Supernatural Fiction posted February 15, 2020 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

A New Life

by scongrove




Background
I want to thank everyone for reading my chapters and for all your helpful advice. You make a difference. This book has been fun to create. Hopefully, it will be out in March. Now, onto book six!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in underground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will become the thing that has cursed her.   
 

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must go back to earth—with the help of her comrades-at-arms—for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature.

While Jena heals in the hospital, her thirst for blood rises. Desperate for help, she confides in her best friend Angie, realizing time is running out. Surprisingly, Angie has a few secrets of her own. What she reveals to Jena goes beyond unbelievable. Not only is Angie not human—born with the ability to shift into a wolf—there is a secret species of supernatural beings called the Breedline.

Now that Jena’s reality has slowly shifted into a bizarre realm, she must come to accept the unbelievable and trust her friend before it’s too late. As the bond between the two friends become closer than ever, Angie promises Jena she will do everything she can to help her. Left with no other choice, Angie decides to reach out to the Breedline Covenant for help. But unknown to all, the immortal creature will stop at nothing until he gets what he wants—to seduce Jena and make her his bride.

Meanwhile, as Angie has Jena moved to the safety of the Breedline Covenant, the creature manages to seduce Jena and tricks her into drinking her own blood. Now that the curse is set into motion, Jena is doomed to become what she fought so hard to resist . . . a bloodthirsty killer. Just when Jena begins to feel as though she has lost all hope, someone mysteriously leaves a journal in her bedroom. Soon after, she discovers it’s a memoir from the 1800s and belongs to a Nicolas Ratcliff. As Jena continues to read on, she finds herself drawn to this mysterious person, the creature’s younger brother. When she finishes reading the last entry, there is a note addressed to her. Nicolas asks Jena to come alone to the Salem Cemetery at dusk to help him end his brother’s curse and save a young girl that his brother holds captive.  
        

Regrettably, Jena must face her worst fears. Sinch she had weakened to the will of the creature, she felt she needed to confess the bad news to her best friend and to the Covenant, as well as the discovery and contents of Nicolas’s journal.  While members of the Breedline Covenant processes Jena’s dilemma, the battle angels are to arrive at dusk to help Jena destroy the creature.

While the members of the Breedline prepares for the battle angel’s arrival, they unexpectedly discover Jena has shifted into her creature and somehow made it past the Covenant’s security. When Tessa and Angie search Jena’s room, desperate to find out why she took off and where she went, they find a note hidden under her mattress. After reading it, they are completely shocked to find out Jena is heading to the Salem Cemetery to help Nicolas Ratcliff destroy the creature. Before the angels arrive at dusk, they gather everyone in a meeting. When the battle angels and the Fury arrive, the Breedline tell them about Jena’s disappearance. While they discuss their plan, Bull notices Angie is missing and senses she is in distress. Without further delay, they form a plan—sending Jace’s beast ahead of everyone—to help Jena and Angie destroy the creature.

Now that Ashton discovers his brother Nicolas and Jena’s plan to destroy him, he reveals a disturbing secret unknown to all. Not only is Jena a Necromancer, explaining her ability to speak with the dead, she is also a descendant of Isabella Westfield—a young woman he fell in love with over two centuries ago—and the daughter of Lucifer.

Completely devastated, Jena refuses to believe him. Just when it seems all hope is lost, Nicolas appears out of nowhere and vows to protect her. When Nicolas threatens his brother’s life, Ashton reveals to him that their fate is bound together.

As the confrontation between the two brothers rises, Ashton attacks Nicolas and renders him unconscious. As Ashton attempts to take Jena against her will, he’s caught off guard by Angie’s Breedline wolf. Although her wolf is no match for Ashton’s creature, she doesn’t give up the fight and continues to do everything in her power to protect Jena.

When Ashton overpowers Angie, gripping her by the throat, Jena helplessly watches her best friend fight for her life, begging him to let her go. Caught off guard, Ashton finds himself in a hairy predicament when Jace’s beast, the battle angels and many other supernatural beings come to Angie’s rescue.

While the heroic team of supernatural beings believes they have Ashton’s creature overpowered, a five-headed hydra emerges from beneath the ground, bringing forth a blazing fire. Using their mighty swords, the battle angels destroy the hydra, and in turn, set Jena free of Ashton’s binding spell. Using her inner strength, Jena summons her own creature and attacks Ashton. Unfortunately, they both fall into the hydra’s dark abyss.  
       

Without a second thought, Apollyon lunges into the pit below to save Jena. As the others wait, hoping he’d bring Jena back alive, their prayers are soon answered. When Apollyon rises above the dark pit like the angel of death with Jena—now in her human form—cradled in his arms, everyone is relieved when they discover she’s still alive.

Now that Jena destroyed the creature, his brother Nicolas was fated to meet his death as well. But to everyone’s stunned disbelief and with God’s permission, the angel Lailah uses her powers to bring back the dead. In exchange for a mortal life to be with her beloved Roman, she gives Nicolas her immortality. While Ashton tells his brother good-bye, and that he will be taking Lailah’s place—helping the battle angels guard heaven’s gate—he reveals to Nicolas that God has also granted him a second chance at life. In the end, Jena will need Nicolas since she is his destiny.


Six months later . . .

Steven was about to wear a path in the floor, pacing back and forth outside of Abbey’s hospital room. He was going to go crazy. Around midnight, Abbey had gone into labor. When he got her to the hospital, the baby had repositioned its bottom toward the birth canal instead of the head. While doctors attempted to try to turn the baby, Abbey had a seizure. When intravenous medication did not stop it, her physicians decided to deliver the baby by C-section, which meant Abbey had to be put under sedation due to another uncontrollable circumstance. Abbey was a Lupa, and if she got upset or out of control, things could take a turn for the worse if she shifted. Not just for her, but for everyone else.

With the exception of a few members, most of the Breedline Covenant sat in the waiting room, looking at Steven with concern.

Lawrence and Tara was one of the couples not present. They had recently taken off to Maui for their honeymoon. After realizing they were destined to be together, they couldn’t wait to start their life together. Skipping the traditional ceremony, they decided on a courthouse wedding.

Although Tessa agreed to allow Sebastian Crow to reside in the Covenant’s guesthouse with Eve to raise their twin boys, they thought it best to keep a low profile and stay home considering the fact that Jace still wasn’t too thrilled over Tessa’s decision.

After the battle angels made sure the Salem Cemetery looked as it did before Lucifer’s five-headed hydra split through the earth, they said their final good-byes to Lailah and flew back to the “In-Between” to guard heaven’s gate.

Since Apollyon, Callisto, and Electra helped the Breedline battle against the creature, God granted them absolution and allowed the supernatural trio to remain on earth.

Now that Lailah was no longer a battle angel and God had granted her a mortal life, Roman had taken her on a little adventure. Losing her human life at such a young age, he wanted her to experience some of the things she’d missed out on. A trip to the Rocky Mountains was first on their list.

Bull had left with Angie two weeks ago for a romantic, long get-away, and they decided to invite Nicolas and Jena to go with them considering the two of them seemed to be getting close. All four of them were due for some downtime, especially Jena.    

Detective Manuel Sanchez and his partner, Detective Frank Perkins, were relieved to finally solve the mystery behind all the savage murders in the city thanks to Jena McCain. Now that the wolf was out of the bag, so to speak, and God had forgiven Nicolas Ratcliff, the two detectives agreed to keep his identity a secret and put the past behind them. Besides, crime never stood still, and they needed Nicolas’s help protecting the innocents from the dark forces that lurked in the shadows. After all, he is immortal and one helluva detective.  
              
Tessa was sitting across from her brother, holding Jem and Mia’s baby. Three months prior, Mia had given birth to the most adorable and healthy little girl, Eva Alexandria Chamberlain, although everyone called her Evie. They named her after Mia’s twin sister, Eve, and Jem and Jace’s biological father, Alexander. She had her mother’s bright crimson eyes and her father’s blonde hair. Evie was a perfect addition to the Breedline family. Tim and Angel’s daughter Natalie, along with the other children in the Covenant, adored having a new playmate. 

When Tessa noticed the panicked look in her brother’s eyes, she stood and handed the baby back to Mia and went over to Steven.   
    
He stopped to look at the clock on the wall. “What in the hell is taking so long,” Steven grumbled. “Why won’t they let me in there?”

Tessa touched his arm. “Everything is going to be fine, Steven. It’s not uncommon for mothers to be sedated during a cesarean section. In Abbey’s case, I’m sure it’s also a safety precaution considering she’s a Lupa.” 

Steven let out a long breath. “I know, I know. It’s just . . .”

“Abbey is in good hands,” Tessa said in a quiet voice. “Helen is an excellent physician, and Cassie is one of the best neonatal nurse practitioners in the city. I’m sure they will let you know something as soon as they can.”

Jace came over and placed his hand on Steven’s shoulder. “Listen, man, if it makes you feel any better, I know what you’re going through. I’ve been in your shoes once before. But don’t worry. If things start to take a turn for the worse, you can just heal her, right?”

Tessa gritted her teeth and looked at him wide-eyed. “You’re not making the situation any better, Jace.”

“Hey, look on the bright side,” Jace said, patting Steven on the shoulder. “At least Abbey’s not having twins.”

Tessa shot Jace another look that said without words to keep his mouth shut.

“Okay, okay,” Jace muttered, throwing his hands up in defeat. “Sorry. I was just trying to show some sympathy for the poor guy.” 

Seconds later, Kenneth walked in the waiting room and shot his daughter a worried look. Then his gaze rested on his son who looked like he’d been to hell and back.

“Abbey is going to be fine, son,” Kenneth said, placing both hands comfortingly on Steven’s shoulders. “She’s one tough young lady, and this is a cakewalk to her.” He squeezed Steven’s shoulders reassuringly before he lowered his hands. “Son, you must have faith. Abbey has been through far worse than childbirth.”

He nodded. “You’re right, Dad, but it’s just that I don’t want her going through this alone. I wanted to be there when our baby is born.”

Steven turned when he felt the weight of a large hand on his arm. When he saw Drakon standing next to him, he tilted his head up and looked into the eyes of a mountain of a man.

“Don’t worry, buddy,” Drakon said. “My Cassie will take excellent care of your girl.”

“I know. Thanks, Drakon.”

Suddenly, the door to Abbey’s room opened, and they all looked to Cassie as she stepped out. “Congratulations, Steven. You have a beautiful and healthy baby boy.”

Steven swallowed, his Adam’s apple visibly bobbing up and down in his throat. “How’s Abbey?”

“She’s doing just fine.” Cassie smiled and Steven heaved out a sigh of relief. “If you’d like, you can come in to see her and meet your son.” 

The biggest grin lit up Steven’s face as everyone gathered around to congratulate him.

Drakon gave him a pat on the back. “Congrats, buddy.”

Tessa wrapped her arm around him and whispered close to his ear, “Congratulations, Steven. I’m so happy for you and Abbey.”

Steven tugged Tessa snugly against him. “Thanks, sis.”

Cassie held the door open for Steven as he moved past her and ducked into Abbey’s room. His heart skipped a beat and his eyes shined with unshed tears when he got his first look at Abbey, sitting up in the bed, holding their baby.

As she turned toward him, her face melted with a glow of love. “Come meet our son.”

Steven pulled a chair close to Abbey’s bed and sat down. He took her hand and curled his fingers around hers. “Oh, my God, he’s . . . perfect,” he said, reaching out with his other hand to touch his son, but it shook so badly he had to stop mid-way in an effort to control the wave of emotion soaring through his entire body. When his hand finally calmed, he gently smoothed it over his son’s dark hair. It was so fine, so delicate, and soft to the touch.

The baby cooed and leaned into the warmth of his hand.

Steven moved forward and pressed his lips to his son’s forehead. “I love you, Jonah,” he whispered. “And I love your mama, too.”

Abbey exhaled, absorbing the sound of Steven saying their son’s name for the first time. Jonah was her father’s name, and she was glad they had chosen it.

“And I love his daddy,” she whispered back.

He looked up to see Abbey smiling, her face edged with exhaustion, but it also radiated with happiness. He moved closer to her and kissed her softly on the lips.

When he pulled away, she stared up into his teary green eyes and said, “Would you like to hold your son?”

Steven nodded, struggling to keep his emotions in. When he reached out to pick up the baby, a single fat tear dropped from his left eye, and then another fell from his right. He blinked them away and gently scooped the small bundle into his arms. Jonah settled instantly in his father’s hold. As Steven cradled their son, tucking him in close, his chest swelled with renewed purpose. Reality had just kicked in. He was a father. Then the word made his head tilt slightly. Father. That was something he’d never had until only recently. Then he wondered if he possessed the parental instincts to be a good father.

As Steven sat there, holding his son for the first time, he thought back to the rough period in his and Abbey’s lives. He’d never forget the day Dr. Hans Autenburg—the ruthless German scientist who stole him from his mother and Abbey from her family for the sole purpose of experimentation—and locked them together in a cell. They were just five years old. She was like a feral animal trapped in a cage. As they grew up, they fell in love. After years of relentless torture, they found a way to escape, but unfortunately, they ended up separated for years. Now, here they were, happily together again experiencing a miracle. The birth of their first child.   

Abbey had shown a lot of courage and trust. Starting her life over after what she went through took a lot of bravery and trust. Not only was Abbey his beloved, but she had also saved him from hell, and now, she was the mother of his child. God, he loved this woman.

He looked up at her, and when he saw Abbey staring at him with admiration in her gaze, his mouth twitched into a half-smile. “Thank you, sweetheart.”

She slowly shook her head. “For what, honey?”

“For making me the happiest man on earth.”

Abbey smiled. “I love you so much, Steven.”

“And I love you, Mary Abigail,” he murmured, using her birth name.

“Can you keep a secret?” she said.

“Of course.”

“Cassie is pregnant.”

Steven’s eyes rounded. “Drakon’s Cassie?”

“Yep.”

His eyes softened. “That’s great. Does he know?”

Abbey grinned and shook her head. “Not yet. That’s why it’s a secret.”

“Oh.” He cocked a brow. “Mum’s the word. Although, when Drakon gets the news, I’m sure he’ll be thrilled to know he’s going to be a father. I sure as hell was.”  

The baby squirmed in Steven’s grasp and let out a little whining demand.

“I think he wants something only his mother can provide,” Steven said, shifting the baby in his arms as he rose to his feet.

“Come here, little Jonah,” she said, reaching out for the baby.

As Steven made the handoff, he leaned down and kissed Abbey, his lips lingering on hers for a moment.

Jonah let out a happy coo when his mother cradled him against her breast, already acknowledging he was about to be fed.

“He definitely knows what’s good,” Steven said around a light chuckle.

Abbey’s eyebrows lifted. “He takes after his father.”

“You got that right,” he shot back.

As Steven eased back into the chair, taking in the most beautiful sight, his beloved nourishing their child, he wanted to lock this image into his memory forever. He would thank God every day for giving him a second chance at a happy family. He knew Abbey still fought her demons from the past, as he did, but they’d get there. As long as they had each other, they could conquer anything. True love could do amazing things. 

Never the end. Only continued until the next story . . .

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense their twin's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have a book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the Breedline council. Punishment for taking another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will instantly shift into a rogue wolf for life and shunned by the Breedline Covenants.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with the genetics of a Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. After he kidnapped Sonya Hothburn for her genetics of a full-blooded succubus, he forced her into surrogacy. When the children were born, he forbid Sonya to see her children.
Their purpose was to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first-born Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek grew up with the strength of ten men, and possessed the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf and a vampire-like hybrid. He oddly resembles the actor Jason Momoa. The second born, Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful,' due to her stunning features, developed the power to form a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. Electra, meaning 'the shining one' was last to be born. With a physique of a body builder, and eyes that glow like diamonds, she has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber, until their mother discovered their whereabouts and set them free. After the battle angels rendered the supernatural trio powerless and took them into their custody to the heavens, God released their bloodlust and promised them absolution in exchange for their allegiance. If they took an oath to protect humans and fight alongside the Breedline against the dark forces, they could remain on earth.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in the war against demons and evil havoc on earth. The battle angels are unlike any of the Creator's angels. The indigenous battle angels, on average, stand ten-feet-tall. Although, a few tower to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. Tattooed with unique warrior markings, the black-winged warriors are suited with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wield a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission, and are perfectly willing to give their life in the service of righteousness. Gifted with special powers, they fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them, and they are immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA (she-wolf) - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, but the moon has no power over them. The species only effects female offspring. A lupa is a dangerous creature of which shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.