Romance Fiction posted February 1, 2020 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The awakening.

A chapter in the book Joined at the Hip

First Kiss!

by Commando


Dedicated to Cecile Waldron (Cathy's Mother)






Greetings, Friends!
Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando) co-author this book. Our wish is to make you laugh and cry, then leave you in a state of uncertainty as to what will happen next. We invite you to follow along with us and shall appreciate your feedback and recommendations for improvement. As always, thank you for reading our work and best wishes wherever you are.



~About the Authors~
*Cathy Waldron*

 
Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) is a native of New Hampshire and grew up in a small central town near Lake Winnipesaukee.  She is the youngest of three children; and, her dad left the family when she was five.  As a teenager, she became aware that she had two younger half-sisters.  Once graduating from high school in 1978, Cathy continued her education. She is presently enrolled at the Southern NH University in pursuit of a BA in Creative Writing/English.  She is a fiction author, former newspaper reporter, columnist, photographer, and real estate/business broker.  Her debut novel, "In Polyester Pajamas'," was published in June of 2012, and won the NH Writers' Project 2013/2014 Readers' Choice Award for outstanding work in fiction.  Her second novel, "In Woolen Bikinis," was published in 2013, and her third, "In Leather Chaps" was released in 2015.  Cathy is as well, the author of the "Christmas Novella Music Memories Love," published in 2016.  In addition to all the rest, she is the owner of a NH publishing company, "Give a Salute!"  She is proud to say, "I am co-authoring this book, and (1) An Angel in the Meadow, (2) Love Long Distance, (3) My Jigsaw Puzzle, The Missing Piece, and (4) Footprints of Yesterday" with Bill Bishop.
 
*Bill Bishop*
 
Bill Bishop (aka Commando) spent the earlier years of his life with his mother, grandma and grandpa in a little log cabin in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee at Pigeon Forge.  His father, a Green Beret was killed in Korea in 1955, the year Bill was born . . . he never knew him.  After high school in 1975, then Law School in 1980, Bill entered the U.S. Air Force to become the first leader of a "Joint Services Special Forces Team," which was inspired by his cousin, an Army Green Beret who fought and died in Vietnam.  Serving in "Operation Desert Storm (Iraq) in 1990-1991, and with 30 years of active military duty, both stateside and overseas, Bill relocated to the Panhandle of Florida in 2010 and began working with (1) Joint Services Commando Advisory Operation in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Turkey, (2) American Legion, Disabled American Veterans Organizations, both local and national, and (3) St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.  Bill is presently co-authoring this book, and (1) An Angel in the Meadow, (2) Love Long Distance, (3) My Jigsaw Puzzle, The Missing Piece, and (4) Footprints of Yesterday with Cathy Waldron.
 

~Characters~
Bill Bishop (Plays himself)...................Co-Author
Cathy Waldron (Plays herself)..............Co-Autho
Shirley Bishop....................................Bill's Mother
Luther Burkeens..............................Bill's Grandpa
Maggie Burkeens...........................Bill's Grandma
Bob Waldron...................................Cathy's Father
Cecile Waldron.............................Cathy's Mother
Emma Lessaid...........................Cathy's Grandma
Mrs. Cooper................................................Teacher
Country Doctor....................................Doc. Smith
Taylor............................................County Sherriff


~Special note~
Some words are written in a way that are appropriate for Smoky Mountain folks; yet, are not always grammatically correct. Characters will reflect earlier scenes in their lives and talk with the readers at times. Wider spaces between words are due to the use of fully justified formatting.
 
~Chapter 1~
 
There were times when food was scarce on our table. Some days we ate leftovers from supper for breakfast. My mother and grandma managed food wisely--all things considered. I remember well Grandma saying, "Now, Billy, what you don't eat, I'll put back on ice."
*******
I did my chores at the crack of dawn, grabbed my lunchbox and was off to school. Walking along the old dirt road, I stopped in front of Mr. Waldron's home, and saw him sitting on the front porch near the road. He saw me too, waved, then remarked, "Billy, would you escort Cathy to school this morning?"  I looked at her and smiled; she looked at me then winked.  She was the most beautiful fourteen-year-old girl in my world. Cathy was well read and knowledgeable beyond her years. Mr. Waldron had been aware of our walking to "Youth Night" at church on Wednesday's for a couple of months now. She had told him a heap about me, and I slowly became her hero.

"Billy, did you know that Cathy  is smitten with you?" 

"Aww! As Grandpa would say, 'It's all in a day's work', Sir!  Now, to answer your question. . . I'd be honored to escort Cathy to school, Mr. Waldron.''

I glanced at Cathy; she blushed as we headed down the road.

"Beautiful smile and starting to bud out as well," I thought as we walked hand-in-hand together. It was just last year that Grandpa had predicted a pretty girl would come into my life when I was eleven years old. "Thank you, Grandpa, for being right," I whispered.  The word "escort" kept running through my mind. So, why not impress Cathy with big words? After my theatrics, I felt as though I really was a hero. At times when I was alone with girls my age, I was shy and retiring. Just then, a red wasp flew into Cathy's blond hair.

"Hurry, Bill--get it out!"

I gently brushed the wasp from her hair, reached down touched her face, kissed her lips, then whispered, "Our first kiss, Beautiful!"

Cathy quickly slapped my face, backed away, then asked, "What are you trying to do, Handsome?"

After fumbling for an explanation. . . and making a fool of myself, I finally answered, "I'm sorry, Cathy!"

"Oh, my goodness! Don't be sorry, Bill, 'cause I kinda liked it."

Once having a good laugh, we joined hands and headed on to school.

We arrived just after the last bell rang, the door was closed, and class had already started. Mrs. Cooper had a policy that discouraged repeat offenders from being late for class. Her procedures were to knock three times on the door, enter the classroom, identify yourself, explain why you were late, then apologize to your classmates for interrupting their study. Regardless of the formality, it was quite embarrassing for me, especially with Cathy on my arm. Although we shared the blame for being late, I was the one who knocked and apologized--ouch!

"Bill, tell your momma about being late this morning. . . and why, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am Mrs. Cooper!"

"You may tell her, as well, that you have satisfied my policy on making amends."

"Oh, I promise to tell her that right off. . . and thank you, Ma'am."

I walked with Cathy home that day.  Along the way, I tried hard to maintain my composure. I asked her, "Please, don't tell your father that I kissed you, okay? It's just that I couldn't help myself, 'cause you are so beautiful.  Then of course, as Grandpa would say, 'The devil made me do it!'  May I continue to walk with you to school, Beautiful?"

"Of course, Handsome, 'cause I want bunches more of your kisses.  Now, don't tell anyone I said that, or they'll think I'm a bit promiscuous."

"Shame on you for your thoughts; yet, do you really think that I'm handsome? Guess I better tell you now, I'm flirty, flamboyant and histrionic--just like Grandpa."

"Oh, you don't say!  There's a doctor in town who looks inside the head of people with a flirty disorder. I think you should make an appointment and talk with him."

"Oh, I've already talked to him! The only thing he said was, 'Why me, God? Now, get 'em outta my office, Nurse!'"

Mr. Waldron jumped from his chair on the front porch, ran down the steps, then gave Cathy a big hug as we walked up. The day had gone well; and, our first kiss was history. Although, I was a bit crestfallen because of our being late for class. Hopefully, tomorrow would be a better day, and I could flaunt my macho image once again.

 
*******
 
I finished my chores, then ate more than my share of Grandma's fried chicken for supper. Afterwards, I went to my bedroom, lit the lamp, did my homework, and said goodnight to all. I quickly pulled down the cover on the bed, jumped in, felt something rough and cold against my leg, then felt the rattlesnake sink its fangs into my foot. "Oh, my God! Please help me, 'cause I'm too young to die!" I screamed!
 
Geez! Will Bill die? Chapter 2 is just around the bend.
Please join us and find out. Thanks for reading
our work and for your continued support. Best wishes and
God Bless.
Respectfully,
Bill (Commando) & Cathy (Tootie)



Recognized


A "Salute," Friends! Thanks for taking time to read our work! Cathy and I ask for your continued support and suggestions for improvement. Your thoughts matter to us. Hug's to Cathy for choosing me as her co-author and designing the astonishing book cover. Best wishes wherever you are and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy and Bill.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.