General Fiction posted February 3, 2020 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Monica makes her escape

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 16

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself. A series of murders lead the police to suspect Monica may be a serial killer.
Rob sped to Sarah's bakery, his lights flashing and siren on. His heart pounded and his palms sweat as he gripped the wheel. He was in constant contact with his Lieutenant who was closer to the scene.

"Martin, are you there yet? Who was shot? Please tell me it wasn't Sarah."

"Boss, I'm not there yet. Just hold tight. I'm about a block away... Okay, I'm here."

Rob swallowed hard and pressed his foot down on the accelerator. He came to a screeching halt outside the bakery. His car was barely in park before he had his door open and was jumping out.

An ambulance sat in front of the bakery with the back doors open. The attendants were loading someone on a gurney into the back. Rob saw Sarah and ran to her, wrapping his arms around her.

"I was so scared!"

He held her as she cried. "Monica shot Nadine!"

"You saw her?"

"No, but who else would it be? She must have thought Nadine was me. You have to find her."

Rob's radio crackled to life. "Hey, boss. One of the men found Monica's Jag. It's down here behind the Dollar General."

"I'll be right there." He turned to Sarah. "You go to the hospital with Nadine. I'll come as soon as I can."

Sarah got into the back of the waiting ambulance and it sped away as soon as the doors closed.

Sarah held her cousin's hand. "Hang on Nadine."

****

"A worker saw a woman get into a black Uber-SUV. She had luggage," Martin told Rob when he arrived. 

"She has to be on her way to the airport. Call ahead, tell them we're on our way and to look up what flight Monica Landers is on. Tell Airport Security to hold her. Let's go." Rob and Martin ran to his squad car, Rob burning rubber as he raced to the airport.

"Looks like we're too late. She was booked on a flight to Paris, it left ten minutes ago."

Rob slowed the car and turned off the lights. There was no need to hurry now.

"Find out where the first layover is. Maybe we can get the authorities there to detain her."

****

Monica breathed a sign of relief once the plane was safely in the air. She had a window seat and ignored the other passengers in her row as she looked out, a smug smile on her lips. She was imagining Rob, heartbroken when he heard his wife was dead. He deserved it.

"He should have loved me and not Sarah."

Monica put in ear buds from her phone and played her favorite music. Soon her eyes grew heavy and she fell asleep.

***

Rob and Martin stopped by the hospital on the way back to the Sheriff's Station. Martin stayed in the waiting room making and answering calls. Rob was directed to the family waiting area where he found Sarah pacing in front of a row of chairs.

"How is she?" He asked after hugging Sarah.

"I'm not sure. She's in surgery and no one has updated me yet. The EMTs seemed to think she would make it. Her vitals were good on the way over. They got her into surgery right away. What about Monica? You didn't catch her did you?" What little hope she had died at seeing the look on Rob's face.

Rob walked Sarah to a chair and sat beside her. "No. She is on a plane on her way to France. Martin is working on contacting the airport at her layover to see if they will take her into custody, but I'm not counting on it. I will take extradition paperwork to get her back here and that's if we can find her. I don't doubt with the money she has, she can hide for a long time."

"It is amazing what a person is capable of and how long they can get away with it. One day it will catch up with her. You can't live like that and not pay for it one day."

"Sarah Mitchell?" A nurse is surgery scrubs walked over to her.

"Yes."

"Just want you to know your cousin is out of surgery. She is fortunate she was wearing that heavy coat. It absorbed a lot of the bullet's impact and stopped it from reaching her heart. She is going to be very sore for a few days, but if all goes well she should be home in less than a week."

*****
Monica deplaned and slipped into the restroom and into a stall. Taking a blond wig from her carry on bag she put it on with a pair of glasses. She checked herself in the mirror and marveled at how much a pair of glasses could change your looks.

"Well, look at Clark Kent. No one knew he was Superman. Idiots."

Looking around to make sure no security guards appeared to be searching for her, she went to the ticket line and waited her turn.

"I'd like a ticket to Rio please."

After purchasing her ticket she retrieved her luggage from the baggage claim.

Once the plane was airborne, Monica ordered a drink to calm her nerves.

"Let me get that," the man in the seat next to her offered.

Monica smiled and nodded her thanks. He was older than her, with salt and pepper hair, but very handsome.

'Is this your first trip to Rio?" he asked. He was sure it wasn't, but wanted to make conversation. "Rio needs more beautiful women. We can never have enough. My name is David. I have lived in Rio all my life. If you need a tour guide I am at your service." He smiled at her over his drink. "I fly and have my own plane. I'd love to take you up. The view from above is breathtaking."

"Catherine Roberts. Nice to meet you David. I think I just might take you up on your offer as tour guide."

****

A week had passed since the shooting and Nadine had been discharged and was healing nicely. She had a few bad dreams, but with the help of friends and family was working through the trauma.

"I'm so sorry. I just never thought Monica would do something like that. I should have known better." Sarah felt responsible for almost getting her cousin killed, but Nadine wouldn't hear of it.

"It's not your fault. How could you know?"

"She's crazy. I should have been more careful."

"What could we do? Wear bullet proof vests all the time?

"That's not such a bad idea." Rob sat down beside Sarah. "We have no idea where she is. There is no record of her ever getting off the plane in France. We think she must have a second passport and took a flight to who knows where after landing in Dublin. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm pretty sure she won't come back here, but I'd sure like to know where she is."

***

Monica and David flew towards Corcovado, the landmark mountain just west of the city of Rio . They had taken off from David's private airstrip on his property. The view was breathtaking.

Monica had taken over the controls with David's permission. She had gotten her pilots license while still in college and had mastered the controls of most small aircraft.

"This is a beautiful plane."

"I've had it only a month. I haven't had a chance to register it yet, so shouldn't be flying, but just a short trip won't hurt."

"Oh, it might, but just for a minute." Monica, pulled a knife from her handbag and with lightening fast reflexes, stabbed David. The thin, razor sharp blade sliced easily through his chest into his heart. A shocked look was his only reaction before he died. 

"Now, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

Flying low, so the plane was hidden by the surrounding trees, Monica opened David's door and pushed him out. She watched as he bounced off the side of the mountain and into the sea.

"It was so nice meeting you David," she smirked. As she pulled the plane up it passed the statue of Christ the Redeemer. Monica saluted it and pointed the plane towards Manaus.

"After all, it is the Paris of the tropics," she said with a laugh.

The End. (or is it?)




Monica Landers-a spoiled narcissist obsessed with Rob.
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband-Monica is pursuing him.
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Martin Robinson - Sheriff's Lieutenant.
Nadine-Sarah's cousin and employee at the bakery
David-passenger Monica meets on the plane.

Manaus, located on the banks of the Negro River in northwestern Brazil, is the capital of the vast state of Amazonas. It's a major departure point for the surrounding Amazon Rainforest. Rubber helped earn it the nickname of the "Paris of the tropics". I have no idea why and there was no explanation.

Well that's it. I know everyone wanted Monica caught or killed, but we don't always get what we want. I almost killed her off, but I might need her again so decided to leave her alive and on the run.

Thank you to all who hung in there and read to the end. I really appreciate all the helps and reviews.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.