Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted February 15, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The movie of a lifetime...

Happy Tears Through the Years

by Y. M. Roger


Mem'ries of mom when I was eight,
Tissue box close, tears in her eyes...
On the T-V was quite a kiss –
Fair red-head lass and handsome guy.
 
At twenty I was drawn again
To the screen with Cary and Deb –
A promise and the Empire State,
Earned my tears for those two celebs.
 
Decades have passed but just today,
I’m crying for that sweet duet –
Oh, ‘An Affair to Remember’
Is one that we’ll never forget!

 



February Fun Poem writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
So, February is upon us... and it doesn't JUST mean Valentines! In fact, it COULD mean a whole host of other things... but you must CHOOSE ONE. That's right! The link below will bring you to the humongous list of things for which February has been designated the official month for.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/february-monthly-observations/

Your poetry assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to pick ONE of those items on that list and write a TWELVE LINE RHYMED POEM about it. There is no specified meter or rhyme scheme, so it's totally up to you how the rhythm will work for your month choice. However, when it's all said and done, it must be EXACTLY TWELVE lines and it must RHYME. Remember to include your chosen month designation in your author notes!!

Please keep it CLEAN (I've seen some of those choices on there) and kick it up a notch with your presentation: make us WANT to celebrate February for your choice.... and, of course, want to vote for your Feb-Fun Poem!!

Good luck and run over there and choose.....we're all waiting!! ;-) ;-)

Recognized


**February is 'An Affair to Remember Month'

'An Affair to Remember' is a 1957 romance film starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. According to the American Film Institute, it is considered the most romantic film of all time.

SPOILER ALERT - This is a COMPLETE movie synopsis!
[Please watch the movie FIRST if you have not seen it!!]
Nickie Ferrante (Cary Grant), a well-known playboy, meets Terry McKay (Deborah Kerr) aboard the transatlantic ocean liner SS Constitution en route from Europe to New York. Each is involved with someone else. After a series of meetings aboard the ship, they establish a friendship. When Terry joins Nickie on a brief visit to his grandmother, Janou, while the ship is anchored near her home at Villefranche-sur-Mer on the Mediterranean coast, she sees Nickie with new eyes and their feelings become deeper. During their visit, Janou tells Terry that Nickie is a talented painter but destroys most of his paintings because they don't meet his standards. As the ship returns to New York City, they agree to reunite at the top of the Empire State Building in six months' time if they have succeeded in ending their relationships and starting new careers.

On the day of their rendezvous, Terry, hurrying to reach the Empire State Building, is struck down by a car while crossing a street. Gravely injured, she is rushed to the hospital. Meanwhile, Nickie, waiting for her at the observation deck at the top of the building, is unaware of the accident and, after many hours, leaves at midnight, believing she has rejected him.

After the accident, Terry, now unable to walk, refuses to contact Nickie because of her disability. Instead, she finds work as a music teacher. Nickie has pursued his painting and has his work displayed by Courbet, an art shop owner. Six months after the accident, Terry sees Nickie with his former fiance at the ballet, which she herself is attending with her former boyfriend. Nickie does not notice her condition because she is seated, and she says hello as he passes her.

Nickie learns Terry's address and on Christmas Eve pays her a surprise visit. Although he tries to get her to explain her actions, Terry dodges the subject, never leaving the couch on which she sits. He gives her a shawl that Janou left for her after she died. As he is leaving, Nickie mentions a painting that he had been working on when they originally met, and that it was just given away to a woman who liked it but had no money. He is about to say that the woman was in a wheelchair when he pauses, suddenly suspecting why Terry has been sitting unmoving on the couch. He walks into her bedroom and sees the painting hanging on the wall. The film ends with the two in a tight embrace and Terry saying, "If you can paint, I can walk. Anything can happen, don't you think?"
[en.wikipedia.org]

Movie Poster image from Google Images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.