Wider spaces between words are due to the use of "fully justified formatting."

~Chapter 2~
 
"Oh, yakety yak! It was quite obvious that Howard Jones had fallen into a barrel of moonshine whiskey, then drank his way out. As for proof of his hitting Sue's mom and dad in the canoe, there wasn't any. Of course, it happened many years ago; yet, that doesn't matter, 'cause the mental scar of Sue's loss was still there when she died. There's no wonder Sue acted crazy. The bottom line--"Every person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. No person shall be convicted of any offense unless the person's guilt thereof is proven beyond a reasonable doubt." Therefore, my job as a paranormal investigator is to find evidence for legal actions. The press--to--test is, "Will I do this?" You betcha, I will!
*******
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure, "If I wanted information on who possibly crashed their boat into the canoe and killed Sue's mom and dad, I should begin my investigation at the local diner. This story has been the topic of conversation there for around 30 years. Of course, when my family and I first arrived here, my mother made it crystal clear that Katie and I must not go near the diner or Ol' Man Howard Jones. Yet, today, I'm older, bolder, and here to say, "I'm gonna do it in a paranormal investigator's way!" Besides, I've been told of another who has been wanting to solve this mystery, and I'm meeting him there.
*******
Once arriving, I parked the automobile, then began walking toward the building. I saw a tall, handsome man standing near the entrance, and the sight of him made my heart pump like a Texas oil well. Although I had never seen him before, his face glowed like fireflies in the night. "Could this be him?" I whispered.

"C'mon, baby--shake it! Woo Hoo, I think I'm a 'fallin' in love with you!" I called.  "My name is Bill Bishop, an undercover paranormal investigator. I've been assigned to work with you on the investigation. Just so you know, I'm gonna load you up in my fancy pontiac convertable, then marry you when the red roses bloom. Hopefully, I'll still have money left for gasoline."

"Sweet Jesus! Get away from me, you silly gander. I don't even know you yet. What nuthouse did you escape from?"

"The one that ten beautiful women went crazy in because I wouldn't sleep with them. Now, let's you and I go inside the diner, ask some questions, then begin our investigation. Do you promise not to get frisky with me--do you, huh?"

"Jeez! If I did play around, your face would turn candy apple red. So, for now, hold the thought of our going to bed right off; yet, we'll toss it around later. Beyond a doubt, you are the most flirty,  flamboyant, and histrionic man I've met."

"Thanks for noticing, Cathy--I do try hard! Hmm! While we're being nosy, come sit with me at the table; I'll buy us a glass of muscadine wine . . . and we'll have a romping, stomping good time--oh yes! Please God, help me to remember the day I met this beautiful and extremely impressive lady. Reach out Your hand and guide us along the way. Join us at the hip, so nothing will divide us. Make our thoughts toward one another kind and our words gracious. Grant us the power to remain humble, wise, and vigilant as we jump the hurdles of our investigation."

"Amen, Bill! Now, get your big hand off my thigh."

"Oh, my! Why? 'Cause it's not that high. So, c'mon, there's no one here tonight. Let's boogie on outta here, 'cause we've got miles to go before we sleep. Do you pull the cover? Of course, that's another story. Speaking of stories, there are many about the folks here in town that were around when Sue's parents were killed. I'll share a few with you while we drive to the lake to investigate. 

Starting with Joey Jackson; he was a keep-to-himself kinda fella who liked to feed pigeons at the park by the lake. When he needed to answer nature's call, instead of finding the nearest bathroom, he would stand behind an old oak tree--then pee. Of course, that didn't work so well, 'cause all the dogs around got mad and bit his tail. A heap of folks from all around watched the tree slowly die, then blamed Joey for killing it; yet, they didn't mention the dogs who had contributed to its death. A homeless man who lived under a bridge close to the lake swore that it was the moonshine whiskey he drank that killed it. . . and nothing more!"

"Golly Gee! How do you know so much about everyone?"

"Because I was born and raised in Pigeon Forge which is only nine miles north of Gatlinburg where I graduated from high school. Also, I dated Sue for a while. Of course, she was older than me; but, I made her smile every once in a while . . . and it was a big smile, too! Now, let me share some more history with you so you'll be on the same page with me, okay?"

"Okay, Bill; yet, keep your distance--do you hear me? Of course, getting closer later will be our little secret. I hope you don't find me too bold."

"Oh, I've been told you're a whippersnapper! Why haven't you married? There's lots of men 'round here that are keeping their eyes on you--me, too!  Now, look and listen to me as I talk more history. There was also Samantha Higgins, the spinster in town who ran a boarding house that took in battered women. She would hide 'em in a secret room just off her basement, so when the husbands came looking she would deny their presence."

"Wow! Samantha was either brave, or crazy like the ten beautiful women you wouldn't sleep with, huh?"

"Shucks! I forgot to finish my story. I stopped being selfish, then called, 'Come one--come all!'  Now, back to Samantha. She was beaten when she was a child and did not want to see anyone else having to live through a similar lifestyle. Unfortunately, most of her boarders ended up back home again facing the same situations that brought them to her. However, her door was always open and many returned. I'm gonna hold off telling you more now 'cause it's dark, and we're at the park by the lake where Sue's mom and dad floated to the top."

 "Oh, my God! Look, Bill. Are my eyes deceiving me, or do I see two ghosts standing in the park?"

"Come to my arms, Cathy! 'Cause it appears that Sue's mom and dad's ghosts are among us."

"I'm so frightened; yet, maybe they'll tell us who crashed into them. Do you think so?"

"We'll know soon, 'cause their walking toward us now." 

 



 



Recognized


Greetings, Friends! It is an honor having you read our work and to follow along chapter after chapter. Cathy and I appreciate your continued support. Your thoughts matter to us, and we ask that you offer suggestions for improvement. A "Salute" to Cathy for designing the awesome cover. Co-authoring with her is an honor. Best wishes wherever you are and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy (aka Tootie) and Bill (aka Commando).
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.