General Fiction posted January 27, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An all dialoue story about, you guessed it: dialoguing.

What did you hear?

by Jerome Goldberg


"Jake, I am telling you that you are losing money because your staff just do not listen!
Customers want to be heard and want to feel that you care!"


"I hear you but I don't agree, in fact I think that you're not worth the big bucks people pay you for your 'hotsy-totsy' advice. Give me a real example! Just one darn example."


"OK -- yesterday I walked into one of your delis and told the server that I was in a hurry, no menu just bring me a tuna salad sandwich on rye toast and coffee, cream no sugar.

And he said what kind of sandwich?

And I said a TUNA SALAD sandwich on rye toast and coffee, cream no sugar.

And then he said Rye or White?

And I said a tuna salad sandwich on RYE TOAST and coffee, cream no sugar.

And he said do you want it toasted?

And I said a tuna salad sandwich on rye TOAST and coffee, cream no sugar.

And he said would you like something to drink

And I said a tuna salad sandwich on rye toast and COFFEE, CREAM, NO SUGAR."

And he said cream or sugar?

And I said a tuna salad sandwich on rye toast and coffee, CREAM, NO SUGAR.

And then he brought me a chicken salad sandwich on a hard role with coffee -- both cream and sugar on the side.

Because I was in a hurry, I did not complain. But, I doubt that I have any desire to ever go back."


"So one incompetent waiter. Big Deal!

"But, that one server is your interface to the world! The customer does not know you. The only one he knows is the server. Because of him you might have lost a customer.

Think about what might have happened if he had listened and really HEARD! Instead of turning away a potential customer he could have both recruited a new regular customer and made an up-sale.

What if he had said, I understand that you are in a hurry and I will expedite your order of a tuna salad sandwich on rye toast and coffee, cream, no sugar. Now while you are waiting would you like a hot cup of soup? The soup would have increased the bill by thirty percent."


"OK. You have a point."


"You bet I I do!

Jake, poor communications cause major problems in sales, in personal relationships and even in international relationships. Sometimes, all you have to do is listen. But, I mean actively listen and give the customer feedback that you heard and understood what they said."


"Yea, Yea! What did you say? Just kidding!

Let me take you back to that deli for a hot pastrami sandwich with French Fries and Onion Rings and even maybe a slice of New York Chess cake."


"Sold! But what no coffee, cream, no sugar?"



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry


Hope you enjoyed this all dialogue story that is based on real life experiences.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jerome Goldberg All rights reserved.
Jerome Goldberg has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.