Supernatural Fiction posted February 1, 2020 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

LIVE or let DIE

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for reading my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in underground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will become the thing that has cursed her.  
  

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take go back to earth—with the help of her comrades-at-arms—for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature.

While Jena heals in the hospital, her thirst for blood rises. Desperate for help, she confides in her best friend Angie, realizing time is running out. Surprisingly, Angie has a few secrets of her own. What she reveals to Jena goes beyond unbelievable. Not only is Angie not human—born with the ability to shift into a wolf—there is a secret species of supernatural beings called the Breedline.

Now that Jena’s reality has slowly shifted into a bizarre realm, she must come to accept the unbelievable and trust her friend before it’s too late. As the bond between the two friends become closer than ever, Angie promises Jena she will do everything she can to help her. Left with no other choice, Angie decides to reach out to the Breedline Covenant for help. But unknown to all, the immortal creature will stop at nothing until he gets what he wants—to seduce Jena and make her his bride.

Meanwhile, as Angie has Jena moved to the safety of the Breedline Covenant, the creature manages to seduce Jena, and tricks her into drinking her own blood. Now that the curse is set into motion, Jena is doomed to become what she fought so hard to resist . . . a bloodthirsty killer. Just when Jena begins to feel as though she has lost all hope, someone mysteriously leaves a journal in her bedroom. Soon after, she discovers it’s a memoir from the 1800s and belongs to a Nicolas Ratcliff. As Jena continues to read on, she finds herself drawn to this mysterious person and that he is the creature’s younger brother. When she finishes reading the last entry, there is a note addressed to her. Nicolas asks Jena to come alone to the Salem Cemetery at dusk to help him end his brother’s curse and save a young girl that his brother holds captive. 
         

Regrettably, Jena must face her worst fears. Now that she had weakened to the creature, she had to confess the bad news to her best friend and to the Covenant, not to mention Nicolas’s journal.  While the Breedline Covenant process Jena’s dilemma, the battle angels are to arrive at dusk to help Jena destroy the creature.

While the Breedline prepares for the battle angel’s arrival, they unexpectedly discover Jena has shifted into her creature and somehow made it past the Covenant’s security. When Tessa and Angie search Jena’s room, desperate to find out why she took off and where she went, they find a note hidden under her mattress. After reading it, they are completely shocked to find out Jena is heading to the Salem Cemetery to help Nicolas Ratcliff destroy the creature. Before the angels arrive at dusk, they gather everyone in a meeting. When the battle angels and the Fury arrive, the Breedline tell them about Jena’s disappearance. While they discuss their plan, Bull notices Angie is missing and senses she is in distress. Without further delay, they form a plan—sending Jace’s beast ahead of everyone—to help Jena and Angie destroy the creature.

Now that Ashton discovers his brother Nicolas and Jena’s plan to destroy him, he reveals a disturbing secret unknown to all. Not only is Jena a Necromancer, explaining her ability to speak with the dead, she is also a descendant of Isabella and the daughter of Lucifer.
Completely devastated, Jena refuses to believe him. Just when she feels all hope is lost, Nicolas appears out of nowhere and vows to protect her. When Nicolas threatens his brother’s life, Ashton reveals to him that if he dies, so will he.

As the confrontation between the two brothers heats up, Ashton attacks Nicolas and renders him unconscious. As Ashton attempts to take Jena against her will, he’s caught off guard by Angie’s Breedline wolf. Although her wolf is no match for Ashton’s creature, she doesn’t give up the fight and continues to do everything in her power to protect Jena.

When Ashton overpowers Angie, gripping her by the throat, Jena helplessly watches her best friend fight for her life, begging him to let her go. Caught off guard, Ashton finds himself in a hairy predicament when Jace’s beast, the battle angels and many other supernatural beings comes to Angie’s rescue.

While the heroic team of supernatural beings believe they have Ashton’s creature overpowered, a five-headed hydra emerges from beneath the ground, bringing forth a blazing fire. Using their mighty swords, the battles angels destroy the hydra, and in turn, set Jena free of Ashton’s binding spell. Using her inner strength, Jena summons her own creature and attacks Ashton. Unfortunately, they both fall into the hydra’s dark abyss. 
         

Continued . . .

When everyone rushed to the edge and looked into the pit, it was too far down and dark to tell if Jena was dead or alive. With her ears flattened to her head, Angie’s Breedline wolf whimpered as she peered into the huge opening, praying Jena survived the fall. Bull stood next to her, overjoyed that his beloved was alive and regretful that her best friend’s fate hung in limbo. 
 
As if it was instinctive for him to do, Apollyon expanded his wings and before he stepped off the edge and plunged into the dark hole, Electra called out, “Brother, no!”

A moment beyond that, as the others watched in stunned silence, Apollyon was gone, disappearing into the darkness below. Electra’s heart pounded when she lost sight of him completely. In the back of her mind, she was shocked that her brother had thrown himself into the pit without a second thought, unaware of what dangers lie beneath, to risk his life for a stranger. Her eyes closed on a shuddering, deep breath, fearing she’d lost him forever. 

Then Electra’s eyelids lifted slowly and her gaze riveted to her sister Callisto, who paced with restless energy, worried that their brother would not return.

“Electra—” Cronus set his hand on her shoulder.

The warm weight of his hand brought her head up. As Electra looked upon the giant-winged angel, the optimistic expression in his grey eyes gave her hope. 

“Have faith,” Cronus told her. “Your brother is iron-willed.” 

“Not to mention,” Frigg chimed in, “stubborn as a damn mule.” 

Callisto stopped pacing and glared at the battle angels. “Why are you just standing around?” Although her voice didn’t rise, the firmness and urgency in it were unmistakable. “You’re angels for Pete’s sake. Can’t you do something to save them?” 
 
“We cannot intervene,” Lailah said to Callisto. “Your brother must save Jena. It’s God’s will.”

“Oh, screw G—”

“Look,” Roman cut Callisto off before she could finish her derogatory statement. “I think I see someone.” His words were uttered in a tone so guttural it took Callisto a moment to figure out what he’d said. Roman had shifted into his Adalwolf, which changed the pitch of his voice.

Electra sank to her knees beside Callisto, who was looking over the edge of the opening, her eyes frantically searching for Apollyon. Electra reached out, wanting to comfort her sister, but her hand froze mid-way when Apollyon miraculously appeared. With the agility and strength of his enormous bat-like wings, he rose above the ground like the angel of death. He had ahold of Jena, who was now in her human form, limp and naked.

“Apollyon—” Callisto wiped at her eyes as tears fell from the corners. “Thank God!”

“Ohhh,” Frigg said with a smirk, rolling his eyes, “now she thanks Him.”

The instant Apollyon’s feet touched down, he crouched low and gently lowered Jena on the ground. He looked to everyone that crowded close and said, “She took a hard fall, but she’s alive.”

Bull quickly shrugged off his T-shirt and bent down next to Jena. As he positioned it over her head, he carefully drew each arm through the sleeves and tugged it all the way past her hips so that it covered most of her exposed skin. The XXL tee fit more like a dress on Jena than it did a shirt.

When Angie’s wolf nudged Bull’s arm and whimpered, he soothed her state of mind by smoothing his hand between her lupine ears. “Don’t worry, sweetheart,” he whispered softly. “Jena is going to be just fine.”  

“What about the creature?” Jem asked, looking at Apollyon as he rose to his feet. “Is it dead?”

“I don’t know.” Apollyon regretfully shrugged. “It was gone when I found Jena.”

“Jena was successful,” said Cronus, drawing their attention. “The creature is destroyed.”

“What in the hell was that thing that came out of the ground?” Roman asked, now in his human form.

“A demon Hydra from hell,” Icarus pointed out. “It was summoned by Lucifer.”

“How was it connected to the creature?”

“Lucifer created the creature,” Icarus told Roman. “All of his dark creations are bound to him. Destroying it was the only way to sever the connection between the creature and Jena. We were brought to earth by our Creator for this task.”

“So all this time, you knew it was coming?”

Icarus nodded. “Yes, Roman. We were prepared for the Hydra.”

“How are we going to explain all this,” Roman pointed to all destruction and chaos in the cemetery, “to everyone else?”

“It’s already taken care of,” Cronus replied. “Everything you and I can see is not visible to the human eye, although we have made a few exceptions,” he pointed out as Detective Manuel Sanchez and his partner, Detective Frank Perkins rushed over.

“What in the Sam Hill happened here?” said Manuel, looking at the huge crater in the ground and the decapitated Hydra. “And please tell me that thing is dead.”  

Cronus placed his hand on Manuel’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, Detective. It’s dead.”

Frank shook his head and asked, “How are we going to get rid of it before. . .” His voice trailed off just as the Hydra’s remains began to turn to ashes.

“Okay, that explains my question,” said Frank, “but how are you going to explain that damn hole in the ground?” 
  
“Calm down, Detective,” Frigg replied, smirking at Frank. “We’re angels for crying-out-loud. I’m sure we can handle it.”

Cronus cleared his throat, glaring at Frigg with a disapproving look. “I understand that you and your partner found the girl in the crypt,” he said to Frank, changing the subject.

Frank nodded. “Ms. Debi Flynn is alive and safe. Lawrence and Tessa just left with her,” he explained. “We figured it would be best considering the circumstances to avoid a hospital, so they took her to the Covenant instead. I know she’ll be in good hands with Dr. Helen Carrington.”  

“I agree,” Cronus replied. “We’ll see that her memory of anything supernatural is erased.”
           
“What about the creature’s brother, Nicolas?” asked Jem as he averted his eyes away from the angels and looked to where Nicolas lay. Jem stood motionless, surprised at what he saw, and so was everyone else, especially the two detectives.

Manuel shook his head slowly, from side to side. “What the—” he sucked in a breath.

Lailah was cradling Nicolas in her arms, her giant wings wrapped around his limp body, and she was glowing.

Jem turned to Cronus, but before he could get a word out, Manuel said, “What is my sister . . . doing?”  
  
There was a long, long silence. “Lailah is,” Cronus hesitated, and then finally said, “giving up her immortality to give Nicolas life.”

Manuel looked as if he’d been slapped. “What?” His voice rose. “Why?” 
      
Cronus took a quick, shallow breath. “It’s what she’s chosen, and our Creator has granted her a mortal life.”

As the other angels gathered around, Manuel could see the beginning of sorrow in their eyes as well as Cronus’s. It was as if they were losing someone close to them.

“Why would she choose this?” Frank asked.

“To be with the Adalwolf,” Frigg said, narrowing his pale blue eyes at Roman.

Jem widened his eyes at the bleached, spiked-haired angel. “Are you saying she wants to be with,” he paused to look at someone he’d only known for a short while, but still, considered him part of the Breedline family. “Roman?” he finally said, his eyes darting away from Roman—who appeared frozen in place—and back to Frigg.

Frigg nodded, focusing on Jem. “They’ve bonded,” he sighed, gazing away from Jem to where Lailah was healing Nicolas.

To be continued . . .

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them, and they are immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electric energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization. He resides in the California Breedline Covenant along with team members, Lawrence, Bull, Justice and Lena.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops Team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.

Bull (a.k.a. Benjamin Allen Calvero) - He is a Breedline, highly trained and an expert in a variety of military tactics who is part of Roman Kincaid's team. He gets his nickname because of his size.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah was murdered, and never solved. Consumed by Lailah's death, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement hoping someday he will catch her killer and bring justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective -he discovers he is not entirely human, and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with the genetics of a Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. After he kidnapped Sonya Hothburn for her genetics of a full-blooded succubus, he forced her into surrogacy. When the children were born, he forbid Sonya to see her children.
Their purpose was to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first-born Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek grew up with the strength of ten men, and possessed the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf and a vampire-like hybrid. The second born, Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful,' developed the power to form a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. Electra, meaning 'the shining one' was last to be born. She has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber, until their mother discovered their whereabouts and set them free.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in the war against demons and evil havoc on earth. The battle angels are unlike any of the Creator's angels. The indigenous battle angels, on average, stand ten-feet-tall. Although, a few tower to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. Tattooed with unique warrior markings, the black-winged warriors are suited with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wield a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission, and are perfectly willing to give their life in the service of righteousness. Gifted with special powers, they fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

Cronus - He is a loyal and devoted warrior in charge of God's battle angels. He wields the power of the sword of truth and has the ability to use his body as a shield. His mission is to protect the heavens and all God's creations.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. Although her killer got away with the crime, her younger brother, Detective Manuel Sanchez, promises to dedicate his life trying to solve the murder.

Helios - He is a battle angel and a descendant of an African king. When God brought him into the group, he converted Helios's body into a lethal weapon. The tips of his feathers are sharp as knives, and he has talons capable of shredding through skin and bone. Although he was born without vocal cords, he can communicate using his mind.

Icarus - He is a gorgeous battle angel gifted with the power of telekinesis. He can influence, manipulate, and move matter using his mind.

Frigg - He is one of God's originals, serving as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, a bit of an attitude, and a love for rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers, and classic black-and-white classic movies. He has the ability to shape-shift into any living thing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.