General Script posted February 20, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Forgery falls flat

Rookie Mistake

by Elizabeth Emerald


This is intended for an open mic event or for acting/writing class entertainment; it may simply be enjoyed - I hope - by the reader.



LINDA:

So, here I am, facing serious time for forgery. Specifically: fabricating a will for financial gain—of which I’m not guilty. True, I did create a fraudulent document; what I mean is, I didn’t do it for the money, for the 800K—which is the worth of the house I purported to inherit. After all, I own the house next door, worth the same 800K, give or take ten. 

I didn’t do it for money; I did it for love.

I loved him; for 20 years, I loved him. Jim. I still do, always will, no matter that he’s dead. Which is the reason I so desperately wanted his house. It was the only way I could keep him with me. I couldn’t bear the thought of Jim’s precious possessions getting chucked in a dumpster, his house sold to someone who would remodel it beyond recognition. 

It’s not as if I’d be taking it away from his kids or anything; he had none. His single sister has her own house. So what’s the harm, really? I’d have cherished that house, kept Jim enshrined, been closer to him in death than I ever was in life. It’s only right I should have it; I loved him so. Love, love, love him so.

How could he not have known? I loved him to bursting, I did—and do—how wasn’t it obvious? I kept waiting, for 20 years waiting, for Jim to realize we belonged together. 

That Sunday, June second, when Chris found Jim on the floor, she banged on my door. We waited together until the ambulance came; they pronounced Jim dead at the scene.

That very night; I drafted the letter. I dated it that day, June second, to ensure it would supersede any other will Jim may have made in his final days.

I can’t believe how stupid I was; it never occurred to me that they could tell for a fact that Jim had died at least a day before he was found. Busted!

Still, I pride myself on the signature. A masterful job I did; they’d never have caught me on that. Flawless, it was. I practiced for three days until I got it just right . Excruciating work, it was—far more so than it would have been for anyone starting from scratch. Force of habit’s a bitch; after all, I’ve spent 20 years writing in my own hand:

Mrs.James Deveau  Mrs.James Deveau Mrs.James Deveau  Mrs.James Deveau… 



 



Recognized


Woodland Queen by LittleBogie 007 on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!


This was inspired by a tale told me by the sister of my late friend, "Jim." (In the end, she declined to press charges against the would-be "Mrs. James Deveau.")
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.