General Non-Fiction posted February 21, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Litter-bug, unwitting; big mess nonetheless!

Someone Else's Job

by Elizabeth Emerald



It took me nearly an hour to clean up the mess.

And what a mess it was: raccoons had crawled into the barrel, clawed and gnawed through double-thick Hefty bags, then dragged them over and out, spewing garbage trails which fanned out, barrel-side to pond-side. Six wheel-spokes were intact, the rest had been overlaid with criss-crossing paths, courtesy of other hungry creatures of the night.

When performing my self-appointed civic duty, I abide by my own rules. Rule #1: Don't go looking for trouble. That is, what happens in the woods, stays in the woods--so long as you can't see it from the street. Corollary, alas: If you see it, you gotta go after it--and everything else you see once you get there.

There was no way I could NOT see the football-field of filth, short of spinning my head Linda-Blair-style. I donned a pair of surgical gauntlets, hoisted my trusty spear, and yelling my poignant battle cry--This job SUCKS--charged forth into the muck.

While such work is underway, I am wont to pass the time reflecting upon the character of the culprits who thoughtlessly toss their trash--coffee cups and candy wrappers from car-windows--or who hurl mattresses and sofas over embankments. After careful consideration of the sundry subtleties that serve to motivate these misguided souls, I invariably conclude that they are suffering from WADS. Rather, the rest of us are suffering as a result of their having What A Dick! Syndrome.

It is also customary for me to fantasize about catching these WADS-guys and making them pay for their heinous crimes against nature. I propose a punishment of community service. Not some cushy, keep-your-hands-clean volunteer work--but down-and-dirty in the trenches--with me, whip in hand. I figure one week's worth of hard labor per piece of litter, or per pound of dumped upholstery.

Until I came upon this latest-and-greatest garden of garbage, the single most foul thing I'd encountered was a sack of dead fish. That stench paled in comparison to the dozens of soiled Depends and their sidekicks: stained disposable mattress pads.

With each nasty piece of business I was obliged to retrieve and re-bag, I grew increasingly disgusted. And frustrated to boot--after all, I couldn't even entertain myself by coming up with a creative punishment protocol for raccoons. They were just doing their regular raccoon-duty.
So who could I blame? The obvious choice, seemed to me, would be the person who had dumped the bag of baddies there to begin with.

But, the more I thought about it, the less that made sense. First of all, the original, sturdy, trash bag was placed in, or beside, the barrel. True, the barrel is intended for passersby--not for residents who won't be bothered to wait for trash day.

But what if, say, you're tending a demented, incontinent parent--day-after-day-after-day--the last thing you need to top off that tasty treat is a house that reeks between rubbish-retrieval respites: Week-after-week-after-week. And, after all...

It took me less than an hour to clean up the mess.





Thanks to MoonWillow for artwork: Undergrowth III
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.