Fantasy Fiction posted January 26, 2020 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Conquest

A chapter in the book The Piper

The Piper, part 32

by w.j.debi


Previously
Piper is a young musician whose grandfather has passed away, leaving Piper an orphan to be raised by the music guild where he is an apprentice. After the funeral, Piper returns alone to play his flute at his grandfather's grave, and a Fae appears--a creature considered swift, strong and deadly--and compliments Piper's flute playing. Captain Burkehart comes to the rescue and escorts Piper back to the castle. During the next few weeks the Fae (Redd-Leif Summerstorm) approaches Piper on several occasions and says he has some secrets he needs to share, but each time they are interrupted by a vigilant Captain Burkehart. Meanwhile, Piper continues his musical education under the direction of the popular performer Master Braun, including traveling with a performing troupe. A wolf attack leaves Piper separated from the musicians and in the hands of Redd-Leif Summerstorm who tells Piper he is half-elven and Piper's elven mother (Melodica) is alive and wants to see him. Redd-Leif then leads Piper into the faerie realm.


End of Previous Chapter
Master Crescendo placed his chin in his hand and thought for a moment. "What I'd like to do," he finally said, "is head to my cottage and have you demonstrate what you know about composition and transcription. Perhaps, as you mentioned, you could commit what you were playing just now to paper and transcribe it for several instruments."


Piper grinned. "I would like that, sir."

"Excellent. I like your eagerness." Master Crescendo stood and clapped Piper on the back. "Let's get going. I'd also like to introduce you to some winged friends of mine."

Piper's eyes grew wide. "Faeries?"

Master Crescendo chuckled. "Something even better. Bees."



Chapter 32
Captain Burkehart dipped his cupped hand into the stream and bent forward to gulp the water before it drained away between his fingers. The iciness of it made his hand sting, but felt good in his mouth and throat. He repeated the process until he quenched his thirst.

As he filled his water-skin, he gazed upstream at the thundering waterfalls that fed this cascade. He clenched his teeth in frustration. Every group of fair folk he had tracked had either headed toward a human village, or the group had split and gone numerous ways.

Yet, nothing led in this direction. It was that very fact that piqued his interest, and why he had set up an observation post downstream late yesterday.

Several groups had passed his look-out point this morning, the last one about an hour ago. Following them had ended at the waterfall. No footprints led around the falls. The water was too swift and deep for them to be crossing to the opposite bank. Climbing the rock face to the top of the falls was extremely perilous. Even more mysterious, all footprints along this stream disappeared within an hour after the travelers passed by.

Burkehart stood, blowing on his numbing fingers to warm them before putting his glove back on. He noted the dense foliage surrounding him and smiled. It will be easy to conceal myself. All I need now is to find an existing path. A game trail would be perfect, one animals use to reach the stream. It would make it easier to obscure my movements and establish a new look-out point. He threw the strap of his water-skin over his shoulder and picked up his pack. He took another look around, then trudged up the bank toward the falls, keeping an eye out for any unusual movements or signs of danger, be they human, animal or, most importantly, fair folk.

Three more days. That's what I'll give myself. If I don't locate the entrance to the faerie realm by then, I'll head back and rejoin my men before they return to Castle Welf.

A few minutes later, Burkehart located a game trail across from the waterfall and followed it high into the foliage. After he secured his pack and found a good position to watch for travelers, he sat with his back against a tree, allowing himself to slump with his arms on his knees. He closed his eyes for a moment. I need to rest, but I can't stop now. His stomach growled, reminding him that he hadn't eaten since yesterday. With a sigh, he sat up and rummaged through his pack, found some dry meat, bit off a piece and tucked it in his cheek so he could suck on the juices.

A movement near the stream below caught his attention, and he peered through the leaves. A group of travelers was hiking toward the waterfall. Burkehart leaned forward. Are you human or fair folk?

Everyone was wearing a hat or cowl so he couldn't see their ears. Their traveling attire didn't distinguish them, but fair folk would try to blend in while traveling outside their realm. Burkehart glanced downstream. Another group was about two miles away. That gave him time to observe this group and track them if necessary. He heaved a self-satisfied sigh. This location gave him an excellent view of the falls and the canyon below.

Returning his attention to the first group of travelers, Burkehart watched as they reached the falls, and then stopped to adjust and secure their packs. One individual stepped onto the rocks jutting out of the streambed, balancing carefully, and advanced toward the torrent of falling water.

Burkehart sat up straighter and leaned forward. What is he doing?

The person balancing on the rocks continued forward and, just when it appeared he'd be knocked into the stream by the gushing surge, he disappeared behind the wall of water. One-by-one, the others followed.

Burkehart grinned. "You crafty devils."

With renewed energy, he grabbed his pack and rushed down the game trail, sliding down the steepest part so he wouldn't lose momentum. Within a few moments he stood breathless at the edge of the falls, grinning as mist sprayed toward him.

~~~
 



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Free stock photo. Artist = StuartMiles

Cast of Characters
*Piper = A musical apprentice, just turned age 15.
*Rupert = A musical apprentice. Piper's friend, age 14.
*Grand Master Raymond Acker = Head of the music guild. Piper's grandfather. Recently deceased leaving Piper an orphan under the care of the music guild.
*Captain Burkehart = Captain of the Guard at Castle Welf
*Redd-Leif Summerstorm = A Fae
*Master Braun = Troubadour recently promoted to the rank of Master in the music guild at Castle Welf
*Sheba = an enchanted creature in wolf form
*Melodica = an Elven female
*Master Raven = Elf; master hunter
*Lynx = Ten-year-old son of Redd-Leif and Melodica Summerstorm
*Serein = Six-year-old daughter of Redd-Leif and Melodica Summerstorm
*Master Crescendo = Elven High Mage, First Sage of Music and Song

Elementals, also called Fair Folk by humans
*Fae = Oldest of the elemental races. Known as strong, swift and deadly by their enemies. Characterized by white hair and skin that shimmers silver-blue in direct moonlight. Usually taller than humans and muscular.
*Elf = Most numerous of the elementals. Often slightly taller and more slender than humans.
*Pixie = In their normal form they are six inches tall with wings, but they can change size to as large as humans or as small as a faerie.
*Faerie = Vary in height from one to three inches. Wings vary and can appear to be like those of dragonflies or butterflies.

Fair Folk = Name given to faerie races by humans. Refers to elves, Fae, faeries, brownies, sprites, gnomes, dwarfs, etc.
~~~~
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.