General Fiction posted February 2, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A story of loud confusion

I Hear Ya

by Brian Taylor1


So I'll be over at 8.

At 8?

Yes...8

Sorry.

Third time Jane...Third time with a half-deaf dudette on the line...Are you...

I didn't hear ya. I have the TV on.

Of coarse ya do.

It's the news.

Please...please, I just ate. Let me guess. The news, that is a horror movie, and gets you to double lock your doors even if the 5 tragedies that they show are 3 counties away in any direction and not the one your in.

What did you say? Their talkin' about a house fire in Braintree.

Thirty miles away Jane, make sure the oven's off...Is the volume higher then 20?

What?

Is the volume higher then 20?

Hold on, let me turn it down.

The volume and my I.Q. just slowly dipped below freezing.

There, it's down. What time are you comin' over?

8...8 O'CLOCK JANE!

You don't have to yell Jack.

Are you sleeping with those ear plugs in again?

Yes. I told you that the elevator in this building is to loud. I can't hear my own dreams
.
Wow...When God made you Jane he said that's it, I've peaked. I need some wine, or blood for that matter.

What?

Nothing...You drift off into one of the biggest mysteries known to humankind, sleep. And what do you do? Cut off the potential rage causing sounds of a broken elevator.

So.

So? When you rage, you write better. How's the book comin'?

I hit a block.

That's because when you wake up, every sound is super-sized, and you need to one up it by yelling and turning up the volume on your TV...That's never off.

Hold on Jack, the news is showing a story about a missing dog.

It's probably your neighbors dog, Elvis, who can't stand his neighbors TV volume and he's lookin' for a pair of blue suede shoes to step on.

Oh, I love that song.

Jane your starting to talk very loud.

Sorry.

Point is Jane...YOUR TV'S TOO LOUD. IT'S EFFECTING YOUR EARS!
You know Jack, you really should stop yelling. You could puncture your ear drums.

...What?

Real funny. Making fun of me 'cause I watch loud TV.

Jane, I...

Hold on...The news has a story on stolen cars...I gotta go Jack. I don't think I locked my car doors...What time are you comin' over again?

JANE, I...I CAN'T HEAR YOU! SPEAK UP, WILL YA!

I HEAR YA JACK!...Loud and clear. Real mature... Now I'll see you at 9. I have to go check my car.

JANE!...JANE!








Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry


Jack and Jane are obviously in love.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by simonka at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brian Taylor1 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brian Taylor1 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.