Romance Fiction posted March 8, 2020 Chapters:  ...54 55 -56- 57... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan admits he thinks McKenzie is attractive.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 24 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
I'm happy to announce that 'Under Siege on the Rockin' A' is finally published. You can find it on Amazon.com. You probably don't recognize the title. Maybe this will refresh your memory.
Sonsee-array 'Soni' Adler inherited the Rockin' A ranch from her father. Flying her helicopter home from Laredo she discovers a mysterious injured man, Jim Burn, and brings him home for medical attention. He refuses a doctor, so Soni calls her grandfather, a Lipan Apache medicine man, Kuruk, to heal him back to health. Soni finds herself in the middle of three battles during this novel.
First, I-10 runs through the Rockin' A. Numerous drug cartels battle
over ownership of this territory. This ranch is the battleground.
The second problem: somebody attempts to forcibly take the ranch
from her. The ranch's ownership comes into play.
Finally, the mysterious Jim Burns: who is he? Who does he work for? What part does he play with all of this?
Siege of the Rockin' A weaves together an irresistible tale of romance
through history, Apache beliefs, and events taken from today's
headlines. Readers will be enthralled from the first page to the last.


It's very early Saturday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 11 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

On the way home, McKenzie glanced at her phone. "It's getting late. Want to stop and get something or order delivery?"

"How about a pizza? I'll make a salad? What's your favorite?"

"Pepperoni or Italian sausage. What's yours?"

"Sausage, onions, mushrooms."

McKenzie took out her phone. "It'll take us another thirty minutes to get home. I'll have them deliver it in, what forty-five minutes?" After Logan nodded, she ordered an X-large sausage, onion, and mushroom pizza."

When McKenzie hung up, Logan teased, "An X-large? What were you thinking?"

"How hungry I am."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 24 PART 1

McKenzie tossed and turned, slept a little here and a little there. Finally, about three-fifty she climbed out of bed, put on some pajama bottoms, and walked halfway down the stairs. She sat and watched Logan do one armed push-ups. So that's how he maintains those muscles. She continued to watch.

Arlo ran up to Logan and licked his face.

"Hey little buddy, what's wrong? You want out?"

Arlo ran to the stairs, wagging his tail.

Logan stood and followed him. "I see I have a voyeur." He offered his hand to help her up. "Can't sleep?"

She accepted it. "Not really. What's your excuse?"

"I don't require a lot of sleep, remember?"

Edger lumbered up to him with his leash in his mouth.

"You have my dogs spoiled rotten. I'm never getting up at this hour to run with them."

"I'll tell you what. Why don't you sit beside me on the couch? Maybe you'll fall back to sleep. After you do, I'll go for a run with the dogs. Deal?"

They walked over to the couch and sat.

"Sounds good." She laid her head against his arm. "How far do you run?"

"Seven to ten miles, depending on the day."

"So, my five miles is wimpy?"

"Not really, it was a good workout." He put his arm around her and kissed the top of her head. "Go back to sleep."

"You did your workout and then ran with me, didn't you?"

"Guilty as charged. Good night."

"Logan?"

He put his finger to her lips. "Shh." He grinned. I've learned how grumpy you can be without sleep. "We'll talk in the morning."

After she fell asleep, he covered her and kissed her forehead. "I'll be back before you wake up."

*****
When Logan and the dogs returned from their run, he let them outside, made a pot of coffee, and then went upstairs to shower. He was back downstairs before McKenzie woke up and poured himself a large cup of black coffee and then sat beside her.

About seven o'clock, McKenzie stirred. "Good morning." Logan set down his phone. "Ready to start your day?"

"I thought you were going for a run?"

"We did, didn't we guys?"

"You're talking to my dogs, again."

"Ready for coffee, or you want to wait a little while?

"I'll get ready and then come back for it."

"I'll have a fresh pot by then. Today's clean house day, right?"

"It is. I'll start laundry when I come down. You can add stuff if you want to."

"I've been keeping up with it in the mornings."

"Figures."

*****
Around noon most of the housework was finished, and during lunch McKenzie asked, "Did you think Delilah was pretty?"

"Is that what kept you from sleeping last night?"

"Not really. In case you haven't noticed, there's been a lot going on."

"I noticed. That's why your question surprised me. There's a lot more to worry about than that."

McKenzie tilted her head. "Did you?"

"No, I didn't find her attractive."

"Why not? Her figure was almost perfect. Everything about her was perfect."

Logan took a drink of water. "She was made up. Her make-up was caked on. I'm betting her figure was bought. I prefer more natural beauty, someone like you."

Her eyebrows rose. "What?"

"You heard me. I think you're much prettier than she'll ever be. I'm not the only man who thinks that. Every time we go someplace, I've noticed how the men stare at you. They're envious that I'm with you. That's real beauty."

"But..."

"But, nothing," interrupted Logan. "Finish your lunch. We need to do a grocery list." He paused. "Think we can go shopping tomorrow? Since we ordered pizza last night, I still have your special dinner to make."

Ignoring what he just said, McKenzie asked, "Do you really think I'm pretty?"

He got up, walked over to her, cupped her face in his hands, and stared into her eyes. "Yes, I do."

Both heads turned as somebody knocked on the door.



Another question::: I am working on a title for the novel I finished about the Shana and Anderson. The title I'm leaning toward is 'Love's Kosher Quandry'. Unfortunately, my husband says it sounds like I'm ordering a kosher hotdog from a convenient gas station. What do you all think?

Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murger.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much later in the novel



Recognized


Thank you google imagines for a photo Edger and Arlo. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little under 700 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your generous support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.