General Fiction posted February 23, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Please read story before notes.

The Island

by Janet Foor

It was late afternoon when Daniel finished his work. Hurriedly, he washed for dinner though he longed to watch the magnificent mango colored sunset linger over the beautiful blue ocean.

Waves crashed on the rocks while he ate his dinner in silence. Lights flickered on the horizon as he listened to the sounds of laughter and traffic echo from across the bay.

Breathing deeply, he remembered the aroma of his mother's cherry pie, warm from the oven. Walking down the grey corridor, he realized he will never taste her pies again as his cell door slammed shut on Alcatraz Island.



100 Word Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


We visited San Francisco several years ago and toured Alcatraz Island at night. I walked into the cell of The Birdman of Alcatraz, sat at the dining tables where the prisoner ate and could see across the bay to San Francisco. As the street lights were coming on, I could hear the sounds of the city. I thought to myself, this is really two prisons. One with bars and guards that kept them prisoner. But also, a prisoner in their minds where they could see and hear what they were missing just a few miles away and know that they were not a part of that world anymore.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janet Foor All rights reserved.
Janet Foor has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.