Fantasy Fiction posted February 23, 2020 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Birds

A chapter in the book The Piper

The Piper, part 33

by w.j.debi


Previously
Piper is a young musician whose grandfather has passed away, leaving Piper an orphan to be raised by the music guild where he is an apprentice. After the funeral, Piper returns alone to play his flute at his grandfather's grave, and a Fae appears--a creature considered swift, strong and deadly--and compliments Piper's flute playing. Captain Burkehart comes to the rescue and escorts Piper back to the castle. During the next few weeks the Fae (Redd-Leif Summerstorm) approaches Piper on several occasions and says he has some secrets he needs to share, but each time they are interrupted by a vigilant Captain Burkehart. Meanwhile, Piper continues his musical education under the direction of the popular performer Master Braun, including traveling with a performing troupe. A wolf attack leaves Piper separated from the musicians and in the hands of Redd-Leif Summerstorm who tells Piper he is half-elven and Piper's elven mother (Melodica) is alive and wants to see him. Redd-Leif then leads Piper into the faerie realm.



End of Previous Chapter
The person balancing on the rocks continued forward and, just when it appeared he'd be knocked into the stream by the gushing surge, he disappeared behind the wall of water. One-by-one, the others followed.

Burkehart grinned. "You crafty devils."

With renewed energy, he grabbed his pack and rushed down the game trail, sliding down the steepest part so he wouldn't lose momentum. Within a few moments he stood breathless at the edge of the falls, grinning as mist sprayed toward him.


Chapter 33
Piper blew out a breath, half-expecting to see it fog on the cool spring air even though he could feel the sun's penetrating warmth reaching toward him. He considered moving his chair to a sunny part of the veranda, but the early afternoon sunshine was so bright it made his eyes water.

"Do you hear them, Piper?"

"Yes, sir. The pair you mentioned is over there." Piper pointed to a stand of trees at the end of the garden.

High Mage Crescendo did not turn to see where Piper pointed. Instead, he remained with his hands clasped behind his back and his head slightly bent, watching the bees buzz around his garden a few feet away. "Good. Now, I want you to play the piece again and see if you notice when the birds stop singing. Stand when you are certain they have stopped, but keep playing." 

A sweet melody began immediately. After a few measures, Piper stood.

"Keep playing," Crescendo reminded when he noted a slight hesitation in the melody.

Once Piper completed the tune, he removed the flute from his lips and a look of wonder spread over his face. "It's true."

Crescendo put up his hand. "Wait. Listen."

Birds started singing at the end of the garden.

Piper smiled. "They do pause to listen."

"Yes." Crescendo smiled back. "You identified it more quickly this time. You're improving."

"I'm surprised how hard it is to play music and listen for their reaction at the same time."

"It can be in the beginning." Crescendo turned to face Piper. "Let me guess. Because you've been living in the human realm, everyone comments on what good hearing you have. Am I right?"

"Not everyone, but occasionally someone makes a remark about it."

"And what did Master Acker say?"

"Grandfather told me musicians often have better hearing than most people because part of our training is to analyze sounds."

"Hmm. Yes, it makes sense; he would raise you to blend in." Crescendo turned back to the bees. "So you've never noticed how your playing affects the creatures around you?"

"No, sir. Maybe because we usually practice and perform inside."

"Or because you were concentrating on your music and shut out everything else." There was a hint of amusement in his tone.

Piper shrugged. "I guess that's possible."

"There is no need to be embarrassed, Piper. Your devotion to your music is admirable. It's one of the reasons you're such a good musician." Crescendo watched the bees for a few more moments. "Let's try something new. Let's test your ability with the bees."

"The bees?" Piper frowned. "But I'm just starting to identify when the birds stop singing. Couldn't we practice with them some more?"

Crescendo grinned. "A bit of a perfectionist, aren't you, Piper? You want to conquer and understand a thing until you master it. That's good, but I'll tell you what, practice identifying the reactions of a few birds on your own at home tonight. We can discuss your observations tomorrow." 

"I'm not sure how much time I'll have to do that. I'm joining Rupert at Moonbow Meadow tonight. We have a lot of catching up to do."

"Ah, excellent." Crescendo grinned, a twinkle in his eye. "You always carry your flute, so tonight it can serve several purposes. You can delight Rupert, and I"m sure an audience of new friends as well, and practice your skills on a different set of birds. I will be excited to hear the results."

Piper sighed.

Crescendo thought for a moment. "Piper, it is rare for anyone to display as much magical power in their music as you do. To develop it, I need to understand your capabilities. This exploration helps me as much as it does you. Please indulge me."

"Indulge you?" a feminine voice questioned from the doorway. "He's been indulging you for the past three hours. Honestly, my dear, I think you need to give Piper a break."

Crescendo turned to face his wife. "Willow, my love. How good of you to join us." He looked up at the sun. "Is it really that late? My how time flies."

"Yes, and I think it's about time you had something to eat." She lifted the tray she was holding slightly higher. "You do remember eating, don't you, dear? Honestly, you're like a child with a new toy."

Piper grinned. "It's good to see you, Lady Crescendo."

She walked over and placed the tray on the table in the middle of the veranda. "Actually, it's Lady Spring. Master Crescendo is my husband's title, but his name is Cattail Spring."

"Sorry, Lady Spring."

"It's alright; I'm used to it. Many people make the same mistake." She motioned for Piper and Crescendo to move over to the table. When they were seated, she smiled. "I imagine a growing boy like you is hungry. I baked the bread this morning so it's still warm. A little fruit and cheese should get you through the next few hours. And," she turned to give Crescendo a look, "Cattail, I realize you are excited to have such an exceptional student, but from what I gathered at the Summerstorms' last evening, Piper hasn't had much time with his family. They've waited years for this reunion. Back off a little and let the young man gain his bearings."

"You're right, as usual, my love." Crescendo turned to Piper. "I don't know what I'd do without her keeping me on track."

Lady Spring laughed. "Oh, probably starve to death as you sit in the garden with your bees and your music."

"Wow," a voice called from the doorway. "Looks like I got here just in time. And that bread smells so good."

"Rupert!" Piper rose to greet his friend.

"Master Crescendo, Lady Spring, do you mind if I join you?"  Rupert asked.

Lady Spring smiled. "Please do. Looks like I better go get another loaf of bread."

"Or two," Crescendo called after her as she disappeared into the house. "This boy can eat." He turned to Rupert. "You're back early."

"Yeah, the music masters said we deserved a break because of the great job we did at the festival last night. I was really happy to get back so Piper and I can catch up."

"I can't wait to hear what you've been doing the past two weeks." Piper gave Crescendo a hopeful look. "Sir?"

The High Mage sighed, "Looks like you won't be able to concentrate anyway so, we might as well call it a day. Besides," Crescendo added before taking his next bite, "my bees could use a rest, not to mention the birds and other creatures."

Rupert gave Piper a questioning look, but Piper just shrugged and reached for the cheese and bread.

~~~~~~



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Free stock photo. Artist = StuartMiles

Cast of Characters
*Piper = A musical apprentice, just turned age 15.
*Rupert = A musical apprentice. Piper's friend, age 14.
*Grand Master Raymond Acker = Head of the music guild. Piper's grandfather. Recently deceased leaving Piper an orphan under the care of the music guild.
*Captain Burkehart = Captain of the Guard at Castle Welf
*Redd-Leif Summerstorm = A Fae
*Master Braun = Troubadour recently promoted to the rank of Master in the music guild at Castle Welf
*Sheba = an enchanted creature in wolf form
*Melodica = an Elven female
*Master Raven = Elf; master hunter
*Lynx = Ten-year-old son of Redd-Leif and Melodica Summerstorm
*Serein = Six-year-old daughter of Redd-Leif and Melodica Summerstorm
*Master Crescendo = Elven High Mage, First Sage of Music and Song

Elementals, also called Fair Folk by humans
*Fae = Oldest of the elemental races. Known as strong, swift and deadly by their enemies. Characterized by white hair and skin that shimmers silver-blue in direct moonlight. Usually taller than humans and muscular.
*Elf = Most numerous of the elementals. Often slightly taller and more slender than humans.
*Pixie = In their normal form they are six inches tall with wings, but they can change size to as large as humans or as small as a faerie.
*Faerie = Vary in height from one to three inches. Wings vary and can appear to be like those of dragonflies or butterflies.

Fair Folk = Name given to faerie races by humans. Refers to elves, Fae, faeries, brownies, sprites, gnomes, dwarfs, etc.
Pays
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.