General Fiction posted March 29, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Og leads his people.

Og and Ugg ~ The Attack, Part 1

by Sally Law


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

Good news had spread throughout the land of Uz. The twins had arrived to Og and Ugg to the surprise and delight of everyone.

A celebration was planned for the warmer weather, to honor the new arrivals among the local tribesmen and their families.

It took many weeks to choose their names. Finally, fitting names were given to both.

Rock was the man-child and younger of the two. He was larger than his sister by a hand-sized stone. Thus, his name. His hair was black as the field crow, and stuck out in every direction.

Willow was sweet, yet weepy. She was named for the crying tree at the edge of the river where Og speared trout. When tiny Willow was hungry, there was no mistaking her cry for anything else. Og said Willow resembled Ugg, with her flaxen hair and deep blue eyes.

Rock and Willow seemed to soothe each other, and were happiest when they were side-by-side both day and night. The new family grew up together and nothing was more enjoyable than sitting outside by the fire at night and studying the sky. Ugg taught her family all the beautiful pictures in the skies, and especially the navigational star to the north.

But with the warmer weather came word of an attack. Marauders had entered the land of Uz, preying upon the smaller tribes. It had been reported that the maurauding groups moved quickly; robbing, killing, and taking children. This vexed Og to the point of worry. He had a family now and much to think about. He was in a fortified place within the cliffs, but miles away from the neighboring tribes and those he relied upon for strength.

After securing Ugg in the cave with the babies and their dogs, Og hurried down the mountain to the valley tribe below to form a plan. Upon arrival, the elder tribesman brought him into the council and offered a midday meal.

The concern was visible on the elder as he spoke.

"Og, we must unite for strength, as our enemies are approaching. Even now, they have crossed our peaceful boundaries. We must make a plan this hour and act," said the elder.

Og thought before he spoke. "I live in the high place, in a fortress of rock. The path to my cave is narrow, and it is hard to trek. It would be impossible for an armed group of maurauders to ascend it on horseback. Let us go there as fast as we can with supplies in hand. I have dried meats, berries, herbs, and edible flowers stored. Mountain water flows to the cave in a pool. I have much to offer for as long as we need," said Og. "This is best for all of us, but I will do as you think. I am still young in these things."

The elder weighed these words as he ate. His hesitations gave way as he contemplated Og's plan. "We have ten families. It is no small thing to do this, and to do it quickly."

"No, it is not easy, either way. I have my babies and Ugg. The dogs will easily follow us. But to traverse down the mountain with our children will take great care. They are tender sucklings."

All the tribesmen nodded in agreement. "We will come to you and Ugg," said the elder. "I will send equal amounts of men and women with you now and follow behind with the rest tomorrow." The elder rose and led with the preparations.

Og gathered his group and left for the cave within the hour. He was heavy-laden with provisions, and carried a small she-creature on his back. His pace was swift, and he kept time with his walking stick. The sun was bowing, but still two to three hours from setting. The clan stayed right in step with Og.

The afternoon sun reached the red rocks, setting them ablaze. The group climbed up and up, relieved to be there long before sunset.

Og had stacked stones of different sizes at the narrowed path, just as it turned upward towards the cave. "Just a little more, we are almost there!" Og said, encouraging them along.

Ugg's dogs were stirred and came down the path to greet him and the newcomers. "Don't be afraid, Ugg's first children are here to welcome us!"

The group had just come upon the cave when the dogs sighted a threat. Og handed the small she-creature to her mother and grabbed his spear. He and the other men ran back down the path with the dogs.

Og was not far from the base of the mountain, when he saw them--an armed group on horseback surveying the mountainous path to his home. They had followed the group to the foothills.

Young Og took command. "Go back to the cave quickly, and guard the entrance. I need one of you here with me and the dogs. I have a plan."

The men did as Og said.

Suddenly, Ugg appeared, carrying a contraption Og had never seen before.

"Ugg, what are you doing here? Get back to the cave!" She picked up a stone and loaded the sling. "Watch this." Ugg circled her head eight times and hurled the stone with acute accuracy. She took down the leader of the mob, knocking him off his horse. Og had forgotten his mate had spent many years in the cleft of the rocks, and had fought off the ferocious mountain cats.

"Again, Ugg," shouted Og. He made his way to the stacked stones and began to push them down the hill, causing a shower of rocks below. The rest of the tribesmen joined in the fight. The retreat was sounded by their attackers as they galloped away, leaving the mountain area.

But, the marauders weren't deterred for long and had regrouped. Og and Ugg cried to the great God of heaven when they realized the maurauders were headed in the direction of the valley tribe.

To be continued....



Recognized

#55
2020






Photo: https://www.pexels.com/photo/waterfalls-3359742/@pexels.com.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.