General Fiction posted December 25, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One last wish

The Wishing Stone

by Chrissy710

The Wishing Stone

It was four thirty pm on Christmas Eve and Joan had just finished her housework. Meticulous and house-proud, Joan put the vacuum cleaner away and looked around, everything in its place. Christmas tree decorated and presents wrapped and placed under the tree, ready for the kids next day.

Joan thought, I wish Jack was here to play 'Santa. Joan's memories flooded back to past Christmas's when Jack would do his Santa duties prior to Christmas lunch. Everyone would gather around the tree. The children all eagerly waiting for their presents to be thrown to them by Jack.

He delighted in tossing the presents to each recipient despite Joan's protests. "Be careful Jack, there may be something breakable in the gift." Jack would just grin and toss the next one a little harder. Nothing ever got broken and it became Jacks tradition, so everyone expected Dad or Grandpa to toss the presents.

Joan smiled as she remembered. It had been eight years since Jack died and she still missed him terribly. Although Joan's family was very attentive to her and she saw them frequently, nothing was ever the same and at times like this her sadness and loneliness overtook her emotions. She felt a tear trickle down her cheek.

Joan and Jack had been married sixty-one years before that fateful day, when, Jack had slipped down the street for some bread and milk. "I'll be back in five," he said as he kissed her while going out through the kitchen door, "I'll just pop down to the shop before it closes." "Ok Jack," replied Joan as she watched him walk down the path. Little did she know.

Jack and Joan lived in a small rural town called Bramford, and enjoyed the company of their family and friends. Jack worked in the local hardware store and had become manager of his department when he was thirty-nine. Leaving school early, not an academic, he was hired as a teenager by Scott and Scott and had worked in various areas until he was made manager of the woodwork section. Jack became an expert in all areas and knew all the right tools for any wood working job and if anyone ever needed advice Jack was the man to go to.

Joan had become a Nurse, beginning her nursing training at the local hospital when she was seventeen and had achieved several post graduate certificates during her long career. Joan became the Nurse Unit Manager of the medical ward and worked for twenty-five years before retiring at sixty-five

Jack and Joan were hard workers and had purchased their modest four-bedroom house in Bramford sixty years ago. They were so proud when they finally paid off their mortgage. They lived quite well and provided for their three children Cindy, James and Peter who they raised in a loving, happy, but strict environment instilling good moral and working ethic to each child, who loved their parents and all did well in their own chosen careers.

Cindy naturally followed in her mother's footsteps and became a nurse. James became a plasterer and owned his own business. Peter completed his apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic and was very handy with a car.

Cindy married at age twenty-two and with her husband Leon went on to have three children. Eliza, the eldest now fifteen, Kevin, now twelve and the youngest Beth, just turned ten. Grandpa Jack would tease Beth, calling her Baby Beth whenever he saw her. Although pretending to be annoyed, Beth would always run into his arms for a Pa cuddle on her arrival to Grandpa's house.

Jack, never returned with the milk and bread. Crossing the street at the lights, he was run down by a local lout who ran the red light. Failing to stop in time before he hit Jack. Milk and bread went flying everywhere.

Joan remembered the knock on the door. Thinking Jack had forgotten his key she walked down the passage to the front door, stopping suddenly when she saw the two shadows behind the frosted glass door. Knock, knock, again. Joan slowly opened the door to see Sargent Tom Brown and Constable Ian Matthews, standing on the veranda. Joan knew instantly by their somber demeanor that something terrible had happened.

Sargent Brown looked at Joan and as gently as he could told her about Jack accident. "It would have been quick Joan, he died instantly, nothing anyone could do. We are so very sorry, Jack was a good bloke, well liked and respected."

Joan's face dissolved into a flood of tears as she held her face in her hands and screamed "No!" as Sargent Brown put his arm around her. "Let's go inside Joan." As he led her into the lounge room, Joan's legs gave way and she fell into the chair. "Why? he was only going for some milk and bread, not to get run down," she sobbed.

Young Constable Matthews seeing Joan's distress asked if there was anyone they could contact and offered to make Joan a cup of tea. Within the next few hours Joan's family were notified and their three children hurried to her side. "I can't go on without Jack," Joan cried. "What will I do without him now?"

Eight years had passed, and Joan did go on despite her grief and daily sadness, but it was times like this especially at Christmas that Joan missed him more than ever.

Joan had a special trinket box in the spare room with family photos and special gifts that Jack had given her over their years together. Feeling nostalgic Joan decided to go and retrieve the box and again look over these trinket memories. Climbing on the small step ladder Joan reached into the cupboard and found the box.

Joan then sat at the kitchen table and after making herself a cup of tea she then unlocked the small lock and opened the lid. Photos on top, ones of her and Jack. Joan smiled at how young they both looked as she remembered when each photo was taken. They were a handsome couple. Jack a tall, dark haired man, strong and good looking, a good catch in Joan's eyes. Also, in her girlfriends' eyes as well. "Oh, your Jack is a handsome devil," they told her, "lucky girl." Joan herself was a pretty blonde, a nice figure, average height and according to Jack had the loveliest smile for miles around. The photo's told the stories as Joan lovingly held each one and gazed at them with fond remembrance.

Joan also picked up the beautiful opal broach Jack had given to her on their forty fifth wedding anniversary. A gorgeous blue, green opal that sparkled with red and orange hues when held to the light. Another small box revealed a pearl ring, her thirtieth wedding anniversary gift from Jack.

Then as Joan removed two or three more photos her eyes rested on another small item. Frowning, Joan picked it up to find a sealed opaque bag with a dark coloured stone as its content. The label read,
Wishing Stone.'He who holds this stone will be granted one wish.'

Joan had forgotten this and then laughed in the memory of receiving this from Jack years ago, but decided then not to open it instead putting it into her trinket box, saying to Jack "One day I will open this and see if my wish will be granted."

Joan held up the unopened bag and decided that she would open it today. Laughing to herself as she did. Wishing stone indeed she thought I only have one wish so make it a good one. With that she carefully opened the bag, reaching in took out the stone and held it in her hand. It felt quite cold. Joan closed her eyes and made her wish.

A noise in the room disturbed her thought and she opened her eyes "Hello love," Jack said as he stood in the kitchen dressed, in his favourite jumper and grey-coloured trousers. Joan blinked her eyes and with a gasp looked straight at him. "Jack," she said in a barely audible whisper.

Unsure if she was seeing things, Joan closed her eyes and again opened them quickly. Sure enough there stood Jack, grinning at her. "Finished the housework love, now we can enjoy the Christmas Carols tonight," he announced. "I suppose the kids will be here early tomorrow as usual and of course the grandkids will be excited seeing the presents under the tree."

"Yes, I know, no tossing the gifts," he said, as Joan stood, mouth agape. Words failed her as she tried to comprehend what was going on. "Jack," she said again as she rushed over to him, flinging her arms around him. As she reached up, looking into his eyes she asked "Is it really you? you're here."

"Well, where else would I be?" Jack said a little perplexed at the intimate greeting she was giving him. Joan, although a caring, loving wife didn't usually run into his arms every time he walked into the kitchen. Joan stopped, Jack felt and smelled like Jack. No, she wasn't dreaming he really was here.

"Nearly time for tea love," Jack said, "Did you get the prawns?" They always had a platter of prawns, cheese and biscuits for supper while they watched the 'Christmas Eve, Carols by Candlelight on the TV. "Can I set the table for tea? What have you made us for tea tonight? I'm starving," he said. Joan had made a Salmon quiche and green salad so there was enough for two anyway.

Joan wanted to ask Jack so many questions, but was stuck for words as Jack seemed to be as ordinary as usual, so she decided to just go with the flow. Don't ask any questions, just enjoy her wish. "I wish I could have Jack back for one more a day," was what she had wished for, while holding the 'wishing stone.'

They dined on the quiche and salad and Jack had a beer. There was always a beer in the fridge for when James or Peter came over, so she didn't have to worry about getting any for Jack. After tea they both cleared up. Joan washed the dishes while Jack dried and put them away. They had started this ritual when first married and never a day went by when the nighttime dishes were left unattended.

Around eight pm, Joan went into the kitchen and prepared the platter of prawn's cheese and biscuits, before settling down next to Jack to watch the carols. This was a tradition they both enjoyed and had done so for many years. They both liked to have a quiet Christmas Eve, just themselves together, no noise, no distractions and enjoying the singing while nibbling on their platter. No prawn was ever left.

Joan kept thinking to herself, am I really dreaming, how can Jack be here? But she was too scared to think otherwise unless he suddenly disappeared. Just enjoy the experience for as long as Jack is here.

The carol's finished around eleven pm and Jack said "Well, time for bed before we have the crew arrive in the morning ready for our Christmas day." Joan a little hesitant hoped into bed, but then reached out and snuggled against Jack who held her in a gentle embrace, kissing her tenderly. "I love you Joannie, always will," as they were swept into intimacy.

The light peeped through the bedroom window as they both stretched out and opened their eyes. When Joan looked at the clock it was six thirty. "Well time to get up, plenty to do." She reached over and kissed Jack "Merry Christmas my love," and then said "Come on get up," as she saw his grinning face. "Merry Christmas Joannie," he replied and as she looked at his beckoning eyes. She was tempted to stay in bed, but her determination to have everything ready before the kids arrived overrode her desire.

Just go with the flow she said to herself. Jack soon followed Joan out of bed, showered and dressed they put the kettle on, and Joan made their breakfast. Christmas croissants filled with ham and cheese.

Joan prepared the meats and vegetables for their Christmas lunch, as always, a traditional fare, roast lamb, beef, pork, and chicken. All the various vegetables and again she hoped her potatoes would crisp up perfectly today. Joan could never quite get her potatoes to roast as crisply as her mother-in-law, Elsie had been able to, and usually James would comment, "Not as good as Nan's spuds Mum, but not bad, getting better." Joan smiled; this year will be no different.

Once the vegetable and meat were in the oven, Joan also carried out her own tradition. She would start with the eldest and ring her brothers and sisters and then Jacks family to wish them all a Merry Christmas. This was the one time of the year she caught up with some. Always too busy for visiting throughout the year, but a Christmas phone call was a must in her eyes.

At eleven am the doorbell rang and Joan suddenly thought. Oh, I haven't told the kids about Jack, what will they do when they see him, they'll all be in shock. How will they react? However, as this thought had entered Joan's mind, Jack was at the front door opening it. "Hello Dad, Merry Christmas," Cindy said as she reached in to give him a kiss. "Merry Christmas Punkin," he said back.

Punkin was the nickname Jack had given to Cindy when she was a little girl and always called her that unless a serious conversation was required. Leon, Cindy's husband reached out to shake Jacks hand "Merry Christmas Jack," he said, just as the three grandchildren pushed passed them, each one giving Jack a hug before running in to see Joan. "Merry Christmas Nan," they all echoed. James and Peter and their wives Laura and Ann arrived not long after and the greetings began again.

At twelve thirty everyone gathered around the Christmas tree. Joan said nothing, but secretly pinched herself and thought it was as if nothing has changed. Jack's been gone eight years, but no one seems to be aware of this. Just go with the flow she thought again.

Jack began his Santa ritual, tossing gifts left right and centre as he called out the names. Excitedly all presents were opened and admired. "Gee thanks Nan and Pa for the lovely gold bracelet," Eliza said as she put in on her wrist. "it's beautiful." "Thanks Nan," said Kevin as he inspected the new skateboard, followed by Beth who was admiring the new 'talking toy puppy' she had seen one day while shopping with Joan. "Wow, she said, this is so cool."

The adults echoed these sentiments and that was that, no presents had come to any harm and Joan smiled. "Righty Oh who's hungry? let's all have lunch," announced Jack, as they sat down to the beautifully laid out table.

Christmas bon-bons were pulled, hats on, and jokes read out as Joan served the lunch. James went to speak, but Joan cut him off "I know the spuds aren't as good as Nan's," and they both smiled at each other. "Not bad though Mum, getting better." Ah tradition. The discussion around the table was festive and animated conversation. Pudding was served with lashings of custard and cream.

Jack sat back and rubbed his belly "I'm as full as a boot," he announced."Well done Joan another winning Christmas lunch." Everyone agreed and once lunch was finished Jack said. "Who's up for a game of cricket?" "Me, me, me," the grandkids shouted followed by the adults. Soon they were all in the backyard where the bat and ball stood against the iron wickets.

For as long as they could remember, Cindy, Peter and James always played 'Christmas Cricket' after lunch on Christmas day until everyone had a turn of batting and then bowling. The three grandkids all joined in and it was anyone's guess who had the best fun.

Joan stood back and smiled at the happy family gathering and although still in disbelief at Jack's return, said nothing for fear everyone would think she had lost her marbles.

Jack happened to look up from the pitch to see her happy face and blew her a kiss before belting the ball, pitched by Kevin and straight into Cindy's hands. "Out," she shouted as she caught the ball. They all laughed as Jack, sad faced, walked away from the pitch towards Joan. He put his arm around her and said "What a beaut day Joan, everyone here, we are so lucky."

As the afternoon wore on, each family member left their parents, until Jack and Joan were at last alone. Joan had wondered about the time, and had been checking the clock throughout the day. 'One day,'
she thought.

It was around four forty-five when she looked up to see Jack walking over to her. "Out of milk and bread," he said. "I'll just slip down to the shop for some before it closes," as he kissed her before walking out the kitchen door heading down the path. Before she could stop him, he was gone.

Joan closed her eyes, and tears ran down her face, then she reached out to pick up the wishing stone she had left on the shelf. Joan held the stone close to her heart. "Goodbye my love, and thanks for my one more day," she whispered as she quietly closed the kitchen door.

Christine 25/12/2019






Christmas Story contest entry

Recognized


My first long story written for any FS contest and thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed it I appreciate all comments and suggestions re punctuation and grammar and have revised it this morning, however if it need more editing I would appreciate further suggestions.

I am an Australian so some terms may be unfamiliar to some readers Also spelling is as we would do here UK english. i,e. Favourite. not favorite we use ou in many words.

I hope you enjoy my Story it is loosly based on many things we do in my family although the story is fictitious.

Thanks to jgrace for the image Christmas Wishes

Thanks for reading my work

Cheers Christine 25/12/2019
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.