Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 9, 2020 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Monica's father demands answers

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 14

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself. A series of murders led the police to suspect Monica may be a serial killer.
Ending of Chapter 13: "If Monica has her sights on me, I'm sure she has big plans for me, and her daddy seems to get things done. She probably sees me becoming the President one day. President Robert Mitchell. Has a nice ring to it." Rob laughed.

Martin shook his head. "I don't like it. She is *bat, you know what, crazy. She's used a gun, fire, a hammer, and poison. Who knows how many guys she's killed. I don't like the thought of you being in the same room with her let along dating her. Sarah is going to have a fit."

"I'll deal with Sarah. We have to stop this nut-case or Sarah could be her next victim."

Martin shook his head again, but gave in. "You wear a wire and I'm there for everything."

Rob nodded. "First, let's have Doc go over all the forensics again with a fine tooth comb. Make sure nothing was missed. We just need one hair, a fiber, a partial fingerprint, anything."

"I'll give him a call, but you know Doc. He's already done that."

*******************************************

"Monica." Jonathan Landers said Monica's name as a statement, not a question. There was a coldness in his tone.

"Hello, Daddy," Monica said. She noticed the coldness but chose to ignore it.

"What have you gotten into now?" he demanded.

"What do you mean?" Monica's hand that held the phone shook.

"It seems the Sheriff's Department in Big Sky, as well as the Kalispell County Police Department are doing a background check on you. Do you know why they would be looking into your past? I got a call from one of your college professors at Stanford saying he got a call from Big Sky PD asking about your behavior while attending there."

Mr. Landers had indulged his daughter to the point of her literally getting away with murder. He knew about the student who had disappeared while she attended Stanford and he knew she had been involved somehow.

Jonathan Landers had spent a small fortune getting his daughter out of trouble. It seemed to follow her wherever she went.

She was very high spirited, much like himself. She had never been shy, but always aggressive and people didn't understand her. He always had an excuse for her, even when he knew she inflicted pain on others. His generous settlements, that were just between him, the injured party and his lawyer, helped heal the wounds, or so he thought. Money could buy anything, couldn't it?

But even he had his limits when it came to indulging his only child. He had let her know she had better stay on the straight and narrow or else.

"Monica, what have you done that they feel they needed to look into your past? I told you no more bad behavior. One day my money won't be able to save you from whatever you have gotten yourself into. I'm coming close to cutting you off."

Monica felt her heart race. If he cut off her funds, she'd be destitute. She might even have to get a job.

"Daddy, I promise, I haven't done anything. I did get a new gun. Mine disappeared somehow. Maybe it's just a background check. They do those when you buy a gun."

Why did she always sound like a ignorant child when speaking to her father?

"Yes, I am aware of background checks done when you purchase a firearm, but this goes way beyond that. And what do you mean you lost your gun? You are so irresponsible! The police are looking for something more and I want to know why?" His voice had an edge of steel in it. Monica knew that voice and it didn't bode well for her.

"I really don't know, Daddy. I just have no idea why the Sheriff's Department here at Big Sky would feel the need to look into my past. Maybe they don't have enough to do. This is such a tiny town, maybe they conduct background checks on all the citizens to keep busy."

There I go, sounding like an ignorant child again.

Monica, of course, knew exactly why they might be looking into her background. They must have somehow connected the dots and found she was involved in some degree with all three men she had murdered. She was afraid she might be pushing her luck a bit killing *Matthew Whiting. Maybe he was one death too many. Monica did something she had never done in her life. She hung up on her father.

Hurrying to her closet, she pulled out her largest suitcase and began throwing clothes into it. She would have to leave the country.

"Anna!" The housekeeper hurried into Monica's room. "There is an emergency at home. I have to leave within the hour. I don't know how long I'll be gone, but I want you to keep an eye on the house while I'm away. I'll let you know when I plan to return."

Anna nodded and helped her mistress pack. Monica told her she could leave for the day, then she got two passports and cash from her safe. Calling the airport, she made a reservation for a flight leaving for Europe. From there she would catch a flight back to South America under her assumed name. Investing in a second passport under a fake name was proving a wise decision, she feared it may come in handy one day, today was that day. She could have asked for her father to send his private jet, but she was afraid of the questions she would have to answer.

Feeling a pang of regret over leaving Rob, she wished she could have met him as he had asked. He had called her the night before. Feeling bad about having to miss her dinner party, he wanted to make it up to her by taking her to dinner without Sarah. She had been so excited. She knew he'd eventually fall victim to her charm and beauty. Now she suspected it was a ploy. No doubt a police sting to try to get her to confess to murder.

Her regret soon turned to anger. He never cared about me, he just wanted to solve a case. Something to show what a great policeman he is. A check-mark on his resume.

Well, maybe she would give him another case to solve, one close to home and his heart.

Raging with anger and letting her impulse take control, Monica grabbed her gun out of the safe. She dragged the heavy suitcase to her car and wrestled it into the trunk, slamming the lid closed. She had two hours before her flight left. Pulling her car into the street, she pointed it towards Sarah's bakery.



 




Monica Landers-a spoiled narcissist obsessed with Rob.
Jonathan Landers-Monica's Millionaire Father.
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband-Monica is pursuing him.
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Martin Robinson - Sheriff's Lieutenant.
Nadine-Sarah's cousin and employee at the bakery
William Myers-Monica's lawyer and murder victim.
*Matthew Whiting-Herbalist- last murder victim-poisoned
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.