General Poetry posted January 18, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Been around for a long time...

#SymbolLivesOn

by Y. M. Roger


From pound sign to octothorpe,
its new incarnation lives on as
‘hashtag’ in the Twitter-verse

 



Obscure Word 7-9-7 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Ladies and Gentlemen (and all other members to whom these monikers may not apply!): it's time once again for the Obscure Word 7-9-7! Find a word that truly exists but that, for some reason or another, has been out of the mainstream -- and bring it back for us! ;) Or it can be a new one that has wormed its way into the younger vocabulary enough to be put into the Urban Dictionary!! ;) Your choice!

Your poem should be of the format:

First Line -- 7 syllables
Second Line -- 9 syllables
Third Line -- 7 syllables

It should highlight/explain/define an obscure word** for us and really make us want to use it the next time we compose an offering whether it be prose or poetry! :) Remember, keep it mostly clean (know that's difficult for some of you out there, but it IS only 23 syllables so I'm sure you can manage it!) and impress us! :-) :-)

BE SURE to include a COMPLETE definition of your obscure word** in your author notes. Make it fun, make it intriguing, but, most of all, make us want to vote for yours!! LET THE OBSCURITY BEGIN!! :)

**Due to their over-appearance in previous contests, the following words are hereby OFF-LIMITS:

Crapulence
Huckmuck
Gwenders

Recognized



#The official name of the symbol located at the bottom right hand corner of phone keypads or as the 'shift' of the number three (3) key on keyboards is the OCTOTHORPE. Also called a hash or a pound sign, the symbol has roots in 14th century Latin.
According to one origin story of the '#' symbol, people began abbreviating the Latin term for "pound weight" (libra pondo) as lb. At the time, it was common to add a horizontal bar to abbreviations, known as a tittle, to show that the two letters were connected, and to indicate that the letter 'l' (ell) was not the number "1" (one).
As scribes started writing this sign faster and faster, lb began to morph into the tic-tac-toe-board shape we know today. A handwritten manuscript from Sir Isaac Newton shows a middle point in the process: instead of lifting his pen before drawing the tittle, he messily looped the letters together, forming an early version of the '#' symbol.
AT&T added the symbol and the asterisk to telephones in order to make the keypad a neat square. At that time, the # still didn't have an official name. Unsure what to call it in the user's manual, employees at Bell Labs made up the name 'octotherp,' which eventually became the octothorpe.
The '#' symbol is presently used to label hashtags - meant to denote importance or locate information - on most social media platforms, the most widely recognized one being Twitter.
[Information gathered/summarized from Mental Floss (www.mentalfloss.com)]


Image from www.marketingmag.com.au


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.