Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted January 23, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A short review of a movie, I like

The Searchers

by Rikki66

Many writers I know are either addicted to the stage or are film buffs. I am the latter. I think Turner Classic Movies are the best thing on television. So I will tell you a bit about the film I think was the best western ever made. John Ford's The Searchers, starring John Wayne, Jeffery Hunter, and Natalie Wood.

The movie opens with a closed-door slowly opening showing a lone rider approaching a homestead in the vastness of Monument Valley. The contrast of the pitch black to brilliant color is amazing. The musical score enhances the emotion.

I will not tell the story but will give glances. This movie made in 1956 displays Native Americans in a very poor light, as savage warriors and ruthless killers. At the same time, the Texas Rangers and Calvary are portrayed as heroic saviors. We Know that both were good and both were evil depending upon the context and the audience.

In this film, John Wayne has a catchphrase, 'That'll be the day' it is repeated several times during the film. It is said that this was the inspiration for Buddy Holly's song 'That'll be the day'. Rock out.

In one scene one of the last remaining Buffalo herds is on prominent display. In almost all scenes the beauty of the Monument Valley is on display. This is the role that should have given John Wayne the Oscar but did not.

The movie ends with the Duke walking away from a homestead and the door slowly closing to black. If you have a chance I recommend a viewing.





It was suggested to me that I write some short pieces on the movies I love
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rikki66 All rights reserved.
Rikki66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.