Supernatural Flash Fiction posted January 17, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Who was the mysterious stanger?

The Old Man Who Saved Us

by papa55mike


I don't know why the bus has to drop us at the end of the road. It's a half a mile walk to our old house at the end of the street. I can tell that Emily has been a butt at school today. She has that solemn look on her face. Emily gives that look to Mom and melts her heart. Mom will brush her red hair out of her eyes then kiss her forehead, forgiving anything.

"It's enough to make me sick."

"What did you say, Bonnie?"

"Nothing."

"Will you help me with my math homework?"

"What choice do I have? If I don't, you'll run to Mom and tell her that I hate you because I won't help. I don't want to get grounded for a week."

"It's so tough being a third-grader." Emily pours it on.

"You think third grade is difficult, wait until you're a freshman."

"I don't think I'll make it that far. Life is so hard."

I roll my eyes and keep walking.

"What's that smell, Bonnie?"

It smells like rotten eggs, and the odor fills the air. "I don't know, but it sure is strong."

We're almost to our old house. Grandpa built it in the fifties to look like a real castle complete with battlements and parapets. I love the faces carved in the enormous stones placed around the castle - some are a little creepy. I see the red tile roof from here.

There's a noise behind us. A loud car puffing out black smoke comes racing right at us. It sounds like it's falling apart while an older man hits the brakes beside us. The old car grinds and squeaks to a stop in front of us. The left front hubcap comes off of the car and rolls across the street. It's a Buick. I remember Grandpa had a car like that.

Emily and I can't move when the man leaps out of the car. His scraggly grey hair flies in all directions. He has a toothless smile, but beautiful blue eyes, peering through thick glasses. "Please, children, come with me. We only have a few minutes!"

"Go, where?" I scream at him.

"Just three blocks over. You'll be safe there."

"I don't know!"

"I have to do this, children." He grabs both of our arms and jerks us towards the car. The door quickly opens by itself before we get there. He tosses us in the front seat. It suddenly slams while he runs to the driver's side and jumps in. "We've got to go."

The man floors the accelerator. Spins the Buick around and speeds down the street. Smoke is billowing out the back of the car.

I'm looking around the front seat. It's full of old cigarette packs, coke bottles, and newspapers. I don't know how the man sees through all of the cracks in the windshield.

He doesn't stop at the intersection, and the old car swerves around the corner.

Three blocks down, he slams on the brakes and almost throws Emily and me through the windshield. The strange door opens again while he walks around the car. "Wait here. You should be safe now. Your Mother and Father will find you soon."

We both slide out of the car then step up on the sidewalk.

He smiles at us then jumps in behind the wheel. The car starts down the road then disappears.

I turn to Emily, and ask, "What just hap..."

It starts as a low rumble underground, then the sound of the explosion fills the air. We see the shock waves coming at us when the massive ball of fire fills the sky. The force of the shock waves throws us against a wooden fence. We tumble to the ground, I grab Emily and throw my arms around her. Both of us huddle together with sobs of fear pouring out of us.

A few minutes later, a policeman and two firemen come running up to us. "Are you Bonnie and Emily?"

I barely nod a yes.

"Oh, thank God. We thought you were in the house. Let me call your parents."

I see Dad's car screech to a stop on the street. Mom almost falls out of the car, trying to get to us. She's screaming, "You're alive; you're alive!" Mom begins to kiss both of us on the forehead.

Dad asks, "How did you get here?"

"There was a man in an old Buick. He stopped us before we got home." It's all I can do to answer through the sobs. "He threw us in his car and brought us here, then jumped back in his car and disappeared down the road." I can tell they don't believe me.

Mom shakes her head. "It doesn't matter, sweetie. You're alive."

~

Three days later.

Dad pulls up to the charred hole in the ground that was our house. The fireman said it was a natural gas explosion. Nothing is left. We get out, and Mom starts to cry.

Emily runs across the street and grabs the old hubcap from the mysterious car. She brings it to Mom. "This thing flew off of his car when it stopped in front of us."

"That's right!" I chime in. "See Dad; it says, Buick right here. Do you believe us now?"

Their stunned looks reveal the truth.




If you're interested in the castle in the picture, it's for sale. The price is 2.8 million dollars.

What a fun write!

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.